Gas Mileage?

OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
thinking about this thread, today was an experimental day for me and the 14 DLX, in terms of gas used, miles ridden etc and computer vs calculater.

My previous highest distance on a single tank was 203 miles.

today while riding I looked down and was in the high 160's. Hadn't gone to flashing and count down mode yet.

Ride on.

At 172.5 my last bar started flashing and the count down started at 65 miles of fuel remaining.

Ride on

The count down mode continued as I rode..60, 53, 49, 41, 39, 32, 30 as the miles ticked away

Ride on (but not much further)

At 27 miles remaining I pulled in for gas (Heck I don't know how accurate this thing is and I didn't want to push)

Toggling thru I had gone 220.1 miles on this tank.
Computer said I had used 4.0 gal gas
Computer said I averaged 54.7 mpg

So I filled it up as usual, into the neck

Took 4.03 gal to fill
Calculator says I averaged 54.6 mpg
Calculator says there should be .57 gal of gas left (or approx. 31 miles at 54 mpg)

Computer said I had used 4.0 gals, and 4.03 was needed to fill
Computer sais I averaged 54.7 and I figured 54.6

That's pretty dang close.

and I know if push comes to shove I can go more than 225 miles on a tank (theoretically 251.16)

I don't plan on finding out though, any time over 175 is a good time to refill.
Ok, dont mean to hijack this thread but Ferret What did you get with your 750? I am all over the place because my situations vary so much. Or, what is the difference in gas mileage on a 750 and an 1100 in your experience?
Sorry Oldguy just found this. I was gone on a trip when you posted it.
I would routinely go over 200 miles on a tank on the 750 Nighthawk. I can't remember exactly what mileage I got, but I'm thinking around 50 mpg, and if I remember correctly after going 200 miles it would take about 4 gals to refill. What has been your experience?
 
The ferret_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
thinking about this thread, today was an experimental day for me and the 14 DLX, in terms of gas used, miles ridden etc and computer vs calculater.

My previous highest distance on a single tank was 203 miles.

today while riding I looked down and was in the high 160's. Hadn't gone to flashing and count down mode yet.

Ride on.

At 172.5 my last bar started flashing and the count down started at 65 miles of fuel remaining.

Ride on

The count down mode continued as I rode..60, 53, 49, 41, 39, 32, 30 as the miles ticked away

Ride on (but not much further)

At 27 miles remaining I pulled in for gas (Heck I don't know how accurate this thing is and I didn't want to push)

Toggling thru I had gone 220.1 miles on this tank.
Computer said I had used 4.0 gal gas
Computer said I averaged 54.7 mpg

So I filled it up as usual, into the neck

Took 4.03 gal to fill
Calculator says I averaged 54.6 mpg
Calculator says there should be .57 gal of gas left (or approx. 31 miles at 54 mpg)

Computer said I had used 4.0 gals, and 4.03 was needed to fill
Computer sais I averaged 54.7 and I figured 54.6

That's pretty dang close.

and I know if push comes to shove I can go more than 225 miles on a tank (theoretically 251.16)

I don't plan on finding out though, any time over 175 is a good time to refill.
Ok, dont mean to hijack this thread but Ferret What did you get with your 750? I am all over the place because my situations vary so much. Or, what is the difference in gas mileage on a 750 and an 1100 in your experience?
Sorry Oldguy just found this. I was gone on a trip when you posted it.
I would routinely go over 200 miles on a tank on the 750 Nighthawk. I can't remember exactly what mileage I got, but I'm thinking around 50 mpg, and if I remember correctly after going 200 miles it would take about 4 gals to refill. What has been your experience?
Sorry Oldguy just found this. I was gone on a trip when you posted it.
I would routinely go over 200 miles on a tank on the 750 Nighthawk. I can't remember exactly what mileage I got, but I'm thinking around 50 mpg, and if I remember correctly after going 200 miles it would take about 4 gals to refill. What has been your experience?
I have seen as high as 53-54 and as low as about 41-42. I usually always get at least 45-46. Last three tanks have all been 50+ but that is a lot of 2 lane roads riding 60 and under. Running it up to 75 on the interstates make it burn fuel with no wind screen. That is where its at its worst.

I was just curious how it compared to the 1100's. Seems like they do every bit as good if not better. I usually start looking for gas at 150 miles just to be on the safe side but I have gone 190 miles and still was not on reserve but getting real close. It seems like I am going forever after being used to a motorcycle that was on the edge at 100 miles. The CB750s actually hold a tad more gas then even the 1100dlx.
 
Yea see, I never ran my 750 Nighthawk on the freeway. It was my backroads roadster..2 lane back roads 45-60 mph.

When I had my Nighthawk 750, I had my ST 1300 for my tourer, my gen 1 FZ-1 for my sport bike, the Nighthawk was my back roads roadster, and a 400 Majesty for scooting around. Still have the ST, and a 400 scooter, and the CB1100 for my naked roadster. No dedicated sport bike.
 

you can get 50-55 MPG if you cruise long distance w/o traffic. 42 MPG is stop and go in traffic with hot hands. I get to 5th as quick as I can and shift way under 3.5K rpm
Guth_imp said:
It's probably important to note the riding conditions and riding style when considering gas mileage.

