For those that like to ride fast

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since the start of the Covid pandemic a lot of states have seen excessive speeders and are starting to write "Super Speeder" bills.

Ohio wrote an unprecedented number of tickets for people going over 100 mph last year, although the majority of tickets written are for 10-15 mph over the posted limit. The Ohio Highway Patrol have a saying " Over 9... You're Mine ". The highest speed limit in the state is 70 mph.

Kentucky just introduced a Super Speeder bill and Ohio is considering one.

Super Speeders are considered anyone caught going 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit. Btw going 20 mph over in Ohio can also get you a Reckless Op ticket at the disgression of the LEO.

For super speeder tickets an addition $200 fine is levied on top of the regular fine. For Ohio the regular fine for 20 over is $171. Tack on super speeder status and 75 in a 55 zone will cost you nearly $400 plus court costs.

Tonight I read in Georgia super speeder status is applied to anyone going 85 mph or more on any road in the state, regardless of posted speed limit.

For those that insist they run 80 all day long, theyd better be careful where they are doing it. Could be costly. ;)
 
Here in Queensland, Australia, if you’re caught driving more than 40 km/h over the posted speed limit, you cop an automatic fine of AU$1,286, 8 demerit points and an automatic license suspension of 6 months.
 
In this province we have a "stunting law" which carries a fine of $2,400.00 for excessive speeding over the limit.
 
Something else to consider about speed. Two days ago my sister and her son were traveling on Route 95 here in CT. She said she was traveling at 70/75 keeping with the flow of traffic. The speed limit in the area she was in is 65 mph. ( Personally I cruise at 60/65 and let everyone blow by me. ) Anyway she was hit in the left rear by an suv she said had to be doing at least 90 mph. She was able to maintain control of her car while the suv just continued to drive away. Imagin this happening while riding your bike. Nuff said.
 
LouA_imp said:
Something else to consider about speed. Two days ago my sister and her son were traveling on Route 95 here in CT. She said she was traveling at 70/75 keeping with the flow of traffic. The speed limit in the area she was in is 65 mph. ( Personally I cruise at 60/65 and let everyone blow by me. ) Anyway she was hit in the left rear by an suv she said had to be doing at least 90 mph. She was able to maintain control of her car while the suv just continued to drive away. Imagin this happening while riding your bike. Nuff said.
Crap. :s


:dodgy:
 
As a resident of an Atlanta suburb with a divided 4 lane / 6 lane corridor posted 45, it is simply an unenforced suggestion. 10+ over is the constant traffic speed with frequent vehicles choosing to ride it as the autobahn. In the last few years I've witnessed many examples of drivers failing to follow simple traffic rules. Guess they feel it's acceptable to drive any way they wish since there's no threat of a police citation. I'm not in the category of "the need for speed", I'm in the category of not wanting to pay fines to anyone.

We also have the problem of cell phone attachment. This state has a no texting and driving law on the books yet drivers with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the phone is rampant. There's no enforcement of that law occurring either.

This is not nearly as bad as say driving in South Florida where it's everyone for themselves. I can say that since that's where I grew up and every visit provides more than a few "oh cuss did you see that" moments on the road.
 
I think that in addition to speeding, it comes down to how people view law enforcement. Since the "woke" movement and the idiots in DC that don't think that LEO's are credible humans, I'm sure this plays a part in it.

I recently got pulled over for doing about 75 in a 55 and was VERY respectful to the officer. I pulled over as soon as I saw him approach me, well before he even turned his lights on. I didn't argue with him or make excuses for anything.

Luckily, he just gave me a warning after verifying my MC endorsement, valid license and registration. The "Retired Air Force" plate always helps and I thanked him for his kindness and we parted ways.
 
Currently in the news here in CT is the story about a 37 year old guy who is legally blind in one eye, texting and arguing with his wife while driving. He drove over and killed a 14 year old girl who was walking with her 12 year old cousin. He is being held on a $200,000 bond while awaiting trial.
 
The best wisdom re: traffic and speed anybody can take to heart is this: traffic is at its absolute safest when everybody is traveling in the same direction at the same speed. Going fast isn't inherently the problem. The problem is going fast relative to everybody else, Which is often what people choose to do. Being on the road is an exercise in teamwork. Everybody has to agree on a speed and stick to it, or close to it, or it's chaos. What we have is chaos. Follow the flow folks. Don't treat traffic like a parking lot and dont park in front of traffic and we'll all be fine.
 
