FZ09

Oboro_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I love this bike and everything that it stands for. No nonsense, bare bones, working man's bike. Great price, awesome performance, I'm hoping to get one at the beginning of next season. Love it.

 
I strongly considered this one, in Europe sold as MT-09. Before I went CB route. They also make a smaller two cylinder version which makes an interesting fun bike.

Odesláno z mého Lenovo P780 pomocí Tapatalk
 
I also considered this before the CB. What I heard was that the throttle was pretty jumpy at lower speeds (maybe just in one of the modes...not sure)
 
Oboro_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
I just wish it wasn't so ugly... But at that price/performance ratio, I'd ride it.
Man I love it. It's got that 80's Transformers vibe.
Man I love it. It's got that 80's Transformers vibe.
I just don't like the proportions. I sat on one and like if from the seat, but step away and it doesn't work for me. Too Hunchbacked, headlights to low, and the seat/tail pokes out weird.

This is one of the more flattering pictures I could find. Still doesn't do it for me.


I think the FZ07 is a little better from most angles, but not much... And actually, from this same angle it's pretty awful..

5f64e7b6157b47cf46850d7498c12818.jpg


I love the Transformer look.

Now a Street Triple...



Or a Aprilia Shiver...





Or a Ducati Streetfighter ($$$...)

 
It is an amazing ride. I took two test rides on it and loved it. It feels kind of weird since you almost sit over the dash... like there is no motorcycle in front of you... and talk about quick. Its not in the works for me until insurance costs come down some. Maybe some day.
KV

Oboro_imp said:
I love this bike and everything that it stands for. No nonsense, bare bones, working man's bike. Great price, awesome performance, I'm hoping to get one at the beginning of next season. Love it.
 
I, my son and my son's father in law all test rode one at the Yamaha Demo days locally and didn't care for it at all. The Yamaha people told us NOT to put it in A mode as it was too twitchy.We found B mode still too twitchy. There was no cruising. It was either give it gas or let off the gas and coast, no partial throttle. Ride was stiff, seat was hard and sloped toward the tank, we called it the "twitchy brick". Someone mentioned sitting over the front end, and in that respect it felt very similar to my sons Ducati Monster. My son thought he really wanted one until he test rode it.

Lot of horsepower for the buck though if that is what you desire. Personally I'll settle for a few less horsepower, and a more comfortable and rideable motorcycle.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Thank God Honda brought the CB to the US.
Amen, brother.

According to the Motorcyclist test, the stock FZ09 suspension and brakes leave a good bit to be desired, and the price point shows up there.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I, my son and my son's father in law all test rode one at the Yamaha Demo days locally and didn't care for it at all. The Yamaha people told us NOT to put it in A mode as it was too twitchy.We found B mode still too twitchy. There was no cruising. It was either give it gas or let off the gas and coast, no partial throttle. Ride was stiff, seat was hard and sloped toward the tank, we called it the "twitchy brick". Someone mentioned sitting over the front end, and in that respect it felt very similar to my sons Ducati Monster. My son thought he really wanted one until he test rode it.

Lot of horsepower for the buck though if that is what you desire. Personally I'll settle for a few less horsepower, and a more comfortable and rideable motorcycle.

I was all booked up for a test ride on this bike and a KTM Duke 690 as cheaper alternatives to the CB. In the end high winds battered Great Britain, cancelling both my demo rides (consecutive weekends) and I allowed me enough time to come to my senses and strike a deal on the CB. No regrets. Whatsoever.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I, my son and my son's father in law all test rode one at the Yamaha Demo days locally and didn't care for it at all. The Yamaha people told us NOT to put it in A mode as it was too twitchy.We found B mode still too twitchy. There was no cruising. It was either give it gas or let off the gas and coast, no partial throttle. Ride was stiff, seat was hard and sloped toward the tank, we called it the "twitchy brick". Someone mentioned sitting over the front end, and in that respect it felt very similar to my sons Ducati Monster. My son thought he really wanted one until he test rode it.

Lot of horsepower for the buck though if that is what you desire. Personally I'll settle for a few less horsepower, and a more comfortable and rideable motorcycle.
My brand-new 2006 FZ-1 was exactly the same way. Sounds like Yamaha still hasn't figured-out fuel injection or suspension. That bike turned me off of Yamaha...probably forever.
 
After the wonderful, nearly perfect Gen 1 FZ-1, Yamaha ruined it with the multi flawed 06. What a bad move on Yamahas part.
 
While I'm sure that the bang-for-the-buck performance would be entertaining, I just can't get past the looks of the FZ-09. It strikes me as one of the least appealing designs that I've seen in some time.

My biggest fear after purchasing the CB was that Honda would finally come out with an up-to-date version of the Hawk GT. I seriously doubt that it will ever happen, but I would definitely take notice if it did.
 
You are just of a different generation. Need to be of the Transformers generation. The older I get the fewer new thing I find appealing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The twitchy throttle doesn't bother me because I'd throw the two brothers systems on there and a tuner. Obviously the fender eliminator is required.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I, my son and my son's father in law all test rode one at the Yamaha Demo days locally and didn't care for it at all. The Yamaha people told us NOT to put it in A mode as it was too twitchy.We found B mode still too twitchy. There was no cruising. It was either give it gas or let off the gas and coast, no partial throttle. Ride was stiff, seat was hard and sloped toward the tank, we called it the "twitchy brick". Someone mentioned sitting over the front end, and in that respect it felt very similar to my sons Ducati Monster. My son thought he really wanted one until he test rode it.

Lot of horsepower for the buck though if that is what you desire. Personally I'll settle for a few less horsepower, and a more comfortable and rideable motorcycle.
My local dealer has a demo unit that I took out for a bit more than an hour a few months ago (I'm fond of the way they handled it, just tossed me the keys and sent me on my way) - zero problems with the throttle being twitchy in any of the modes. I forgot to check with their techs, but I've read elsewhere that adjusting the throttle cable eliminated a lot of the jerkiness.

Personally, I'm waiting to see if they use it as a base for a new sport touring model. I did really like it, although I'm not sure if the fact I had to be careful in 3rd gear not to bring the front end up is good or bad. I want to say it came up in 4th as well when I went to pass someone, but it's been just long enough I can't remember for sure.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Thank God Honda brought the CB to the US.
Haha, not a fan of the transformer?
Haha, not a fan of the transformer?
No, not at all. Frankly all the bikes that are posted on this thread look pretty much the same to me. Just minor variations on the same theme of stubby, bulk-forward, skinny-butt, big-tired bikes. "Elegant" and "sleek" weren't in the design brief. But, what could be more subjective than likes/dislikes in motorcycle styles? If that look works for people, I'm glad they can buy bikes that have it, but I'm equally glad I can buy a CB.
 
Back
Top