For those who like to wave

redbirds_imp said:
While riding in Florida earlier this month, I rarely received return waves from riders who were helmet-less, but riders wearing helmets waved back most times.

BTW, never seen so many riders without helmets. Made me feel uncomfortable seeing them and knowing that a helmet has twice saved me from death or serious head injury. To each his own.
ATGATT is becoming unfashionable. More and more states are lifting helmet requirements.

I'm actually glad of the legal loosening, although I don't support riding bareheaded. I'm in favor of choice - I think it's up to us, as informed riders-emissaries, to PERSUADE.

You never know when it'll happen - a month ago, I got rear-end tapped on my little TW...by a contractor-representative to my employer. Down I went...I was stopped at a light; I didn't get knocked over so much as put off-balance. Didn't hit my head although, with the curb right there, it was close.

Didn't see it coming. You never do.
c-breezy_imp said:
It's peace signs thrown down low here in SoCal...or is that the same thing?
Yah, pretty much.

Out East, it's a finger. No, not THAT finger...the index finger, like pointing down to the centerline. Out West it's more of a wave.

Same thingy.
capttwb136_imp said:
Where I live in Maryland, every motorcyclist waved back in the 60's and seventies. Then it sort of died out in the 80's and nineties. Some still waved but not even 50%. Then with the resurgence of Harley Davidson (you no longer had to wait a year for one) Waving seemed to make a come back. Older guys that had always wanted a bike when they were young finally got one. I guess they remembered how motorcyclists waved to each other.

It's funny, back in the mid 70's and eighties Harley riders would not wave back unless you were on a Harley. Today only a few won't wave.
























ra
Actually, cycling is less popular, not more so. It's part of the problem.

Thing of it is, those of us who do ride, are getting older. We're less likely to be all worried about the Brotherhood. As you get older, you turn inward...you won't seen Gold Wing riders or Harley trikers waving, I can guarantee you.

Now all the major Japanese brands are bringing out good, interesting starter and middleweight machines, made to a reasonable price. I hope it's not too little too late...the kids today, with their dull, cocooned cyber-existence, need to ride like no other generation. HEY, KIDS! There's this thing on the front wall...it swings inward. IT'S A DOOR. And outside there, there's this really bright ball of fire in the sky.

Now get out there, on this funny-looking thing with HONDA painted on it...and take it down the street! The funny looks you get...smile and wave! :biker:
 
When I was riding my Vespa GTS 250 i.e., I never got waves from anyone riding a Harley or a big touring bike. I did get waves from other scooters and people riding smaller bikes.

On my CB I seem to get waves from almost all riders. Usually the non-wavers seem busy in traffic or just tired of waving.

Riders and Boaters apparently have a lot in common. Waving is quite common on the water. But there also seems to be a pecking order. Sailors always wave at other sailors unless racing. Sailors usually wave at power boaters, but power boaters seem to rarely wave at sailors.
 
DC area, almost everyone waves. At least that is my experience. Most use the down-low finger thing, but I raise my left hand because an old shoulder injury makes that low deal hurt, especially at speed. To each their own, I say!
 
Thread starter
But for those of you with several bikes, do you find your CB gets left out of the wave parade? That's what I'm trying to understand.
 
I think the waving on my CB is about the same here in the midwest as it was on my ST1300 and my BMWs. I thought I would get more waves....oh well. If a person doesn't wave it is most likely a Harley rider. Especially those not wearing a helmet. Weird
 
Good point, JPT and one that I wanted to bring up, too. I can spot a Gold Wing and I can spot the BMW adv bike, but there are very few other bikes that I can ID from head-on. I can usually identify that a bike is a cruiser, sport bike, or sport tourer, but as to specific makes, I usually can't tell until I'm well past the waving point. I suppose I will get better at this as I ride more, but I am pretty sure that I'm fairly typical. Which means that the other rider probably doesn't know that I'm on a CB1100 until he's nearly next to me, which makes it hard for me to believe that he is singling me out for a wave (or lack thereof) just because of my bike.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Good point, JPT and one that I wanted to bring up, too. I can spot a Gold Wing and I can spot the BMW adv bike, but there are very few other bikes that I can ID from head-on. I can usually identify that a bike is a cruiser, sport bike, or sport tourer, but as to specific makes, I usually can't tell until I'm well past the waving point. I suppose I will get better at this as I ride more, but I am pretty sure that I'm fairly typical. Which means that the other rider probably doesn't know that I'm on a CB1100 until he's nearly next to me, which makes it hard for me to believe that he is singling me out for a wave (or lack thereof) just because of my bike.
:D

Years ago I had a Suzuki Burgman 650. Now, that's a big touring scooter - actually a sort of hybrid. Step-through frame; but the engine is frame-mounted. Gas tank is up high, under the pillion seat; and the transmission had an interesting pivoting-enclosed-belt transmission.

It was actually a very-competent ride. If you ever get a chance to test-ride one, try it, you'd be surprised.

Anyway...head-on, it looked like a faired-in sportbike. Especially with the winged Givi windshield I had. I'd get the waves from crotch-rockets...and it was funny to watch their faces fall as I'd get on top of them and they saw what it REALLY was.
 
I try to wave at everyone on 2 or 3 wheels. But My experience is similar to Lone Ranger's. While out on the K 1600 it seems everyone waves, including the Harley riders. The CB 1100 gets very few waves from Harley riders. None unless I wave first. I long ago stopped caring whether or not someone waves, but it is interesting. Some bikes just seem to generate more respect than others. Does the CB maybe look a little like a scooter from a distance until you get close, and it's too late?
 
When I lived in NC, in a heavy military area, EVERY RIDER waved. Those that didn't had clearly not been around long enough. You waved because you knew that other guy was not only a fellow rider, but likely a fellow veteran and brother. Now, up here in the frozen he** hole, hardly anyone waves. It sucks. Heck, I get more waves from the farming equipment rolling down the roads than I do from other riders. Also, the no helmet thing is clearly a factor. It's ATGATT for me. Uncle Sam says so, plus I'm not an idiot. These guys see me in a leather jacket and a full face helmet in the summer though and I'm not cool enough to wave to. It's okay though, I'll keep waving at them and hoping they aren't the next one I read about that died from severe head trauma when the weather warms up again.

Stay safe everyone. Rubber side down at all times.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
Thank you Nemo. I really like the US biker wave—left arm extended down. Can't do it here where we ride on the opposite side of the road.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thank you Nemo. I really like the US biker wave—left arm extended down. Can't do it here where we ride on the opposite side of the road.
Guess you Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis just have to waive the wave, 'cause otherwise you'd come unthrottled! :P
fritz
 
Most bike riders I see on the road wave and a lot of caters do too, I guess they are riders also. Some Pirates wave, some don't; I usually wave to everyone - no harm in being friendly.
In the mountains everyone, and I do mean everyone, waves. When I'm riding the Ural almost everyone waves and many give a thumbs up too. Once again, some Pirates ignore me - smart folks.

I always want to give the Pirates a bag of candy and compliment them on their outfit.
 
Back
Top