Here in NJ, a normal commute is 80mph- and by normal I mean right past state troopers sitting in the median. All day long, every day.

Keep an eye on your rearview though, and understand lane discipline. Slower traffic keep right- because probably 20% of the drivers are doing over 80 and will get right up on you if you don't get out of the left lane.

That's when they will move to the middle or right to get by- THAT is what causes the problems, not the speed.
 
Don't get me started. If you don't get run over doing 20mph over the speed limit here, someone will shoot you just for sport. Awhile back I was making a left turn in my pristine '03 Miata at a pretty good clip and a guy in a 20 ton gravel truck over took me and slammed into me 4 times before I could get away from him, stop the car and jump out and yell at him. His expression said "Where the he** did he come from?" Now I know that he couldn't see me once he was on top of me, but he had plenty of time to see me before he got up next to me. He had to be on his phone or looking at his shoes or something. Miata was totaled. If I'd been on a bike, I would be pushing up daisies now.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The best wisdom re: traffic and speed anybody can take to heart is this: traffic is at its absolute safest when everybody is traveling in the same direction at the same speed. Going fast isn't inherently the problem. The problem is going fast relative to everybody else, Which is often what people choose to do. Being on the road is an exercise in teamwork. Everybody has to agree on a speed and stick to it, or close to it, or it's chaos. What we have is chaos. Follow the flow folks. Don't treat traffic like a parking lot and dont park in front of traffic and we'll all be fine.
Well said, I agree completely
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The best wisdom re: traffic and speed anybody can take to heart is this: traffic is at its absolute safest when everybody is traveling in the same direction at the same speed. Going fast isn't inherently the problem. The problem is going fast relative to everybody else, Which is often what people choose to do. Being on the road is an exercise in teamwork. Everybody has to agree on a speed and stick to it, or close to it, or it's chaos. What we have is chaos. Follow the flow folks. Don't treat traffic like a parking lot and dont park in front of traffic and we'll all be fine.
It would be nice if they could agree, but if the speed limit is 65 with entrances and exits, there is no way that everyone is going to agree to run close to any particular speed. There will be those merging and exiting at 45-60, those running the speed limit at 65, those running +5 to 10 at 70-75 and those running 80 and above, so a spread of maybe 40-45 mph difference, and you are right it is chaos. But everyone is in a hurry these days and their needs are more important than everyone else's needs.

If everyone stuck within 5 mph of the speed limit there would be much less chaos

Ask any semi driver what it's like when people blast past him, swerve over and then nail the brakes so they can make the exit without slamming into the back of someone already slowing down in the exit.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The best wisdom re: traffic and speed anybody can take to heart is this: traffic is at its absolute safest when everybody is traveling in the same direction at the same speed. Going fast isn't inherently the problem. The problem is going fast relative to everybody else, Which is often what people choose to do. Being on the road is an exercise in teamwork. Everybody has to agree on a speed and stick to it, or close to it, or it's chaos. What we have is chaos. Follow the flow folks. Don't treat traffic like a parking lot and dont park in front of traffic and we'll all be fine.
MisterPro, this is perfectly correct on a speedway, but in a city, or a two lane highway with access roads or drive-ways feeding into it, at traffic lights and many other situations it is "absolute speed" paired with an unexpected event ... which kills.
 
Sparky80_imp said:
I think that in addition to speeding, it comes down to how people view law enforcement. Since the "woke" movement and the idiots in DC that don't think that LEO's are credible humans, I'm sure this plays a part in it.

I recently got pulled over for doing about 75 in a 55 and was VERY respectful to the officer. I pulled over as soon as I saw him approach me, well before he even turned his lights on. I didn't argue with him or make excuses for anything.

Luckily, he just gave me a warning after verifying my MC endorsement, valid license and registration. The "Retired Air Force" plate always helps and I thanked him for his kindness and we parted ways.
I hear that! I've been stopped a few times on PCH for being over the limit, but I learned how talk to LEOs years ago, and I have yet to get a ticket. The
VETERAN - U.S. ARMY licence plate frame on both bikes surely helped out.
 
Back
Top