Frequency of chain oiling?

Xring chains are so good nowadays all you really lube is where the chain contacts the sprockets. I dab a little axle grease on the inside of about 3 links. It will distribute and a can of grease lasts about 20 years. Clean it a couple of times a season with WD40 and grease it up. I get well over 20k out of my chains and that's on hyperbikes. This CB chain may last 30k.
 
What do you guys use to clean the chain?

Just a wipe-down with a clean rag, or use something like WD40 (I see that mentioned above)?
 
Townie_imp said:
What do you guys use to clean the chain?

Just a wipe-down with a clean rag, or use something like WD40 (I see that mentioned above)?
I use kerosene. It's a lot less expensive to give the chain a good soaking with kerosene than WD-40. I've got a chain brush, but it's really not necessary unless the chain is heavily caked with lube sludge. If you're cleaning it fairly regularly (I do it every few thousand miles), just some heavy rags will do the job.
 
I oil my chain every 500mi. But the chain on this bike is amazing, because I have 2200 miles on the original chain and it still has never needed to be adjusted yet. :celebrate: Being a brand new chain I would have thought some stretching would have occurred in the first 500 miles. Who needs shaft drive anyway!
 
Almost 12k adjusted once at 8400
 
Townie_imp said:
What do you guys use to clean the chain?

Just a wipe-down with a clean rag, or use something like WD40 (I see that mentioned above)?
I use this stuff.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tirox-chain-cleaner-with-brush.html

The cleaner isn't really that special, but that spiral brush it comes with works a treat -- you basically just hold it and spin the wheel and your chain gets spotless. Their chain lube also works really well.
 
Maybe a silly question, but what is the lube that comes on the chain from the factory? Is this the Pro Honda Chain Lube?

That stuff seems to work quite well.
 
I red the manual and got every two gas tankfuls. I made that into 300 - 500 mi. I ran into a couple of really "oldheads" riding cross country who used to bake their chains
at a couple of hundred degrees and such. I am very scrupulous on doing chain care. And yes, I will take a chain over a shaft any time. I've done too much long
distance riding. I can limp to the next whatever on a paper clip. When a shaft gets turned you done. I've been using WD-40 to clean and then various chain lube
products. I guess I'll have to try the Motol products now. Amazon you say? Cool. Thanks.
 
I'm surprised so many people here are recommending WD40 as a degreaser. According to Ryan F9 on YouTube, WD40 can dissolve O ring seals.

I've been using Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser with a plastic grunge brush and then I dry it/wipe it clean using fresh rags (old worn out socks! Lol). Once the chain is nice and clean, I hit it with Maxima Chain Wax.

If you let the Chain Wax sit on the chain for a couple hours before riding again, it hardens up nicely and you get very minimal splatter.

I've been oiling it every 1000 miles or so. I didn't realize the MOM recommended 600 miles. I just lubed my chain today with a 1000 miles on it, and other than some minor sludge that came right off, the chain was still nice and juicy.

I was thinking I was supposed to do it every 1000 miles, but I guess I should keep a closer eye on it.

I'm in North Texas so a relatively dry climate.

DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser for https://a.co/d/11PPAV2

DuPont Motorcycle Grunge Brush Amazon.com: Dupont Motorcycle Grunge Brush | Deep Cleans Motorcycle Chains - Long Bristles For Gears - Heavy-Duty & Impact-Resistant : Automotive

Maxima 74920 Chain Wax - 13.5 oz. Aerosol https://a.co/d/eKa7Sg3
 
^^
I also use Grunge brush to clean, Maxima wax my chain right after ride when the chain is still warm and let it sit overnight. Minimal mess, if any.
 
Tutoro natural-fed (gravity + up/down motion) auto-chain lubricator and unused synthetic 5W40 engine oil.

Round trip to the 2023 East Coast CB1100 Rally of just under 3000 kms consumed maybe 50 mL of oil and the chain was beautifully preserved and self-cleaned (perfectly juicy, not too much, not too little).

If I feel weak, I will sometimes clean the chain quickly with a generous dose of WD40 and wipe off. Never experienced disintegrating o-rings.

O-ring will definitely disappear with a mucky or un-lubed chain, and perhaps by an aggressive use of a scrubbing brush. I never scrub my chains (they don't need it since they are self-cleaning).

I used to use chain wax regularly. Seems a very long time ago now. I think my last bit of spray can chain wax will get my hedge trimmer through perhaps one more cutting season.

So in short:

Recurring chain lube cost comes down to a liter of synthetic 5W40 engine oil every 10 years or so, perhaps 60 cents a year or less and no labour effort. Just fill 'n' ride.
 
Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?
Can one see/inspect o-rings for wear ?
Is the cost of a new chain (or whether it lasts 10k or 15k miles worth a lot of concern ?
Is there a risk of a fatal accident if a chain isn’t frequently greased?

I tend to say, oil it now and then, check tension (mine hasn’t changed in over 10k mikes), and ... ride.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?
Can one see/inspect o-rings for wear ?
Is the cost of a new chain (or whether it lasts 10k or 15k miles worth a lot of concern ?
Is there a risk of a fatal accident if a chain isn’t frequently greased?

I tend to say, oil it now and then, check tension (mine hasn’t changed in over 10k mikes), and ... ride.
Honda chains are not self cleaning. The O rings hold grease inside the chain. You can’t really see them when the chain's on the bike, but if the O rings crack and leak, eventually the chain can seize up, which could potentially cause the rear tire to lock up. Depending on when and where that happens, yes, it could potentially be fatal.

Edit...


GoldOxide_imp said:
Tutoro natural-fed (gravity + up/down motion) auto-chain lubricator and unused synthetic 5W40 engine oil.

Round trip to the 2023 East Coast CB1100 Rally of just under 3000 kms consumed maybe 50 mL of oil and the chain was beautifully preserved and self-cleaned (perfectly juicy, not too much, not too little).

If I feel weak, I will sometimes clean the chain quickly with a generous dose of WD40 and wipe off. Never experienced disintegrating o-rings.

O-ring will definitely disappear with a mucky or un-lubed chain, and perhaps by an aggressive use of a scrubbing brush. I never scrub my chains (they don't need it since they are self-cleaning).

I used to use chain wax regularly. Seems a very long time ago now. I think my last bit of spray can chain wax will get my hedge trimmer through perhaps one more cutting season.

So in short:

Recurring chain lube cost comes down to a liter of synthetic 5W40 engine oil every 10 years or so, perhaps 60 cents a year or less and no labour effort. Just fill 'n' ride.
Thanks for that! Found a cool YouTube of a Tutoro install...


 
The Gecko_imp said:
Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?
Can one see/inspect o-rings for wear ?
Is the cost of a new chain (or whether it lasts 10k or 15k miles worth a lot of concern ?
Is there a risk of a fatal accident if a chain isn’t frequently greased?

I tend to say, oil it now and then, check tension (mine hasn’t changed in over 10k mikes), and ... ride.
Self-cleaning is not a property of the chain manufacturer.

It is an action of debris "flinging" off a well-lubricated chain as it spins. For the on-road going CB1100 it is less of a desire compared to those who ride off-road or on gravel roads.

Healthy chain o-rings contain grease in each chain link for lubrication. However, if the o-ring seal is compromised by any tearing or wearing action, that link will eventually fail as the link grease can no longer be contained.
 
mjezek' pid='88427' dateline='1431116432 said:
since it almost never rains in california, I lube my chain with WD40 whenever i clean my wheels .... every 1K or so ....

WD40 is not a good chain lubricant.
 
Back
Top