the Ferret
Road warrior
That's a good way to put it Southwend. Look at it this way...it can't hurt.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There is one way it can possibly hurt: scratching your fork tubes. I have had fork braces leave indentations from tightening onto the fork lowers when they were removed. If this happens I can tell you it will really tick you off!!The ferret_imp said:That's a good way to put it Southwend. Look at it this way...it can't hurt.
Thanks Mickey, I never considered that. So what is the consensus of riders with the fork braces, do you think it helps keep front tire wear down?The ferret_imp said:Capt, we have measured and the rear tire does wear faster like on all bikes, the front tire just has way less rubber to start with
That's just plain frightening... Amazing, and very lucky, he hadn't crashed before then. I hope he's gotten tuned into regular and routine tire pressure checks and adjustments.redbirds_imp said:Before a ride with our church group yesterday, one of the riders was complaining of excessive wear on his front tire on a VT1300 Honda. Asked if he had checked his tire pressures, " not since I bought the bike a few years ago" he said. A check showed less than 15lbs front and rear. Amazing that some people don't know the importance of keeping tires properly inflated.
The weaving you felt is more than likely occurring at the steering head. A fork brace will do nothing for that. It is an issue of air passing around you and your bike, not front fork flex. Relax, it is not a problemsouthwend_imp said:I was behind a turbulent log truck the other day at 60mph gently weaving in my lane to avoid the occaisonal chip. I noticed a slight wobble as I was pulling the bike side to side through the turbulence. Not when i was straight, but when I was torquing the steering. Is this an correctable by fork brace?
It definetly felt like it was generated by the tire/fork/road connection it wasn't wind. I do not have any sort of fairing on.
What do you think.
There is one way it can possibly hurt: scratching your fork tubes. I have had fork braces leave indentations from tightening onto the fork lowers when they were removed. If this happens I can tell you it will really tick you off!!veech_imp said:There is one way it can possibly hurt: scratching your fork tubes. I have had fork braces leave indentations from tightening onto the fork lowers when they were removed. If this happens I can tell you it will really tick you off!!The ferret_imp said:That's a good way to put it Southwend. Look at it this way...it can't hurt.![]()
That $150 part can potentially do some expensive damage.