sonnyb_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Would anybody know where I could get that black,upper front fork part(normally it's chrome)or how it is made?
thanks
thanks
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I will,jtopiso_imp said:Google for "balinit dlc coating". I think it must be some coating of that kind. I also think it won't be cheap.
I will,sonnyb_imp said:I will,jtopiso_imp said:Google for "balinit dlc coating". I think it must be some coating of that kind. I also think it won't be cheap.
Thanks
Yes, but it's not very common. However, I think it's only a cosmetic /corrosion protective coating, so I don't know if it could be used on suspension bars (in addition to the a surface finish, it requires a high hardness to resist the wear).The ferret_imp said:They make " black" chrome don't they? I know several Honda models in the past had black chrome parts, including exhaust.
It looks like it's a "common" solution: Ti Nitride for some colour options, and DLC (only black) for better performance:jtopiso_imp said:I will,sonnyb_imp said:I will,jtopiso_imp said:Google for "balinit dlc coating". I think it must be some coating of that kind. I also think it won't be cheap.
Thanks
Thanks
Let me elaborate on my quick answer (I was posting from the phone, so...)
There are several coatings that could be use. I am sure that there is something among the coatings from "balinit" that would work, but perhaps you have some other supplier closer to your place.
Anyway: the use of chrome for suspension bars and damper rods is due to several propierties, mainly:
-hardness
-corrosion resistance
-friction performance (i.e. low friction coefficient)
So you need something that performs the same or better than a chrome coating but with a black (or very dark) apperance. From the top of my head, DLC would be my first choice, but I'd get profesional advise.
Also: keep in mind that unless you are getting new bars made to your spec, you'll need to strip the chrome first and then apply the new coating. But, by doing so, the OD of the bars has to remain the same. I think this could be quite tricky, as sand blasting the chrome out is not an accurate process, so the final dimension after coating would be difficult to predict.
Or perhaps I am over-thinking about it, and for coating experts this is a piece of cake...
Let's us know if you get a quote.
Ok, thanks!Cormanus_imp said:American, ‘color’. UK/Australia ‘colour’.