Fuel usage and gauge

Goodness you have a disciplined throttle hand. I realize you are on a DLX with that kind of fuel capacity, but I'm lucky if I get +150 miles on 3.5 gallons (pushing that reserve close in the city).
 
Thread starter
I am usually in the 54 to 57 mpg range but this tank had about 60 miles of freeway work on it and that drops it quite a bit.
 
Thread starter
Yep freeway and throttle twisting is the enemy of gas mileage
 
I do not ride my bike hard, but most of the miles are freeway (65-70 mph). I have kept a strict record of my fuel mileage since day 1 (I use a calculator, not the bike computer), and I have averaged 46 mpg. I don't know how you guys get that kind of mileage.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
I do not ride my bike hard, but most of the miles are freeway (65-70 mph). I have kept a strict record of my fuel mileage since day 1 (I use a calculator, not the bike computer), and I have averaged 46 mpg. I don't know how you guys get that kind of mileage.
Don't ride on the freeway 65-70 mph.

I ride back roads 45-60 mph, very little stop and go and no high speed stuff. Smooth throttle hand and mostly one or two gears (5th and 6th)
 
Good to know it is that accurate....

I am large (280+) and my first CB1100 got 42-44 mpg during break-in......at 1000 miles changed the oil to Amsoil 10W/40 and within a few hundred miles the mileage jumped to 49-51.....I have another CB I will do the same thing and see if it coincidence or not....
 
Dave_imp said:
I do not ride my bike hard, but most of the miles are freeway (65-70 mph). I have kept a strict record of my fuel mileage since day 1 (I use a calculator, not the bike computer), and I have averaged 46 mpg. I don't know how you guys get that kind of mileage.
Dave, Just curious, have you made comparisons of your calculated fuel mileage vs the bike's computer mpg display? Tank to tank and/or over several tank refills?
 
Must be nice to have the larger tank.

At 125 miles I wake up and start looking for a gas station. At 150 I'm nervous. Just regeared, dropped 2 on the rear sprocket, and fuel mileage on one tank (JUST regeared) went from 53 to 58mpg. Will keep track of mileage for a while and see if results are consistent.
 
Thread starter
That's 195 miles for us noroomtomove
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
I do not ride my bike hard, but most of the miles are freeway (65-70 mph). I have kept a strict record of my fuel mileage since day 1 (I use a calculator, not the bike computer), and I have averaged 46 mpg. I don't know how you guys get that kind of mileage.
Dave, Just curious, have you made comparisons of your calculated fuel mileage vs the bike's computer mpg display? Tank to tank and/or over several tank refills?
Dave, Just curious, have you made comparisons of your calculated fuel mileage vs the bike's computer mpg display? Tank to tank and/or over several tank refills?
Hi suhawk - no, I have never bothered to do this.
 
Rode a lot of curvy roads yesterday. Started the 100 miler with 35 miles showing--all interstate. My single blinking bar came on at 127 miles. I had ridden a lot in 4th and 5th gears. Filled up at 139, just under 3 gallons. Calculator showed 49 mpg. That is high. I don't believe it. Straight road mpg is typically between 42-45. With the slowing down and speeding up I would have expected my mpg to drop. But it beats the other 3 cycles I have. Dang Goldwing doesn't get but about 36-38 mpg.
 
Back
Top