Fuel fill-up

nymarty_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Is this normal for CB1100? I was pumping gas in at gas station with bike on center stand. Started with 1 bar left on fuel indicator. It took about 2 gallons and then pump’s auto sensor thought it was full. It wasn’t. Pulled back on the pump’s hood by hand and added another 0.4 gallons. I’m watching fill level and it looked full so I stopped pumping. After a couple of seconds, gas seemed to settle in tank and there was room again to add more. This repeated a few more times and added another 0.3 gallons. So the tank took 2.7 gallons and the indicator read full bars. That means that at 1 bar, there was 1.2 gallons in tank? And is it normal for a tank to look like it’s full at the cap and then drop in level?

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Which year of CB are you riding?

I know my 2017 EX can take a little bit extra fuel after the pump stops. I fill it until the gas reaches the plate in the filler opening.

If topping up after a ride, remember the hot engine will expand both the tank and fuel. My EX tank moans after it has been topped up after long ride and placed on the center stand in the garage.
 
If yours is a '13, i've heard reports from a '13 owner near me of the gas settling into the "sides" of the tank after pumping, allowing you to finish pumping after a short wait. odd phenomena. my '14 doesn't do that.
 
Very normal.
Few stations around here have the fume recovery bellows.
When I am in SoCal, usually Death Valley, I pull back on the bellows to allow the pump to operate.
 
I don't think it's just the CB. Each of my bikes seem to do that. Honestly, I don't worry about squeezing in the last 0.1 gallon, but they all seem to "look full" before settling and then accommodating more.
 
My 13 does this. Add gas, wait for it to settle, add more, repeat ad nauseam. On most occasions I just top off a couple times the ride off. I can't be bothered to waste 3 more minutes trying to get the tank completely full. It's annoying but I guess it's it can be forgiven considering the bike has many pros and very few cons.
 
I fill to bottom of neck and let it go at that. I never try and squeeze the last few drops in, because I know I will stop for more before it runs dry.
 
I always fill my bikes at home , have two 5 gallon tanks for my bikes and lawn tractor , therefor I have only to tank on the road for longer trips.
 
The bottom of the filler neck is slightly lower than the top of the tank. Because of that, fuel fills the neck and then slowly drains out of the neck into the tank. On the few occasions when I have attempted to fill mine to the top, I've been able to get an extra .2 gallons in. Most of the time I don't bother.

Quote:So the tank took 2.7 gallons and the indicator read full bars. That means that at 1 bar, there was 1.2 gallons in tank?
That sounds about right. I know when my last bar starts flashing on and off that means there's .9 to 1 gallon left.
 
I’ve found that, when I get really keen on jamming every last drop into the tank, I often have to deal with overflow.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
The bottom of the filler neck is slightly lower than the top of the tank. Because of that, fuel fills the neck and then slowly drains out of the neck into the tank. On the few occasions when I have attempted to fill mine to the top, I've been able to get an extra .2 gallons in. Most of the time I don't bother.

Quote:So the tank took 2.7 gallons and the indicator read full bars. That means that at 1 bar, there was 1.2 gallons in tank?
That sounds about right. I know when my last bar starts flashing on and off that means there's .9 to 1 gallon left.
Great explanation. Thanks. That explains why it’s different from other bikes I’ve put gas in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cormanus_imp said:
I’ve found that, when I get really keen on jamming every last drop into the tank, I often have to deal with overflow.

Yep, that’s what I did. Warm day so evaporated quickly and had towel to wipe it off. Lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The bottom of the filler neck is slightly lower than the top of the tank. Because of that, fuel fills the neck and then slowly drains out of the neck into the tank. On the few occasions when I have attempted to fill mine to the top, I've been able to get an extra .2 gallons in. Most of the time I don't bother.

Quote:So the tank took 2.7 gallons and the indicator read full bars. That means that at 1 bar, there was 1.2 gallons in tank?
That sounds about right. I know when my last bar starts flashing on and off that means there's .9 to 1 gallon left.
If you are not going to use the bike right away, it's better to leave some expansion volume (or airgap), or the cool fuel will expand and leak when at ambien temperature.
 
Back
Top