forkbrace?

redbirds_imp said:
Before a ride with our church group yesterday, one of the riders was complaining of excessive wear on his front tire on a VT1300 Honda. Asked if he had checked his tire pressures, " not since I bought the bike a few years ago" he said. A check showed less than 15lbs front and rear. Amazing that some people don't know the importance of keeping tires properly inflated.
That is amazing. One might assume he's neglected his oil changes too!
 
Indypikes_imp said:
Sorry to chime in late here....Do we know yet if there is a Fork Brace available for use with gaiters? I've searched but haven't been able to find an update.

I'm looking to improve front end stability under extra load (weight). It's worked for me on other bikes in the past. I also like the looks.

Thanks, Scott
I had this same question. I saw a pic somewhere on the net where the fork brace was mounted in a manner that prevented gaiter bottoms from being mounted to the fork seal covers.
 
Gaiters and fork brace end up in same place. Wont work.
 
What symptoms occur to warrant installing a fork brace? I'm not talking about a racing bike, just your normal, everyday pleasure riding--no extreme leaning in curves, etc.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gaiters and fork brace end up in same place. Wont work.
Unless someone makes a brace that has provisions in place for the gaitors to slip over onto.

White Dog_imp said:
What symptoms occur to warrant installing a fork brace? I'm not talking about a racing bike, just your normal, everyday pleasure riding--no extreme leaning in curves, etc.
+1

This isn't the first time I've come across fork brace thread pertaining to a 'standard' bike.

I knew the typical Honda quality would be there, but how the bike performs really surprised the hell out of me. This bike is as stable as a freight train (not the first time I've experienced that feeling on a standard bike) at triple digit speeds.

So, this really does beg the question, how are people riding their bikes, and what are the body types riding these bikes?

I'm 5'9 and weigh in the neighborhood of 155-160.

There has been nothing added onto my bike. It's bone stock. So no screen.

So far, I've been heavily suited up for cold weather riding. So bulky gear.

I dunno, I just can't see Honda screwing up one bike, and the next is perfectly set-up, then repeat the cycle all over again and again.

I'm genuinely curious as to why there as so many different thoughts on this.

***And for the record, I have ridden bikes that needed fork braces. Mainly older bikes that had very small diameter tubes. This just isn't one of those bikes.***
 
If there is head shake, have the dealer check that the steering head bearings are torqued correctly.

Personally I think the OP was just in dirty air. STs are noted for dancing in dirty air, but I didn't have that happen. Don't know why.

Honda can mess things up. Mine had 2 messed up things: A lot of air in the rear brake system, and I can't remember #2, but I fixed it as it was minor. Some have had problems with the clutch switch connectors not being fitted on tightly and causing problems.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If there is head shake, have the dealer check that the steering head bearings are torqued correctly.

Personally I think the OP was just in dirty air. STs are noted for dancing in dirty air, but I didn't have that happen. Don't know why.

Honda can mess things up. Mine had 2 messed up things: A lot of air in the rear brake system, and I can't remember #2, but I fixed it as it was minor. Some have had problems with the clutch switch connectors not being fitted on tightly and causing problems.
That's not really what I meant by things messed up.

I'm talking about the design of the bike itself. And this bike isn't messed up at all.
 
I am 6' 225 lbs and ride the bike like a sport bike, seeing triple digits almost every time I am on it and iv'e got 28 yrs of riding experience on almost 20 different bikes and i find the handling to be just fine for this type of bike. I dont believe a brace is needed. It may help a little but by no means a necessary item needed at all. Just my honest opinion. The bike is a semi heavy bike with a thin neck so its not going to feel as planted as a sport tourer or sport bike but for what it is I feel it does the job well.
 
I'm 6 ft and about 215 lbs. I am more impressed with how sturdy feeling this bike is, in all situations, every time I climb on board. The last time I added fork braces to a bike was when we use to make choppers and extended the forks by 6 to 18 inches. Believe me it was required! Of course we didn't concern ourselves much with minor things like handling anyway.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I am 6' 225 lbs and ride the bike like a sport bike, seeing triple digits almost every time I am on it and iv'e got 28 yrs of riding experience on almost 20 different bikes and i find the handling to be just fine for this type of bike. I dont believe a brace is needed. It may help a little but by no means a necessary item needed at all. Just my honest opinion. The bike is a semi heavy bike with a thin neck so its not going to feel as planted as a sport tourer or sport bike but for what it is I feel it does the job well.
I'm about your size but do not ride anywhere near triple digits. May have seen 90 one time and it felt there was plenty more. I agree with you that a fork brace is not needed on my cycle since I don't race it, or jerk it around. I've been riding since 1980 and have been in one side ditch in all those years. Stupid of me to try to keep up with a crotch rocket on a very curvy road. Fortunately, the cycle did not go down but I quickly learnd to respect what the cycle I was on could or could not do very quickly. Being airborne for a couple seconds was all the "thrill" I ever want. Managed to keep it under control both before and after the air ride.
 