My daily commute is only 5 miles each way, but is made up entirely of surface streets with plenty of stop signs and traffic signals. I don't wind the bike out too much and never get past 3rd gear during my commute. I'll typically get around 35 mpg when riding under these conditions. All of that stop 'n go riding really adds up when it comes to draining the gas tank. However, out on the open road, 54 mpg or so is more the norm, although I haven't checked highway mileage in quite some time. When I'm just out for fun, occasionally I will wind my bike out all the way through the first few gears, but I typically keep under 7K rpm and most often shift somewhere between 4k - 5K rpms. Basically, I like how the bike feels when the motor is working near the middle of its RPM range.
I observe the riding style and most of you ride far more aggressive on the engine than me. at 40 MPH I am already in 5th. No wonder both tires are still very good at 9000 miles, the rear tires have plenty of life left. I ride with traffic, not slow.

Last time I changed brakes of the car was in 2005. I use my car 12 - 20K miles a year.
 
Well I must not be shifting past 2nd gear because I have to refuel every 100 miles! I'll take this power and gas mileage combo over a slow bike any day though. Even if I got 30mpg I'd still have the Tundra beat by 210%.
 
First couple hundred, best I saw was mid 40s. With 800+ miles now, 55mpg for open country roads with few stops and 50-53 for basic stop lighted four lane travel. I have found what 6th gear is really good for: clicking into it guarantees the next available stoplight will turn red for you.
 
Todd_K_imp said:
First couple hundred, best I saw was mid 40s. With 800+ miles now, 55mpg for open country roads with few stops and 50-53 for basic stop lighted four lane travel. I have found what 6th gear is really good for: clicking into it guarantees the next available stoplight will turn red for you.
That was very funny, Todd.
 
On a recent trip of close to 300 miles, I averaged just under 57mpg. Speeds varied from 35 to 90mph and there were quite a few stop-lights and some backed-up traffic. In local trips, I am averaging just under 50mpg. I am a very big guy - 6'1"tall and 260lbs. I have a small windscreen. I did note that I seem to get slightly better mileage from mid-range gas than from regular. No need for premium on this bike.

By comparison, the Aprilia Tuono V4 I just sold would get about 30mpg on the same trip and my Gold Wing about 38 to 42mpg.

There are not many big bikes that get gas mileage as good as the CB1100. Some Sportsters do pretty good.
 
Yesterdays fill.. 2.8 gallons after going 150 miles = ave 53.57 mpg
 
I typically get mid-40's when buzzing around the city, to/from work etc. However, because I'd had the day off and it was such an awesome afternoon, I decided to get out of the city and rode the CB from my home in South Minneapolis to Red Wing, MN this last Wednesday. I topped off the tank and reset my trip meter before hitting the road. Upon my return, the instruments were indicating that I'd travelled 135.6 miles and gotten 58.7 mpg. This seemed to good to be true to me so I rode a couple of blocks to my local gas station and topped off the tank again - it took 2.265 gallons.

135.6 miles / 2.265 gallons = 59.9 mpg. Wow!
 
It is interesting to see the big difference in mpg with essentially the same bike. Are riding habits that much different that there is such a range in mpg? Is it the gas we are using, ie with 10% ethanol and it without? Are there manufacturing issues with the Nike's that is causing the big difference in mpg?

Who knows but I do find it extremely interesting we have some that get upper 50's almost 60 mpg then we have some just above 40 mpg... Something must be the cause.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I think its the go switch...

That and when you shift rpm.
 
How about wind screen, I have the Comet, I get 50 MPG, first time I checked after a year and reading this thread.
87 octane with 10%e
95% of the time I am below 4K RPM's
90% of time I shift before or at 3K RPM's
I spend most of my time on small, slow back roads, sometimes averaging 35 MPH on a 60 mile ride.
 
I did just install the Deflector Screen DX from National Cycle a day or two before my 59.9 mpg ride to Red Wing. Unfortunately, that was the first good chance I've had to get out of the city and really stretch my CB's legs so I don't have any pre-windscreen numbers to compare to. I tip the scale at about 180 lbs and am definitely a more 'serene' rider than some (most?). I generally shift at or before 3K RPM's and try to stay within 5 - 8 mph over posted speed limits. To me, that just feels like what this bike wants to do and I'm in no hurry.
 
HOOLIGAN! :rolleyes:

( that's how I ride too) ;)
 
HikerToo_imp said:
How about wind screen, I have the Comet, I get 50 MPG, first time I checked after a year and reading this thread.
87 octane with 10%e
95% of the time I am below 4K RPM's
90% of time I shift before or at 3K RPM's
I spend most of my time on small, slow back roads, sometimes averaging 35 MPH on a 60 mile ride.
That is how I rode my 1100 with the exception of no windscreen and plenty of city commuting. The best I ever got was 42mpg... the worst was 36mpg...

But the shift points and staying below 4k is how I rode the 1100. I just didn't see why I wasn't getting better mileage. My new bike I am getting 53mpg so far on three fill ups and have close to 600 miles now in roughly 3 weeks... Same riding, okay two more long runs on the new bike versus one on the 1100.


Just spoke to a coworker with a ducati and he gets 40 miles per tank, yes that is tank. The tank holds 3 gallons and he only gets 40 miles out of a tank. I told him park that bike it isn't worth riding!
 
Back
Top