Fuel Reserve??

Redbird_imp said:
I'd say your riding style definitely affects your tank mileage. I ride (mostly) conservatively and I can get high 40's at a minimum, unless I'm slabbing it on the Interstate.
I'm sure it does. Still, even if you figure 45 mpg x 3.9 gal tank that's 175 miles per tank if you ran it completely dry, so I am still confused how guys are getting 200+ on this thing. To get that kind of mileage I would imagine one would have to be feathering it all the way. In my case this bike is just way too much fun to resist cracking the throttle-frequently! You are a better man than I for sure!
My 6'2" 230 lb frame doesn't help mileage either. American Pharoah would NEVER have won the Triple Crown with me on his back!
 
veech_imp said:
Redbird_imp said:
I'd say your riding style definitely affects your tank mileage. I ride (mostly) conservatively and I can get high 40's at a minimum, unless I'm slabbing it on the Interstate.
I'm sure it does. Still, even if you figure 45 mpg x 3.9 gal tank that's 175 miles per tank if you ran it completely dry, so I am still confused how guys are getting 200+ on this thing. To get that kind of mileage I would imagine one would have to be feathering it all the way. In my case this bike is just way too much fun to resist cracking the throttle-frequently! You are a better man than I for sure!
My 6'2" 230 lb frame doesn't help mileage either. American Pharoah would NEVER have won the Triple Crown with me on his back!
I'm sure it does. Still, even if you figure 45 mpg x 3.9 gal tank that's 175 miles per tank if you ran it completely dry, so I am still confused how guys are getting 200+ on this thing. To get that kind of mileage I would imagine one would have to be feathering it all the way. In my case this bike is just way too much fun to resist cracking the throttle-frequently! You are a better man than I for sure!
My 6'2" 230 lb frame doesn't help mileage either. American Pharoah would NEVER have won the Triple Crown with me on his back!
I definitely agree with the too much fun to resist cracking the throttle frequently part! It turns out that 80 mph just kills my gas mileage, but it's a motorcycle so I really only worry about the mileage when I'm about out.
 
veech_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
veech_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
I have been wanting to run out of gas on the CB for a long time, just can't master the bravery to do it.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more.
Me too, SanPete. I might wait until it's really low one day, strap a few liters in a can on the bike and ride till it conks. The most I've done is about 230 kms. I suspect I could get 250 kms or a tiny bit more. I suspect 55 mpg × 3.8 gal = 209 miles per tank. I could be wrong.
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker:
Man, I don't get anywhere near that-probably more like 125 miles per tank. This is my #1 complaint about the bike. I do like to hot dog it quite a bit so it is probably my own fault... :biker: How many miles you have on the bike?
Pretty low miles, maybe 1300 or so....
Pretty low miles, maybe 1300 or so.... At that milage I was getting 43 mpg, at 8k I am getting 55 mpg. Milage does get better as you put more miles in the engine. To be fair these numbers were at the rally with an average speed of 45 mph and hardly any stop and go.
Cormanus_imp said:
I'd never get 209 miles (better than 300 kms) in a fit. Curious really cause I don't ride that hard at all.
This is just speculation according to fuel capacity in the tank. The highest I have reached is 186 miles to a tank.
 
Wow, it sounds like the mileage gets significantly better with more break in, so I have that to look forward to. I just changed to synthetic oil for the first time in this bike as well-hopefully that will help also.
 
That's still impressive SanPete.
 
i went 180 on my 13 and 224 on my 14 and had 1/2 gallon left in each. ( computer on 14 said 23 miles to go and it took 4.09 to fill so I'm thinking I could have gone further than 23 miles)
 
The ferret_imp said:
i went 180 on my 13 and 224 on my 14 and had 1/2 gallon left in each. ( computer on 14 said 23 miles to go and it took 4.09 to fill so I'm thinking I could have gone further than 23 miles)
Coasting down a mountain with the wind at your back doesn't count! :)
 
I don't coast with the wind... I ride like the wind ;)

I was averaging 63 mpg at the rally, a little higher than ave, but speeds were about 10 mph or so slower than I normally ride
 
I'm also curious about the lowest mileage/lowest miles per tank. Good to know before I start out in the boonies on some country road.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't coast with the wind... I ride like the wind ;)

I was averaging 63 mpg at the rally, a little higher than ave, but speeds were about 10 mph or so slower than I normally ride
That is incredible. Is that because you have the motor so well broken in? (I know you put on a ton of miles).

