Front Brakes...

Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
There is only so much a computer can do for you. I think familiarity is the key.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
While I'm sure you're a much better rider than myself, I have been riding motorcycles for approximately 55 years. No, that does not make me an expert.
 
I'm no expert but familiarity with each motorcycle is critical. When I get on my old BMW the brakes which felt so strong before I got the CB now feel like lead and not very capable at Performing stops. I always have to use care when switching between the two motorcycles due to the breaking characteristic difference. The 20 Hp difference not such a big impact.

I apologize as I meant no slight to your riding ability or experience. I 'm just saying every motorcycle is different and familiarity is important.

Just like when I fly for work and get a rental car I've learned to take a few minutes and learn the layout of the controls, adjust the mirrors and etc. but I seem to never remember to check which side the gas cap is on, and pull into the pumps wrong to refuel it when returning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
I'm no expert but familiarity with each motorcycle is critical. When I get on my old BMW the brakes which felt so strong before I got the CB now feel like lead and not very capable at Performing stops. I always have to use care when switching between the two motorcycles due to the breaking characteristic difference. The 20 Hp difference not such a big impact.

I apologize as I meant no slight to your riding ability or experience. I 'm just saying every motorcycle is different and familiarity is important.

Just like when I fly for work and get a rental car I've learned to take a few minutes and learn the layout of the controls, adjust the mirrors and etc. but I seem to never remember to check which side the gas cap is on, and pull into the pumps wrong to refuel it when returning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there isn't an arrow, whatever side the hose and handle extends out from on the gas pump picture on the dash is where the fuel fill is. At least that's what I was told, and I've never seen a car not like this since.
 
Thread starter
I understand, and I agree wholeheartedly with your illustration of becoming familiar the operation of our personal equipment, Elipten. And I sincerely APPRECIATE any and ALL input, suggestions or cautionary elements anyone is willing to share - so Thank You.

And even after having ridden my CB1100 400 miles I am still learning about the bike and it's characteristics. I was aware of the front brakes being both strong and extremely sensitive, and believe me, I've made every attempt to adapt my braking habits. Honestly, the bike's behavior in this instance took me completely by surprise - I was, however glad I didn't panic or overreact causing some real harm. But I have to say in all candidness, those front brakes are the most difficult I've ever encountered...

Above it all... I will continue to learn and adapt as well, and as quickly as I'm able.

Thanks again for all your input!
 
I am not aware of _any_ review that describes the front brake on our bikes as "strong and extremely sensitive". That is a relative statement, and not borne out by the comments of magazine-type reviewers. No offense intended.

The laws of physics apply here. If the front wheel is turned in either direction, and the front brake is applied, momentum is going to apply unequal force to the center of a 550-pound bike plus rider. The front tire is going to STOP, and the rear wheel will keep rolling. Applying the rear brake is the identical situation will result in different, and more manageable, forces. In this case, the rear wheel stops, and the front of the bike keeps moving slowly in the intended direction.

Many, if not most of us, have 50 years of experience. If we have been riding all of those years, we have experienced tremendous improvements in technology including brakes. Dual disc front brakes do their job as intended. It doesn't make them "extremely sensitive".

IMHO, gravity is a harsh mistress when you're turning a 550-lb bike at slow speed.

I'm not being condescending. I have dropped my CB1100 in the parking lot doing exactly what you described. It was 100% the result of bad technique on my part.

Again, no offense intended. :beerchug:
 
The power of the front brake was one of my most favorable impressions first time I rode my CB. I always use two fingers on the brake lever and modulating the fronts is progressive with great feel and feedback. Every bit as strong as the Brembos on the Guzzi Breva I had before but a bit easier to control.

I nearly dropped my ST1300 years ago in a similar situation to yours quietguy. Scary indeed, especially the idea of having to lift all 700+ pounds of it.
 
Thread starter
Then I will be the first to admit to my lack of braking skills with the CB1100... I'm sure I need a lot more work and practice with these particular units. No matter the number of years, or the quantity of motorcycles I've ridden, there's always room for learning and improvement.

But yeah... I do define these front brakes as VERY sensitive. I also use two fingers on the brake lever.
 
Don't sell, just learn the bike. I rode a friends Duc a few years ago. Had to do a quick stop and ended up with a stoppie. Scared the living heck out of me as had never done one or ever wanted to do one.

