Front sprocket bolt cant be moved

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
What does one do when one cannot turn the bolt that fastens the front sprocket in place? Ive tried impact wrenches, cheater bars, nearly broken a socket.....what am i supposed to do?

This is actually the second time ive changed a front sprocket. It was hard but it moved the first time. This time its like its welded on.
 
There is no reason a decent powered impact won't quickly and easily remove it.

Have someone sit on the bike, put it in 1st and hold the brakes- yes both front and rear for best result.

'Nearly broke a socket'- you are using an impact socket right? Basic chrome sockets should NOT be used on impact and can be unsafe.

What 'impact wrench' are you using? Electric? Pneumatic? What model?

Heck- a decent length breaker bar and a dead blow hammer will pop it right off. The trick is holding the brakes.

If you don't have a helper- use something like a zip tie or tie down to pull the brake lever and pedal.
 
Thread starter
Yep, im holding the brakes, amd ratchet strapped the wheel down on top of that so it cant move at all.

Its an electric impact wrench. I have no access to pneumatic tools and no way to borrow anyso thats out of the question.

The socket actually started to come apart when i was using the breaker bar funnily enough.

Tell me what you see as "decent powered" for an impact wrench. I had to borrow this one but maybe its just weak.
 
A six point impact type short black socket, 1/2 drive pneumatic impact gun with the proper line pressure of above 90 PSI, 26 flow SCFM must do the job.
Lock the front sprocket.
If this won't work, then I would lock the sprocket with 2x4 or similar and use 1/2 johnson bar and above mentioned socket.
Good luck.
 
I guess you have bent the tab out of the way and after all you have tried its really stuck then so next thing I would try is gentle heat in stages and a breaker bar.
Be careful and good luck.
 
I replaced the chain and sprockets on a Kawasaki few years ago and had this same problem. Tried heat, breaker bar and penetrating oil. Finally borrowed a friend's pneumatic impact wrench and it was off in a flash.
 
Just for kicks: set your electric impact to tighten, and give it a couple of seconds, then immediately switch the impact to loosen and see if it budges. Another alternative is to use a hand impact tool. Only downsize is it will put stress on the countershaft bearing. If you’re willing to go this route; HF sells them. Make sure to get the 1/2’ drive set. That way you can use an impact socket. Good luck!

Link to the HF hand impact. These come in handy for other jobs too.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-64812.html
 
Thread starter
Razor_imp said:
Just for kicks: set your electric impact to tighten, and give it a couple of seconds, then immediately switch the impact to loosen and see if it budges. Another alternative is to use a hand impact tool. Only downsize is it will put stress on the countershaft bearing. If you’re willing to go this route; HF sells them. Make sure to get the 1/2’ drive set. That way you can use an impact socket. Good luck!

Link to the HF hand impact. These come in handy for other jobs too.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-64812.html
I do actually already have that, I was using it previouosly to deal with ancient screws that i'm worried about stripping out.

Does that actually have a better chance at working than a power tool?
PowerDubs_imp said:
Watch a few of these videos... and there is a lot to learn. There are reviews of electric stuff- and real world tests and comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/@TorqueTestChannel/videos

Got a Harbor Freight near you? If not- Amazon or Ebay will work... or you can probably find something used that will do the job on your local Facebook Marketplace or Craig's List..
unfortunately, for the money any new tool will cost me I could just about pay the shop an hour of labor to swap it out for me, which It looks like is exactly what's going to happen. I'd rather do that than risk making it worse with my continued fumbling.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I replaced the chain and sprockets on a Kawasaki few years ago and had this same problem. Tried heat, breaker bar and penetrating oil. Finally borrowed a friend's pneumatic impact wrench and it was off in a flash.
Useful to know RedB.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
What does one do when one cannot turn the bolt that fastens the front sprocket in place? Ive tried impact wrenches, cheater bars, nearly broken a socket.....what am i supposed to do?

This is actually the second time ive changed a front sprocket. It was hard but it moved the first time. This time its like its welded on.
Have you considered if its a reverse thread?
Left hand threads are common on spining things!
 
Thread starter
I don't think I've ever heard of a front sprocket like this having a reverse thread....the first time I removed it i don't believe it had a reverse thread. if anybody else can confirm that or tell me different i'll take the L, but i'm pretty certain it doesn't have a reverse thread.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a front sprocket like this having a reverse thread....the first time I removed it i don't believe it had a reverse thread. if anybody else can confirm that or tell me different i'll take the L, but i'm pretty certain it doesn't have a reverse thread.
Service manual torque table says: thread dia. 10mm, torque 40 lbf.ft and the remarks column is empty. The later means it’s not a left handed thread. Also not word one on “being left” on page 3-21.
Of course jto is right with his remark BUT it’s a matter from where you look. When our engine pulls the sprocket forward (call this a right turn as seen from the inside) it tightens the screw.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a front sprocket like this having a reverse thread....the first time I removed it i don't believe it had a reverse thread. if anybody else can confirm that or tell me different i'll take the L, but i'm pretty certain it doesn't have a reverse thread.
Usually left hand threads are on a right hand side chain front sprocket.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a front sprocket like this having a reverse thread....the first time I removed it i don't believe it had a reverse thread. if anybody else can confirm that or tell me different i'll take the L, but i'm pretty certain it doesn't have a reverse thread.
Usually left hand threads are on a right hand side chain front sprocket.
Usually left hand threads are on a right hand side chain front sprocket.
+1
 
Back
Top