Frequency of chain oiling?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So the guy at the Honda dealer said that I should be oiling the chain every week. I've only had shaft drive up to this point so that seems a bit excessive to me.

What are you guys doing?
 
Wow. That does seem excessive. I'll admit that when it comes to chain maintenance, I'm not that fastidious. I clean and lube my chain every thousand miles or so. When I do, it doesn't appear to be all that dirty. I do it anyway out of a sense of obligation. I never just oil my chain without first cleaning it. With the mileage I typically put on, I'm cleaning and lubing the chain approximately every two months.
 
If you lube that chain every week, you might want to check out the threads on "What do you guys use to clean your rear wheels"? :)
 
since it almost never rains in california, I lube my chain with WD40 whenever i clean my wheels .... every 1K or so ....
if you live in area with lots of rain , then yes, I would lube it every 300-400 miles or so ...
BTW, lubrication for the links is not the issue ... for that you have the grease and the various design of O-Rings ( X- whatever ) , it's for the roller balls to better glide on the sprocket ..... and in racing to actually cool the chain to reduce tear and wear ....
 
I use Belrays chain lube (forget the type...) and do it about every 400 miles. I track it by doing it only when I hit round mileage divisible by 400. 800, 1200, 1600, 2000... Etc. But I bet at that, I'm still doing it too frequently.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
So the guy at the Honda dealer said that I should be oiling the chain every week. I've only had shaft drive up to this point so that seems a bit excessive to me.

What are you guys doing?
Whenever the sleeves of the chain look dry, I oil them with a special
chain oil spray. It depends on the weather. After a rain tour
I always oil. Otherwise there is much more time between the oiling sessions.
With some experience you get a feel (and an eye) for how a dry chain runs in contrast to a good oiled one.

Wisedrum
 
Once a week seems kind of arbitrary. What if you only ride it every other week? :D

I give the chain a spritz about every 3-400 miles. Even that may be excessive. Sealed chains don't require anywhere near the amount of lubing that the old standard chains needed. Back in the bad ol' pre O-ring days I probably lubed the chain once a week if not more.
 
My Honda manual says every 1,000 kms (600 miles) or earlier if the chain appears dry.
 
With our unpredictable weather, I check the chain after each ride, if it looks a bit dry I give it a lube but only enough to dampen the links. If it looks dirty it gets a clean and lube. Simple as that.
 
I read you're supposed to clean and lube it every 300 miles not just spray lube on a dirty chain. So I've been doing that religiously +/- 500 miles :). Saw a sportbike today with a rusted chain and it still moved. I'm not recommending that level of neglect, but I try not to be too obsessive.
 
mjezek_imp said:
since it almost never rains in california, I lube my chain with WD40 whenever i clean my wheels .... every 1K or so ....
if you live in area with lots of rain , then yes, I would lube it every 300-400 miles or so ...
BTW, lubrication for the links is not the issue ... for that you have the grease and the various design of O-Rings ( X- whatever ) , it's for the roller balls to better glide on the sprocket ..... and in racing to actually cool the chain to reduce tear and wear ....
It's all right use only wd40 for cleaning and lubricating?I don't use another lubricant...
Every 500km (in my country rains 4days per week, and one active volcano ejected ash
 
Cormanus_imp said:
My Honda manual says every 1,000 kms (600 miles) or earlier if the chain appears dry.
Duh... why didn't I think of that... checking the manual. You guys from down under are smart!!! :cool:
 
ride4now_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
My Honda manual says every 1,000 kms (600 miles) or earlier if the chain appears dry.
Duh... why didn't I think of that... checking the manual. You guys from down under are smart!!! :cool:
Duh... why didn't I think of that... checking the manual. You guys from down under are smart!!! :cool:
Not much else to do down here but read manuals. :sleepy:
 
WD-40 is not a lubricant! You may see a little lubricating evidence in the very short term due to some of its other ingredients, but WD-40 is meant to dry things out. It is also very thin and runs off very quickly.

It's OK for cleaning, but it's very important to follow up with an actual lubricant.

My chain looked very good at my 600 mile service that I did, still very waxy. I still added some Chain Wax that's sold at the Honda dealer and what the Honda service guy said to use. Now, at 1500 miles, it still looks like it's brand new, still very waxy. I mostly ride in clean, dry conditions. That chain wax is some great stuff.
 
You will eventually miss the convenience of the shaft drive. Honda did put shafts on some of their 80's Nighthawk 650/700/750 CB models and for the most part I thought they did an okay job. In terms of chains, I don't particularly like them, but the CB1100 is a glorious ride. I used to have a routine lube regime, but now I just execute on demand (did I mentioned I don't like chains). It seems if the O-rings are in good shape (and no crusty rusted links), I just try mitigating crud build-up - I quickly clean with WD-40, or sometimes kerosene. I let dry, and in the kerosene case I re-lube with a DuPont teflon chain lubrication that goes on clear and dries. I've been doing this for too long and never lost a sprocket or chain. My last ride had a chain with more than 32000 kms on it and is still going. I used several exotic motorcycle lubes, and they work too, but behave messy for me.

FYI: If you happen to ride in -25C winters (unlikely in LA), you will need to clean/lube the chain more often as road salt dust tends to wreak havoc on bare metal.

Enjoy the ride!
 
My chain has done 37,000 kms and is going strong. I am not particularly diligent at looking after it, either.

Pterodactyl's has, I think, done more than 50,000 kms.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
WD-40 is not a lubricant! You may see a little lubricating evidence in the very short term due to some of its other ingredients, but WD-40 is meant to dry things out. It is also very thin and runs off very quickly.

It's OK for cleaning, but it's very important to follow up with an actual lubricant.

My chain looked very good at my 600 mile service that I did, still very waxy. I still added some Chain Wax that's sold at the Honda dealer and what the Honda service guy said to use. Now, at 1500 miles, it still looks like it's brand new, still very waxy. I mostly ride in clean, dry conditions. That chain wax is some great stuff.
I completely agree, WD40 is a cleaner but not a chain lubricant. I also use Chain Wax, as do my buddies. It works really well and stays on the chain pretty well. I generally lube 3-4 times a season.
 
Back
Top