White Dog_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
I am 6' 225 lbs and ride the bike like a sport bike, seeing triple digits almost every time I am on it and iv'e got 28 yrs of riding experience on almost 20 different bikes and i find the handling to be just fine for this type of bike. I dont believe a brace is needed. It may help a little but by no means a necessary item needed at all. Just my honest opinion. The bike is a semi heavy bike with a thin neck so its not going to feel as planted as a sport tourer or sport bike but for what it is I feel it does the job well.
I'm about your size but do not ride anywhere near triple digits. May have seen 90 one time and it felt there was plenty more. I agree with you that a fork brace is not needed on my cycle since I don't race it, or jerk it around. I've been riding since 1980 and have been in one side ditch in all those years. Stupid of me to try to keep up with a crotch rocket on a very curvy road. Fortunately, the cycle did not go down but I quickly learnd to respect what the cycle I was on could or could not do very quickly. Being airborne for a couple seconds was all the "thrill" I ever want. Managed to keep it under control both before and after the air ride.
I'm about your size but do not ride anywhere near triple digits. May have seen 90 one time and it felt there was plenty more. I agree with you that a fork brace is not needed on my cycle since I don't race it, or jerk it around. I've been riding since 1980 and have been in one side ditch in all those years. Stupid of me to try to keep up with a crotch rocket on a very curvy road. Fortunately, the cycle did not go down but I quickly learnd to respect what the cycle I was on could or could not do very quickly. Being airborne for a couple seconds was all the "thrill" I ever want. Managed to keep it under control both before and after the air ride.
Well said, i agree. Respect the bike your on. Don't get me wrong, i'm not riding around every street over 100 mph but when on a highway and passing a semi or down by the ocean on a long straight away I bring it up over the 1@@mph mark often and not for too long. The bike only does 112 if that so its not like a huge thrill. Takes a bit to get there and once your there that's it, no more to go. Its fun but not mind blowing. Bike is stable at higher speeds but by no means a racing bike of any sorts. With the ECU re flash and an open exhaust and air kit i'm sure it will kick a little more.
 
I have two on my 14 non-standard bike. I mark the measurements roughly with a felt tip pen and grind down the fork gaiters until they just fit. After doing this I can reach 140 mph without shifting and I experience zero instability problems and vibrations. I don't have to put air in my tires saving lots of time before leaving for my ride.
...and as somebody else said, it is pretty and if one is pretty then two are prettier.
 
NightRider_imp said:
I have two on my 14 non-standard bike. I mark the measurements roughly with a felt tip pen and grind down the fork gaiters until they just fit. After doing this I can reach 140 mph without shifting and I experience zero instability problems and vibrations. I don't have to put air in my tires saving lots of time before leaving for my ride.
...and as somebody else said, it is pretty and if one is pretty then two are prettier.
140mph Nice, you must have the reflash and full exhaust plus fuel kit. Dont quite get the rest of the post. Two of what? Isnt the fork brace one piece and referring to tire pressure, are you saying you have no need for checking it regularly? Maybe im missing something here.
140mph Nice, you must have the reflash and full exhaust plus fuel kit. Dont quite get the rest of the post. Two of what? Isnt the fork brace one piece and referring to tire pressure, are you saying you have no need for checking it regularly? Maybe im missing something here. Im guessing you were joking around
140mph Nice, you must have the reflash and full exhaust plus fuel kit. Dont quite get the rest of the post. Two of what? Isnt the fork brace one piece and referring to tire pressure, are you saying you have no need for checking it regularly? Maybe im missing something here. Im guessing you were joking around
NightRider_imp said:
I have two on my 14 non-standard bike. I mark the measurements roughly with a felt tip pen and grind down the fork gaiters until they just fit. After doing this I can reach 140 mph without shifting and I experience zero instability problems and vibrations. I don't have to put air in my tires saving lots of time before leaving for my ride.
...and as somebody else said, it is pretty and if one is pretty then two are prettier.
140mph Nice, you must have the reflash and full exhaust plus fuel kit. Dont quite get the rest of the post. Two of what? Isnt the fork brace one piece and referring to tire pressure, are you saying you have no need for checking it regularly? Maybe im missing something here.
 
As opposed to an untrue one! Hondas are honest.
 
Toddman_imp said:
I too experienced this small wobble that you feel. At about 70mph is when I felt it. I'm going to check the steering bearings torque and will post back.

Edit: I've had them be a tad loose from the factory in the past.
what is the torque settong for the steering bearing nut?


I might wanna have mine checked as well since I still feel too much wobble while the majority here says I should feel any wobble what so ever.

thx
 
From the manual. Apply oil to the steering stem adjusting nut threads. Install and tighten the adjusting nut to the specified torque using the special tool. 21 foot pounds.

Move the steering stem right and left, lock to lock, five times to seat the bearings. Make sure the steering stem moves smoothly without play or binding. Relighted the steering stem adjusting nut to the specified torque--21 ft lbs.

Recheck that the steering stem moves smoothly without play or binding.

My words here. When it's time to put the big chrome nut on (steering stem nut) torque to 76ft lbs. and then 'Move the steering stem right and left, lock to lock and make sure that the steering stem moves smoothly without play or binding.

Then you check steering head bearing pre-load.

Jack up the motorcycle to raise the front wheel off the ground.
Position the tearing stem to the straight ahead position.
Hook a spring scale to the fork pipe (between the top bridge and the bottom bridge) and measure the steering head bearing pre-load--3.1 lbs

In other words, it should take 3.1 lbs to get the fork to start to move. If out of spec, it says to go back and adjust the steering stem adjusting nut (not the big chrome one, that's the steering stem nut)

For the spring scale, you could use a fish scale. You know, you hook a fish on it and hold it up and see what it reads. I don't know how accurate they are, just a thought.
Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top