Forum Member M.I.A.

Gumby 1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
It has now been exactly 1 month since one of our members has posted or signed in.
Should we assume the worst? One of his last posts did state that he had just done his own brake job on one of his bikes...or, maybe he just went on a very long vacation without internet access.

He was known for ruffling a few feathers in "some" of his posts.
Perhaps he left in a huff after a difference of opinion. However, when this happens you usually still sign in occasionally to see the responses to your latest post(s). Could he now be signing in under a new pseudonym?

Which member is this?
For those who haven't the foggiest, I've been waiting to use this Seinfeld reference for a long time...

The first part of his forum name sounds like one of Jerry's initial guesses at a woman's name that rhymes with "a female body part" ;)

Hopefully this is not too insensitive if something serious actually did happen to him. Perhaps he'll eventually respond and advise that the rumours of his demise were greatly exaggerated!
 
lol we (we being moderators and administrator) were just discussing this the other day. We hope nothing has happened to him as well, but my guess that he just couldn't take hanging around a bunch of old fogies who refused to believe the the CB1100 was a sport bike and that revving the snot out of it was the "proper" way to ride it. lol

just a guess though. He never left a way an email address in his personal info for us to get ahold of him through.

on the same note motorcycle forums are living breathing things, members come and go. Some change bikes, some get bored, some get mad, some decide they have better things to do than sit around and type on a computer. This one, because of it's civility is especially hard to keep people interested. People love drama and we don't have much drama here. The "drama" people, those who seek it, rarely hang around long. Then again there is the bike, limited run niche bike that is so good there is little drama in it as well.

I'm ok with all of that.
 
I suspect the weather has finally cooled off a bit in his neck of the woods and he's been out pushing his bikes to the limit! :)

I do miss his posts though.

I miss Pterodactyl too.
 
LOL I just went back and read the "sport bike" poll and postings and it made my brain hurt and eyes bleed like an oil thread.

I agree with whoever posted that the CB1100 is a 'standard'. Or a 'nekked' one.
 
I have other another forum that I have over 30,000 posts on since it started in 1998. Countless hours reading and talking there- and now I am lucky if I glance at it for 5 minutes a week just to see whats new- and guess what- nothing is new.

A lot of forums are dying out. Why? I don't know. But it is a snowball that rolls downhill- less posts from others me less reason for me to go to post, etc..

I'll be honest, once I learn what I need to learn about this bike, and finish modifying it and posting my changes- there isn't much need to log in here. Nobody I know has one, and none of you live close to me to go on rides worth sharing..
 
Social media has done a number on forums across the board. Like Facebook or not, it's the dominant platform now and a lot of people have gone there and not looked back. Some formerly vibrant forums have gone quiet. I like both options, especially nice ones like this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I find that funny. I don't facebook. I liked forums. Heck, I liked email lists, but forums show pictures easier and have better continuity.

To me, Facebook is a cluster cuss. Maybe I am just old and don't / can't be bothered to learn how to use it.
 
I don't do Facebook. Facebook is not your friend.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don't do Facebook. Facebook is not your friend.
Too right, but if you ever want to be a lurker there, let me know and I'll give you the Cormanus low down on Facebook invisibility.
 
Just to be clear...forums ARE social media. I love Facebook, but not for the conversations we have here. On Facebothe loadok, we are at the mercy of what Facebook wants us to see and when they want us to see it. It's easier to post, especially pictures, but the "How To" and "Seat Time" threads just wouldn't work on Facebook.

We may have fewer members here, or not. I do not know the answer. What I do know is that, as was stated earlier, if there is a continuous flow of useful conversation here, people will stay here.

As to Ultevanna, I suspect that he didn't find the flow of conversation useful.
 
Capo_imp said:
Social media has done a number on forums across the board. Like Facebook or not, it's the dominant platform now and a lot of people have gone there and not looked back. Some formerly vibrant forums have gone quiet. I like both options, especially nice ones like this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've been talking about this a lot locally, as one of our sportbikes forums that started in 2002 and became l basically the sole home for local riders, basically imploded over the last couple years and got replaced by two local facebook groups with essentially the same members.

Facebook as it benefits, but it will never replace forums for technical information or as a resource you can reference years down the road. I've found tons of information on this and other forums that I have bookmarked and printed that has saved me thousands of dollars and been of great use -- FB not so much. It's kind of sad to see lots of forums begin to go under.

I use Facebook, not so much because I like it, but because without access to events and FB messenger you basically couldn't be part of the motorcycle scene in Vancouver.
 
He probably just got bored. I've had periods where I step away from the forum stuff for a while. It's not always even intentional. Sometimes other things take priority and I don't even think about it. I eventually do gravitate back though because I do like the civil discourse on this forum. I don't like stupid, petty drama.
 
I was wondering where he went. I think he hangs at the track too. He may have traded the Honda for a more powerful road bike. I've been eyeing the new Yamaha thou myself.
 
Toddman, I stopped at our local dealer on this morning cold, wet ride, and their original FZ10 is still sitting there. They say no one even shows any interest in it, which is mind blowing to me. Such a great motorcycle, yet just in the last 2 days they have sold an F6B and one of those upspec Bolts.

I would love to have an FZ-10.
 
Personally I miss his posts, especially the polite ones. His different perspective and breadth of knowledge was useful and informative.
 
Back
Top