Fueling and Air overhaul imminent. looking for any advice

Thread starter
i'm told a tub of blue magic will handle any cooked bugs and polish it right back up. I'm open to anybody's advice on cleaning titanium headers though. i've never had any before.
also, i forgot to mention just how unnaturally unsettling light they are. they weight literally nothing. it's bizarre.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
.. why did they heat it like that? titanium only discolors like that when its heated in open air and it reacts to oxygen. weird. sweet pipes though.
It did actually surprise me. I've seen others postpictures of these pipes and they were not heated.....but they were from years ago. my theory is that this kind of rainbow coloration is inevitable when you have TI pipes, so the manufacturer wanted to make sure the buyer knows what to expect when they buy it.

Cabinet makers do this with wood. When you're buying hickory cabinets all the samples are usually "badly behaved" examples of the variation and inconsistency that Hickory often displays. In fact, they do it on purpose, because they don't want you to act as if the color stripes and knots are a defect when you get your cabinets.

I think Motogear is doing the same thing with the TI, just making sure you know when you get it that you're going to have colorful pipes.

or else maybe they just assume anybody who's buying TI pipes wants the rainbows, so they went ahead and "installed" some.
 
Thread starter
All of that is quite informative....where can i get a TI axel? :-p
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm pretty sure all the TI pipes I've seen have the rainbows. I kinda dig it.
I very much dig it. i've been in love with these pipes ever since i found out they exist.
 
Hi
m in sc_imp said:
thanks guys.,
its basically a foale frame, but made from chromoly. frame alone (4 total were made similar, recently) is between 2500-3500. I got the 1st one as i designed it. ;)

i've had valuations of that bike from 8500 to over 10k. I have no idea, i think thats ridiculous but then again, i built it so... :huh: i do know its the lightest street legal rd i think ever built using stock wheelbase/basic frame geometry.

this is a shade under 30 lbs. the man who built it works now for pratt and miller as a prototype manager, we used to work together building skunkworks military stuff.

1c2f8df878ea38e10183824c463ac119.jpg


its not flashy but its all business.
What a fabulous project. I would have loved to possess the skills to make such a beautiful 'bike. Remember, folks, it's not just the designing/building - it's gotta LOOK right too! "M" has absolutely nailed that as well - the seat, the tank, even the colour.

Why not set up a line making these, M? Plenty of old RD engines kicking around...

My hat off to you, Sir.
 
Looks like the ol' RD lump becomes a stressed member in the new frame? Is that true? (interesting)

If I recall the lump sat in the original frame cradle.

No engine leaks?
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Make 'em pay before you make it, M! If they want it enough, they'll pay.
Sorts out the dreamers. :)
Yes, a non-refundable deposit is not unreasonable if you explain why it is asked. That is, you are assuming some upfront risk, so the purchaser should have some skin in the game too.

Just get it all down in writing in the invoice.
 
Thread starter
anybody got an advice for physically disconnecting the O2 sensor from the stock exhaust? now that I can see this thing i really have no idea how i'm supposed to get a wrench around it...it's all recessed into an alcove, and there are wires so you can't get a socket over it. what's the trick here?
 
Thread starter
.......

SERIOUSLY??? and let me guess....there's absolutely no way for me to disconnect this without that very special highly specific tool that basically nobody local is going to sell me.....
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
.......

SERIOUSLY??? and let me guess....there's absolutely no way for me to disconnect this without that very special highly specific tool that basically nobody local is going to sell me.....
see updated post # 86 :)... in automotive, there is NO such thing like no way or/and impossible, just make it possible :thumbsup:
 
Sounds like you need an O2 sensor socket. Google it for pics.
 
Back
Top