For fun.. my progression of bikes!

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
First up, Yamaha TZR 50, my first bike in Japan. Not really knowing much about motorcycling, I got away with some pretty dangerous stuff on this little machine, and managed to keep the rubber side down. For example I had somebody pop out in front of me around a hard to see corner, jammed on the brakes (especially the rear because the front didn't work very well) and ended up totally sideways, but did not fall. Probably because the bike didn't weigh anymore than myself :)

3a72e92913038cbde3cae64b27d4a229.jpg


Second, I had a Yamaha XJR400. Unfortunately I made a rookie mistake and chopped the throttle and tapped the brake when I thought I was going a little too hot into a slight bend (I really wasn't going that fast though), and killed the bike :(

1ddac50959b74b8fa96ccfdb28150a2c.jpg


Next up, Yamaha SR400. I wish I could get another crack at riding this one now that I know a little more about how to ride... but it has too few cylinders, and drum brakes up front and in the back! That front drum brake was nasty. It would get extremely grabby after it had been raining or if I hadn't ridden for a while.
993fb37db910065ab5497861a862dc2e.jpg


Last but not least, my ride from last summer, when I was living in Sweden. I sold it not too long ago before moving to the US and picking up my CB. This was my first Honda, and man did I love it. When I rode it home last April I just about froze my ass off, I could barely stand by the time I got off the bike, but I had the biggest smile on my face. This bike was only sold in Sweden and only for the 1983 model year, but it was basically a Nighthawk 550 with slightly different bodywork. Great little bike! Almost as heavy as my CB, though, with much less torque and power.
78dd5bebf32a08af5b80efd20c7cc9ff.jpg
 
Diggin the white seat on that 600!
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Diggin the white seat on that 600!
The previous owner put that on!
The guy who bought it from me said he'd have to change it back to black, because in his country they do an inspection and it has to be stock in order to qualify for classic bike registry.


thumper, yeah I liked that XJR a lot, it looked and sounded pretty good. I had to replace the speedo and the rear suspension pretty much immediately. Then I got to ride it for all of three months before I wasted it :( I guess I really should have done XJR and SR400 in the opposite order!
 
Wow, those are some different bikes than we are used to seeing. Cool.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Diggin the white seat on that 600!
The previous owner put that on!
The guy who bought it from me said he'd have to change it back to black, because in his country they do an inspection and it has to be stock in order to qualify for classic bike registry.


thumper, yeah I liked that XJR a lot, it looked and sounded pretty good. I had to replace the speedo and the rear suspension pretty much immediately. Then I got to ride it for all of three months before I wasted it :( I guess I really should have done XJR and SR400 in the opposite order!
The previous owner put that on!
The guy who bought it from me said he'd have to change it back to black, because in his country they do an inspection and it has to be stock in order to qualify for classic bike registry.
I thought it might have been the skin of your ass when it froze off. Glad for you I was wrong.

Nice bikes.
 
Neat bikes! I envy you Europeans and wonder why we can't get those colors and configurations here.
Now I wanna to play too.
First ride: '69 Honda CB175 (my Dad's)


First bike: '93 Harley Sportster. 70,000 miles before it was stolen.


First Honda: '98 Honda Superhawk. 50,000 miles before it wore out.


Favorite bike: '00 Kawasaki W650 (on the left). 50,000 miles before bevel cam-drive wore out.


Current bikes: '02 ZX9R (My Goldwing), still going strong at 75,000 miles.


'02 EX500 (Dog Taxi), still going strongish at 37,000 miles. I had the exact same bike before and put 30+ miles before cartwheeling it into a curb (slipped on a manhole cover in the middle of a turn apex.)


Ex-bike: '05 KLR650. (Was hoping to explore Mexico with this, but the drug wars intensified and I sold it after about 6 months. Also never really liked that single cylinder with TWO noisy camchains.
 
Geez-louise, Mate!
Until I read your words, I thought you were just parked a little too close to a metermaids 3-wheeler!
Bet you could do some monster speedway powerslides on those car tires though. Heh.
 
Back
Top