Fuel Reserve??

widude

Running like a top
Thread starter
Yes, I could just read the manual, or even search, but how does reserve fuel work on the CB? Is it just a blinking low fuel light? Anything besides that?

I just don't see the ability to shift the fuel selector to reserve like the bikes of yesteryear, thanks.
 
There is no manual reserve. The reserve is a " notified that you are getting low" signal in the form of the blinking light. On the 14's it also starts counting backwards the estimated mileage left, once it gets to within about 60 miles of pushing lol
 
Thread starter
Thanks, close to what I thought after not seeing a switching lever below the tank.
 
With fuel injection that was done away with.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I for one am happy to be rid of the manual reserve.
Yeah, petcocks can leak and are a pain to turn on & off every time you park. On the other hand, there has been more than one occasion over the years when I cheesed out while riding and was very thankful to have the option to switch to reserve when I ran dry.

The flashing indicator on the '13s is no help either...mine seems to go off so soon after a fill up I don't trust it and tend to ignore it. Of course, then my OCD kicks in and I have to fight against myself trying to ignore that stupid flashing light while being obsessed with it at the same time. :s
 
I actually did run dry on it once last year. It was rather embarrassing pushing my brand new bike home for two miles and a bit of a workout as well since much of it was uphill. Still, home was closer than the nearest gas station. Got a lot of funny looks that's for sure!
 
I was riding with a friend when he disappeared from my mirror. He was out of gas. Gas Buddy showed the nearest station 3 miles away. I went, bought a couple of 2 liters (little country station, no official containers available), emptied them and returned to my stranded friend. Lucky that the one I was riding had saddle bags to hold the 2 liters.
 
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
It's not fun. I did it last year after I realized that, on a sunny day, all I could see in the odometer/fuel gauge window was the reflection of my own helmet. I have to put my hand over it to actually read the gauge. (doesn't look like that would be a factor with the '14s improved display)

Unlike carbed bikes that slowly lose power as the carb bowls empty, the FI CB11 starts bucking like a bronco as it runs out. I honestly thought I had a mechanical problem until after I stopped and noticed the empty fuel gauge.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
It's not fun. I did it last year after I realized that, on a sunny day, all I could see in the odometer/fuel gauge window was the reflection of my own helmet. I have to put my hand over it to actually read the gauge. (doesn't look like that would be a factor with the '14s improved display)

Unlike carbed bikes that slowly lose power as the carb bowls empty, the FI CB11 starts bucking like a bronco as it runs out. I honestly thought I had a mechanical problem until after I stopped and noticed the empty fuel gauge.
It's not fun. I did it last year after I realized that, on a sunny day, all I could see in the odometer/fuel gauge window was the reflection of my own helmet. I have to put my hand over it to actually read the gauge. (doesn't look like that would be a factor with the '14s improved display)

Unlike carbed bikes that slowly lose power as the carb bowls empty, the FI CB11 starts bucking like a bronco as it runs out. I honestly thought I had a mechanical problem until after I stopped and noticed the empty fuel gauge. A bucking bronco? Now I know. Thanks Flyn
 
I pulled into the gas station last week with the last bar flashing and it took 2.76 gal. to fill up my '13. I think the capacity of the tank is 3.9 gal. so it wasn't really that low.
 
Same. If I ride till the reserve just comes on and fill it takes about 10 liters (out of 14.8L tank capacity). I've never run it dry, but I'm guessing range on reserve is 80-90kms.
 
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more. I suspect 55 mpg × 3.8 gal = 209 miles per tank. I could be wrong.
 
SanPete_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more. I suspect 55 mpg × 3.8 gal = 209 miles per tank. I could be wrong.
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker:
 
veech_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more. I suspect 55 mpg × 3.8 gal = 209 miles per tank. I could be wrong.
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker:
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker: How many miles you have on the bike?
 
I'd say your riding style definitely affects your tank mileage. I ride (mostly) conservatively and I can get high 40's at a minimum, unless I'm slabbing it on the Interstate.
 
SanPete_imp said:
veech_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more. I suspect 55 mpg × 3.8 gal = 209 miles per tank. I could be wrong.
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker:
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker: How many miles you have on the bike?
Pretty low miles, maybe 1300 or so....
 
I'd never get 209 miles (better than 300 kms) in a fit. Curious really cause I don't ride that hard at all.
 
Back
Top