These modern bikes have most impressive braking. And some have most impressive Hp also!


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
kmoney_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I'm no expert but familiarity with each motorcycle is critical. When I get on my old BMW the brakes which felt so strong before I got the CB now feel like lead and not very capable at Performing stops. I always have to use care when switching between the two motorcycles due to the breaking characteristic difference. The 20 Hp difference not such a big impact.

I apologize as I meant no slight to your riding ability or experience. I 'm just saying every motorcycle is different and familiarity is important.

Just like when I fly for work and get a rental car I've learned to take a few minutes and learn the layout of the controls, adjust the mirrors and etc. but I seem to never remember to check which side the gas cap is on, and pull into the pumps wrong to refuel it when returning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there isn't an arrow, whatever side the hose and handle extends out from on the gas pump picture on the dash is where the fuel fill is. At least that's what I was told, and I've never seen a car not like this since.
If there isn't an arrow, whatever side the hose and handle extends out from on the gas pump picture on the dash is where the fuel fill is. At least that's what I was told, and I've never seen a car not like this since.
Kudos to the engineer that thought of that. I will try to remember.....
 
Reading all this with great interest. Years back I sold a Ducati which had the best brakes I've experienced. The new owner gets on the bike and immediately grabs a handful of brake. I politely imply that this bike is different than his sportster, please take your time. At the end of my driveway he locks the front and is quickly on the ground. The reason the brakes locked is I have a gravel driveway, on pavement with more friction the braking action might have been OK. As said 2 fingers is better and brakes are not an on-off switch. You can lock up rear brakes usually safely.. Front brakes are another matter..
 
I think you answered your own question... you were on gravel.

How many max braking drills have you done onboard your CB?
 
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Quietguy , I only have 150 miles on my bike and my first observation upon riding it was how touchy the front brake is. It's unfortunate the Std doesn't have ABS, but we all have to learn the nuances of new bikes. I would have to say the 1100 has the "grabbiest" front bike of any bike I've ever ridden. I think some high speed parking lot "practice" might be in order for me.
quietguy_imp said:
Then I will be the first to admit to my lack of braking skills with the CB1100... I'm sure I need a lot more work and practice with these particular units. No matter the number of years, or the quantity of motorcycles I've ridden, there's always room for learning and improvement.

But yeah... I do define these front brakes as VERY sensitive. I also use two fingers on the brake lever.
 
Thread starter
I suspect I got a bit too relaxed, maybe complacent... or just inattentive. I'll certainly be a lot more tuned in during future rides.
 
I use the rear brakes by themselves at low speed. The fronts are two powerful for me to use at low speed without causing the forks to dive, with or without lock-up, just when you are trying to be very accurate in placing the bike somewhere. Nothing worse than smoothly coming to a red light and then at the last second the front brake locks and the forks dive and perhaps even making you lose her.
 
Thread starter
Good points, all, NightRider...

Since my little mishap I've done due diligence and employed a lot of practice times during my rides. Once I calmed down, things have come together but I'm still very careful with front brake applications.

Thanks for your post.
 
Very glad to have read this thread, as my other bike--klr650--has soft brakes, and others I've had, sportster, xs650s, a few others, none had dual up front and so the cb1100 has a really different feel for me...as in "holy bat-brakes, this thing has stopping power!"

With only a handful of rides, I think I'll go to a local parking lot where mc courses are held and do some slow speed manouvers and braking so that there are no surprises.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Very glad to have read this thread, as my other bike--klr650--has soft brakes, and others I've had, sportster, xs650s, a few others, none had dual up front and so the cb1100 has a really different feel for me...as in "holy bat-brakes, this thing has stopping power!"

With only a handful of rides, I think I'll go to a local parking lot where mc courses are held and do some slow speed manouvers and braking so that there are no surprises.
I'm with you. The first day I went to a local school parking lot and practiced slow turns and rear lockup stops so hopefully when it happens for real I'll know to ride it to a stop.

You are also right, this bike can stop quick and it can also slow quick right before a 90 degree mountain road curve and then turn sharp with the throttle up to raise her up off the shocks for that tight turn and then keep going without dropping as if we do 90 degree turns every day without breaking a sweat.

Awesome bike. Awesome brakes and handling. Everytime I look at a new cruiser I recall how difficult it must be for a cruiser to match the handling of this bike.
 
Back
Top