gassing up

DJS_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Push down on the front of the cap until the key turns sideways to remove key. You can't take it out when the gas cap is open.

hmm side stand normally snaps right up. It is right in front of peg so I push it down with the heel of my foot when I take it off the peg.

Forget the right reset button. It's for clock and maybe something else.

Trip meter runs thru odometer (total miles)
Trip A 3 modes, miles on A , ave mpg on A and how much fuel you used on A

trip B 3 modes same as above
and umm something else
use left button to toggle thru and left button to zero

I use trip A for daily rides. Every morning it gets zeroed. Every evening I write down my mileage in a log. all 3 bikes.
trip B is for my mileage on that tank of gas all 3 bikes
only see odometer when I am cycling thru

wait until you get to miles left on fuel on flashing reserve. It will blow your mind. No matter what mode you're in it will switch to how many miles left on tank starting around 63 I think, then total odometer miles then counting down how many miles left on tank and total odometer miles and it keeps doing that until you run out or fill up lol

When I fill up, I zero B and everything is back to normal

It might feel better to you to stand next to the bike behind the handlebars ( not in front like you were doing), turn the bars to the right, and pump gas with the left hand, rather than trying to pump over the handlebars.
i could have sworn when i picked up the bike that the guy at one point had the cap open and the key removed.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Push down on the front of the cap until the key turns sideways to remove key. You can't take it out when the gas cap is open.

hmm side stand normally snaps right up. It is right in front of peg so I push it down with the heel of my foot when I take it off the peg.

Forget the right reset button. It's for clock and maybe something else.

Trip meter runs thru odometer (total miles)
Trip A 3 modes, miles on A , ave mpg on A and how much fuel you used on A

trip B 3 modes same as above
and umm something else
use left button to toggle thru and left button to zero

I use trip A for daily rides. Every morning it gets zeroed. Every evening I write down my mileage in a log. all 3 bikes.
trip B is for my mileage on that tank of gas all 3 bikes
only see odometer when I am cycling thru

wait until you get to miles left on fuel on flashing reserve. It will blow your mind. No matter what mode you're in it will switch to how many miles left on tank starting around 63 I think, then total odometer miles then counting down how many miles left on tank and total odometer miles and it keeps doing that until you run out or fill up lol

When I fill up, I zero B and everything is back to normal

It might feel better to you to stand next to the bike behind the handlebars ( not in front like you were doing), turn the bars to the right, and pump gas with the left hand, rather than trying to pump over the handlebars.
i could have sworn when i picked up the bike that the guy at one point had the cap open and the key removed.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
i am a little paranoid about the key scratching the tank while the cap is open.
i have the cycle key and house key on the same ring.
i also am not too fond of the key scratching up the top clamp tripple tree area.
as such the house key is wrapped in a sheath of old inner tube rubber.
 
DJS_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Push down on the front of the cap until the key turns sideways to remove key. You can't take it out when the gas cap is open.

hmm side stand normally snaps right up. It is right in front of peg so I push it down with the heel of my foot when I take it off the peg.

Forget the right reset button. It's for clock and maybe something else.

Trip meter runs thru odometer (total miles)
Trip A 3 modes, miles on A , ave mpg on A and how much fuel you used on A

trip B 3 modes same as above
and umm something else
use left button to toggle thru and left button to zero

I use trip A for daily rides. Every morning it gets zeroed. Every evening I write down my mileage in a log. all 3 bikes.
trip B is for my mileage on that tank of gas all 3 bikes
only see odometer when I am cycling thru

wait until you get to miles left on fuel on flashing reserve. It will blow your mind. No matter what mode you're in it will switch to how many miles left on tank starting around 63 I think, then total odometer miles then counting down how many miles left on tank and total odometer miles and it keeps doing that until you run out or fill up lol

