Forbidden Fruit...

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
With all of our talk about Facebook...

I don't use it to broadcast what I had for lunch or to tell everyone I know how my doctors appointments go, but I do look at Marketplace, since it's replacing Craig's and OfferUp as an online clearing house of interesting things.

Like this... don't see how it is road legal in the U.S., and it probably wouldn't be in California under any circumstances. But man do I want it!

I met up with a guy at a local biker spot a few years ago with one. He put a plate from another bike on it, and just banked on not being pulled over.
Facebook
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
With all of our talk about Facebook...

I don't use it to broadcast what I had for lunch or to tell everyone I know how my doctors appointments go, but I do look at Marketplace, since it's replacing Craig's and OfferUp as an online clearing house of interesting things.

Like this... don't see how it is road legal in the U.S., and it probably wouldn't be in California under any circumstances. But man do I want it!

I met up with a guy at a local biker spot a few years ago with one. He put a plate from another bike on it, and just banked on not being pulled over.
Facebook
What history / details am I missing? What's not legal about it?
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
With all of our talk about Facebook...

I don't use it to broadcast what I had for lunch or to tell everyone I know how my doctors appointments go, but I do look at Marketplace, since it's replacing Craig's and OfferUp as an online clearing house of interesting things.

Like this... don't see how it is road legal in the U.S., and it probably wouldn't be in California under any circumstances. But man do I want it!

I met up with a guy at a local biker spot a few years ago with one. He put a plate from another bike on it, and just banked on not being pulled over.
Facebook
What history / details am I missing? What's not legal about it?
"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
With all of our talk about Facebook...

I don't use it to broadcast what I had for lunch or to tell everyone I know how my doctors appointments go, but I do look at Marketplace, since it's replacing Craig's and OfferUp as an online clearing house of interesting things.

Like this... don't see how it is road legal in the U.S., and it probably wouldn't be in California under any circumstances. But man do I want it!

I met up with a guy at a local biker spot a few years ago with one. He put a plate from another bike on it, and just banked on not being pulled over.
Facebook
What history / details am I missing? What's not legal about it?
"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
"Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."
Ah...so I can buy it, plate it in Oregon, and there you have it?
 
Thread starter
I imagine it has a Nevada plate, as that's where it's being sold.

As much as I'd love to have it, the only way I could would be to replace our CB300R with it. And that is ostensibly Mrs. Gone's bike for whenever she'd like to take up riding. She's been talking more about it lately. I'd rather have her first bike be a cheap, easy-to-fix 300 than a rare, unobtanium black market import.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
With all of our talk about Facebook...

I don't use it to broadcast what I had for lunch or to tell everyone I know how my doctors appointments go, but I do look at Marketplace, since it's replacing Craig's and OfferUp as an online clearing house of interesting things.

Like this... don't see how it is road legal in the U.S., and it probably wouldn't be in California under any circumstances. But man do I want it!

I met up with a guy at a local biker spot a few years ago with one. He put a plate from another bike on it, and just banked on not being pulled over.
Facebook
Younger brother of the CB1300 :biker:
 
A few decades ago I knew a guy who had about a dozen bikes. Only one of them was registered, and he would just use magnets to hold that plate to any of the bikes. He was never pulled over and did it for the several years I knew him.
 
I’m not Californian, but you’ve done my head in m in sc.
 
i was trying to get this it has a clean naveda title
but BaT took so long to post my 1100 i missed it. price droped from 6000 to 5000
 
Thread starter
Actually, you could probably get away with it in California to some degree. Bikes aren’t subject to the same level of inspection as cars. If you built your own bike and wanted to get it registered, it would probably have to have an inspection for safety (lights, signals, etc). The origin of the vin number would be another story however unless it’s a number from the brand of bike you have resurrected. An inspector probably wouldn’t be too well versed in the specifics of motorcycle models…

The way to do it, as I noodle this, would be to keep one bike in your collection currently registered, and the rest on a “non operational” status, meaning you don’t intend to ride it, but you want to keep it in the DMV system. Insure all of your bikes. Put the currently registered plate on whatever bike you are riding. When you go to sell any of your bikes, they will still be in the state system, so a potential buyer wouldn’t be scared away by a backlog of delinquent registration fees.

Repairing a damaged bike under your insurance doesn’t require that it’s currently registered, so…

Hmm…
 
m in sc_imp said:
sometimes, you get caught in roadblocks as well. its going to happen. right before this pic was taken we were well over double the speed limit most of the afternoon.... no, we weren't pulled over but we do ride fast.

back on point... my jdm tzr currently has an 84 RZ350 plate on it. ;)
I think I now understand your comments in another thread about adjustable suspension a bit better now :)
 
m in sc_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
sometimes, you get caught in roadblocks as well. its going to happen. right before this pic was taken we were well over double the speed limit most of the afternoon.... no, we weren't pulled over but we do ride fast.

back on point... my jdm tzr currently has an 84 RZ350 plate on it. ;)
I think I now understand your comments in another thread about adjustable suspension a bit better now :)
Ive been pulled over on my grom for speeding before, so, it happens. lol. we all ride our own ride.
I was going to say " ... well done m in sc ... ", but then I realized that would be possible in a school zone. :-/
 
Back
Top