front fork

sonnyb_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Would anybody know where I could get that black,upper front fork part(normally it's chrome)or how it is made?
thanks
 
sonnyb_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Google for "balinit dlc coating". I think it must be some coating of that kind. I also think it won't be cheap.
I will,
Thanks
I will,
Thanks

Let me elaborate on my quick answer (I was posting from the phone, so...)

There are several coatings that could be use. I am sure that there is something among the coatings from "balinit" that would work, but perhaps you have some other supplier closer to your place.

Anyway: the use of chrome for suspension bars and damper rods is due to several propierties, mainly:
-hardness
-corrosion resistance
-friction performance (i.e. low friction coefficient)

So you need something that performs the same or better than a chrome coating but with a black (or very dark) apperance. From the top of my head, DLC would be my first choice, but I'd get profesional advise.

Also: keep in mind that unless you are getting new bars made to your spec, you'll need to strip the chrome first and then apply the new coating. But, by doing so, the OD of the bars has to remain the same. I think this could be quite tricky, as sand blasting the chrome out is not an accurate process, so the final dimension after coating would be difficult to predict.

Or perhaps I am over-thinking about it, and for coating experts this is a piece of cake...

Let's us know if you get a quote.
 
They make " black" chrome don't they? I know several Honda models in the past had black chrome parts, including exhaust.
 
The ferret_imp said:
They make " black" chrome don't they? I know several Honda models in the past had black chrome parts, including exhaust.
Yes, but it's not very common. However, I think it's only a cosmetic /corrosion protective coating, so I don't know if it could be used on suspension bars (in addition to the a surface finish, it requires a high hardness to resist the wear).
 
Like what others said, the black mirror like look is from DLC coatings ....
DLC Coating - Diamond-Like Carbon Coating - IBC Coatings

you may want to consider DLC (vs, black chrome) because you will see a greater reduction w/ friction over chrome.
This is the main reason for doing DLC on forks.

The motorcross & track junkie guys dlc their fork sliders for around $500 to $600 through suspension shops.
The shops send them off to get it done through an industrial specialty coatings facility they're familiar with.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
sonnyb_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Google for "balinit dlc coating". I think it must be some coating of that kind. I also think it won't be cheap.
I will,
Thanks
I will,
Thanks

Let me elaborate on my quick answer (I was posting from the phone, so...)

There are several coatings that could be use. I am sure that there is something among the coatings from "balinit" that would work, but perhaps you have some other supplier closer to your place.

Anyway: the use of chrome for suspension bars and damper rods is due to several propierties, mainly:
-hardness
-corrosion resistance
-friction performance (i.e. low friction coefficient)

So you need something that performs the same or better than a chrome coating but with a black (or very dark) apperance. From the top of my head, DLC would be my first choice, but I'd get profesional advise.

Also: keep in mind that unless you are getting new bars made to your spec, you'll need to strip the chrome first and then apply the new coating. But, by doing so, the OD of the bars has to remain the same. I think this could be quite tricky, as sand blasting the chrome out is not an accurate process, so the final dimension after coating would be difficult to predict.

Or perhaps I am over-thinking about it, and for coating experts this is a piece of cake...

Let's us know if you get a quote.
It looks like it's a "common" solution: Ti Nitride for some colour options, and DLC (only black) for better performance:

Stanchions & Inner Tubes Titanium Nitride Coating

If I had my forks re-coated, I'd choose DLC.

(Color or colour? :-/ ?)
 
American, ‘color’. UK/Australia ‘colour’.
 
Cormanus, do your cars have hoods and trunks or bonnets and boots?
 
Boots definitely. Bonnets when I was a kid, but more likely hoods now.
 
Getting back to topic, I have been reading some about these coatings, and it's a bit confusing. I still don't know if you need to remove the chrome plating or not.

Anyway: both TiN (titanium nitride) and DLC (Diamond like Carbon/Diamond like coating) are very hard, with low friction and wear resistant. TiN can be done in several colours. DLC is black.

Both are very thin (a few microns), so they won't cover any scratch or defect: the base surface has to be very smooth to start with.

DLC is a bit harder and has a lower friction coefficient than TiN. And it's a bit more expensive, but I think is the one I'd choose (unless I wanted any other color than black). TiN is thiner, and will wear off sooner than DLC (I don't know if we are talking about years or decades here...)

Again: to avoid nasty surprises, I'd look for a shop specialised in coatings for suspension forks: keeping dimensions and surfaces to spec is critical for the seals to work correctly and leak-free.
 
Back
Top