What's your secret? Do you have one of those magic magnet on the fuel line things? No wait---it must be the RLETs!
 
Once you get over 2000 miles on the motor I think the MPG levels out. I'm not getting any better mileage now than I did then. Normal day to day riding I average about 57 mpg. I think it's smooth throttle hand, as few stops and starts as possible, no jack rabbit launches or stops, I let it idle at stop signs and lights and I never run over 4000 rpms and very little freeway riding. Don't baby it, but don't beat it. In my experience you get the best mileage between 45 and 60, go over that and the gas mileage sinks exponentially. At 80 it sucks.

I average over 45 mpg on my 717 pound 125 HP ST 1300 which I ride the same way.

PS ... I don't ride for mileage... That's just how I ride
 
You sir have an impressive amount of self control and patience while on the road. I can manage riding like that for a while (typically its when I am low on fuel) but sooner or later I my inner child takes over and I feel the need for a speed rush. You'd think I would have grown out of it by now at 52 yrs old...

I should add that I don't ride rudely with other drivers, its just that when I get an open stretch I can't help getting an urge to goose it!
 
That is perfectly understandable. I got that out of my system a while ago, but it was severe for about 30 years lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Once you get over 2000 miles on the motor I think the MPG levels out. I'm not getting any better mileage now than I did then. Normal day to day riding I average about 57 mpg. I think it's smooth throttle hand, as few stops and starts as possible, no jack rabbit launches or stops, I let it idle at stop signs and lights and I never run over 4000 rpms and very little freeway riding. Don't baby it, but don't beat it. In my experience you get the best mileage between 45 and 60, go over that and the gas mileage sinks exponentially. At 80 it sucks.

I average over 45 mpg on my 717 pound 125 HP ST 1300 which I ride the same way.

PS ... I don't ride for mileage... That's just how I ride
+1

I do open it up once or twice a ride, but that is only for a few seconds.

I mentioned in another post that my MPG game is "mental exercise" for my OCD. I don't even know I'm doing it but it sure relaxes my brain.

I love using Fuelly to track my therapy!

 
The ferret_imp said:
That is perfectly understandable. I got that out of my system a while ago, but it was severe for about 30 years lol
Thank God, I was starting to worry I might be a psycho or something...
 
veech_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That is perfectly understandable. I got that out of my system a while ago, but it was severe for about 30 years lol
Thank God, I was starting to worry I might be a psycho or something...
Thank God, I was starting to worry I might be a psycho or something...
He said it was understandable, but you still may be psycho :)

"at 80 it sucks". No Jack rabbit launches and stops!? My low mpg is accounted for, but I'm enjoying the #€!! out of it!
 
Well according to TRIP B, as I left it from day 1.. I've gone 778 miles on 12 gallons of gas ~64 MPG mostly city / some country.


I can't say that I can complain about that!
 
Went to flashing reserve on last nights ride. Rode around for awhile. Got up this morning, washed the bike and went for a dry off ride. After 20 miles of watching the reserve bar flash today, I pulled into a station, and filled up as usual. Looked up at the pump. It said it took 3.7 gallons.

Cycled thru the fuel computer. Trip B (my fuel in tank mode) said I went 201.8 miles, averaged 54.4 mpg (this tank had 130 miles of back roads and 70 miles of freeway) and used 3.7 gals. Just like the pump said.

That should leave approx 1 gallon left in tank or about another 50 miles if desperate. 250 to pushing. I'm not that desperate lol. Like I said I have gone 224 and had about 1/2 gal left according to how much it took to refill, again indicating a max range of 250 miles.
 
My CB averages 39-40 mpg mixed freeway (85+ mph here in Idaho) and in town riding. I've had a couple of 50 mpg tanks, running 60 mph on back roads.
 
Back
Top