When I fill up, I zero B and everything is back to normal

It might feel better to you to stand next to the bike behind the handlebars ( not in front like you were doing), turn the bars to the right, and pump gas with the left hand, rather than trying to pump over the handlebars.
i could have sworn when i picked up the bike that the guy at one point had the cap open and the key removed.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
i am a little paranoid about the key scratching the tank while the cap is open.
i have the cycle key and house key on the same ring.
i also am not too fond of the key scratching up the top clamp tripple tree area.
as such the house key is wrapped in a sheath of old inner tube rubber.
Unlikely. Honda's been using that cap design for 25 yrs. (got the same one on my '93 CB750). It positively locks the key in the cap when the cap is open. I suppose if your key was old and worn, you might be able to slip it out with the cap open.
i am a little paranoid about the key scratching the tank while the cap is open.
i have the cycle key and house key on the same ring.
i a


lso am not too fond of the key scratching up the top clamp tripple tree area.
as such the house key is wrapped in a sheath of old inner tube rubber.
Do not have anything else on that key chain. Put your bike key on a rubber plastic soft key holder with one small metal ring and that's it. Open gas cap slowly and only the rubber plastic key chain should touch tank, they key won't touch. If you put another key on it your just looking for trouble. Get used to the one key, period.
 
Centerstand about 80% of the time and sometimes I'll fill up while sitting. There is a risk of getting a lapful of gasoline if you're at an unfamiliar station, or if someone comes up to you and says, "Hey, is that a (insert model name of some completely different manufacturer)?" and makes you look away for a split-second just as it's getting full.

I definitely get off the bike if I'm on a long trip so I can walk around and stretch my legs.
 
Guess I'm in the minority here. I just pull up to the pump, stand up and straddle the bike between my legs, reach over and insert my credit card, fill the tank, return the nozzle to the pump, grab my receipt, snap the gas cap closed, and ride off. I don't need to get off the bike just to put gas in it. I'm in and out in about a minute.
 
If you tried that in Australia, LR, they wouldn’t activate the pump. I tried it once and a voice boomed through a loud speaker instructing me to get off the bike.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
If you tried that in Australia, LR, they wouldn’t activate the pump. I tried it once and a voice boomed through a loud speaker instructing me to get off the bike.
Same rule applies here in Canada, but never heard/witnessed pump being shut off.
Get off the bike, that what safety says, and I follow it. Side stand for local rides, center for long distance. I am between pump and my bike, while pump on my L-side, all these apply 99% when refuelling.
 
This looks like a tall bloke like you, LR. :P


 
Between California's vapor recovery nozzle and my fear of a spill, I haven't yet mastered fully filling the gas tank--I always end up one bar down...
 
I always leave home with a full tank , I use the no spill type 5 gallon container. This is a very easy to use container don't even need a funnel and especially easy to use when filling the 2017 tank with the smaller opening.
 
I belong to the centerstand, left side of bike, nozzle in right hand group. One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned, and it's an old habit of mine: When the tank is filled to my satisfaction, I let the nozzle lever return to 'off', but leave it in the tank, reach back and flip the pump off. Then pull the nozzle lever back up to 'on', lift the nozzle so I can see the end of it, and watch those last few drops drain out. When the drips slow to a point that I can pull the nozzle out (still over the fill hole of the tank) and flip it sideways, I carefully pull the nozzle away from the tank and replace it in the pump.


And yes, I've been accused of "trying to get the very last drop" :-/ or "stealing" gasoline,:huh: but those remarks miss the point entirely, to avoid spilling even a drop on that precious paint.
 
I always grab a paper towel from the dispenser and put it in my left hand. When I pull the nozzle out of the tank, I put the paper towel under the nozzle to catch any drips which my fall. If there aren't any paper towels, then I put my hand under. Maybe a drip will get on my glove. But never on my paint!
 
Roper_imp said:
I always grab a paper towel from the dispenser and put it in my left hand. When I pull the nozzle out of the tank, I put the paper towel under the nozzle to catch any drips which my fall. If there aren't any paper towels, then I put my hand under. Maybe a drip will get on my glove. But never on my paint!
In the future, I may apply your formule when in washroom :P
 
:s Too much information!
 
Back
Top