forkbrace?

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was behind a turbulent log truck the other day at 60mph gently weaving in my lane to avoid the occaisonal chip. I noticed a slight wobble as I was pulling the bike side to side through the turbulence. Not when i was straight, but when I was torquing the steering. Is this an correctable by fork brace?
It definetly felt like it was generated by the tire/fork/road connection it wasn't wind. I do not have any sort of fairing on.
What do you think.
 
Maybe. I'm sure others will disagree, but I don't think fork braces are worth it personally. They help a "little", but they usually don't provide the return for the buck in my opinion. The other thing is, they have to be cranked onto your lower forks, which means if you decide to remove it at some point later it will have probably left permanent marks.

I would try a steering dampener first if it was me and see how I liked the results. Plus, they look cooler to me.
 
Southwind,

Fork braces are almost like oil threads. No one will/can agree if they are needed or do anything. There are a few discussions on them on the forum.

I'm in the I like them camp. To me they stiffen up the front end some and I like the look. I've had them on 3 bikes and could tell a difference right off.

SuperBrace (a forum spons0r) has reasonably priced ones and Samurider also has at least 2 brands--Plot and Agras. I have the Agras.

As far as return for the buck, well, what the heck, its your money. If you want one, get one :)
 
I agree with popgun. They are definitely a worthwhile addition to any bike. I've installed them on every bike I've owned and can feel the difference in how solid the front end feels. Yes, everyone has an opinion. But a fork brace works & Superbrace has the best one made.
As far as dampers go, I'm not a fan. You're introducing a friction or hydraulic resistance in the hopes of stopping what is probably a problem caused by some defect in your bike's chassis. Bad or incorrectly inflated tires, steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, aftermarket luggage, and so on can all cause problems that are sometimes felt as a wobble or weave. What you are experiencing is definitely the fork twisting slightly under the heavy load of a 500+ pound bike at speed. Rocket
 
I had one on my 750 Nighthawk and felt it a worthwhile addition. Doubt I'll put one on my 1100 but don't let that influence you. if you think it would make your bike more stable, go for it.
 
Lots of good advice and opinions here as usual. That's one of the things that's so great about this forum-people can have various opinions but they do so in a courteous and respectful manner. Very rare on the internet these days. I love you guys!
 
Thread starter
absolutely well put. You folks are knowledgable and courteous, I really enjoy posting and reading the discourse. Maybe it's because you-me-we are so darn old! I am as yet unsure about the brace, It occurs to me though that if such a simple thing worked, why wouldn't manufacturers install them? They could easily do it.
 
Some have. Honda used to produce some models with them as standard equipment in the late 70's if memory serves me. There were 4 lugs cast into the lower fork tube and a plate went across the top and bolted in the 4 corners. I think they were on V4 Sabres maybe?
 
V45 and V65 Sabre and Magna models from the early 80s came with factory fork braces but I added a steel plate under the factory cast aluminum anyway. That helped a lot. Every bike I've ridden since then I can notice the lack of a brace.
 
I too experienced this small wobble that you feel. At about 70mph is when I felt it. I'm going to check the steering bearings torque and will post back.

Edit: I've had them be a tad loose from the factory in the past.
 
Thread starter
Toddman_imp said:
I too experienced this small wobble that you feel. At about 70mph is when I felt it. I'm going to check the steering bearings torque and will post back.

Edit: I've had them be a tad loose from the factory in the past.
now isn't that interesting.
 
Also, I've been riding sportbikes for quite a while and I may not be used to the weave. Many sportbikes don't exhibit this characteristic as the triples and headstock are massive and strong. The frames are box aluminum and wrap around the engine. The CB frame cradles the engine and is of a tube design. I didn't notice an instability, it just felt different. The front fender is a fork brace of its own and will help considerably. I'm not sure that an additional fork brace will change this feeling.
Things to check:
Engine mount bolts, Head stock, swingarm bolts. Any or all of these will cause a weave.
 
Thread starter
Toddman_imp said:
Also, I've been riding sportbikes for quite a while and I may not be used to the weave. Many sportbikes don't exhibit this characteristic as the triples and headstock are massive and strong. The frames are box aluminum and wrap around the engine. The CB frame cradles the engine and is of a tube design. I didn't notice an instability, it just felt different. The front fender is a fork brace of its own and will help considerably. I'm not sure that an additional fork brace will change this feeling.
Things to check:
Engine mount bolts, Head stock, swingarm bolts. Any or all of these will cause a weave.
I need a cook book for this bike because I am sure you are requiring a series of torque wrench specifications. Makes sense though
 
I asked the guy that does tires for me this question and he says for this bike - definitely do a fork brace. The triple clamps aren't beefy enough as is. I'll be pricing one here soon. Gee - wonder if Superbrace has a discount for members?
 
DAC_imp said:
I asked the guy that does tires for me this question and he says for this bike - definitely do a fork brace. The triple clamps aren't beefy enough as is. I'll be pricing one here soon. Gee - wonder if Superbrace has a discount for members?
Dac,

Do you know what his reasoning is? I'm curious why he thinks the triple clamps aren't beefy enough.
 
Novice_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
I asked the guy that does tires for me this question and he says for this bike - definitely do a fork brace. The triple clamps aren't beefy enough as is. I'll be pricing one here soon. Gee - wonder if Superbrace has a discount for members?
Dac,

Do you know what his reasoning is? I'm curious why he thinks the triple clamps aren't beefy enough.
Dac,

Do you know what his reasoning is? I'm curious why he thinks the triple clamps aren't beefy enough.
So Ryan told me that the triple clamps on sportbikes and others that see significant load often come from the factory with the fork contact areas around 2"+ long with maybe two or three pinch bolts. The CB has about 1" with one pinch bolt and the triple tree just isn't that beefy.

He wasn't digging at the bike and he wasn't trying to sell me anything. Just telling me that, in his experience, it would be a big help. The guy has had about one of every bike ever made and worked on the rest. So he probably knows.

Novice, since your in Central Ohio, Ryan installs tires pretty reasonably. Just let me know.
 
Thread starter
So best case is it really helps, worst case is I am out $165.00.

Your Honor, I rest my case.
 
Back
Top