FOBO tire pressure monitoring system report..

Thread starter
. NOT SO FAST !! .. it seems the low battery problem has reared it's ugly head once more.. this time I chose to replace the sensor with one that came off of my trike, but using the same battery that was in the troubled front sensor.. let us see what this adjustment will bring ..
.
372492b76e7c91d27d0e874132ddd5f8.jpg
..
4acbafa44790f8c4e48b2fbf95208604.jpg
 
I've been following this thread nominally. To be honest I'm not really interested in having these for myself but you detail things so well Chuck that I just enjoy reading your threads.

I do have one question though and please excuse me if it was already covered but I missed it. In these cell phone displays it shows the battery indicator and I am assuming the temperature in fahrenheit. Why are the temperatures always different?
 
Thread starter
you can set the app to read in fahrenheit or celsius.. it is tire temp.. I opened my garage door, exposing the front tire to the sun.. also I was handling the new sensor and installing the battery in it.. that is my guess as to why there is the difference ..the rear tire readings stayed the same..
you can see also, that I have lost just a little bit of air in the front tire as I swapped the sensors ..
 
it would drive me nuts worrying about my air pressure not reading right if I had that on my phone. Sometimes ignorance is bliss lol.
 
Thread starter
. fobo news.. to me anyway.. I have just noticed, the app now displays the batteries voltage.. nice.. no issues lately with the fobo.. knock wood..

..
893b5b5d8d017ae69efcf374f2ff31f5.jpg

..
b6e3eddb420a00fb1eda19a2d6e3b513.jpg

..
 
I may go buy these now, thanks to Chuck’s long-term test and reports thereof. Just go to Amazon or is there a better source?
 
Where did you get yours, Au2O3?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Where did you get yours, Au2O3?
AliExpress.

Note:

I was more interested in a dedicated display module that will just clip to my gear (e.g. a tank bag, sleeve, handlebar, dash, or similar), versus fiddling with a phone app while riding. I just want to glance at a display and be done with it. Who knows? Maybe the sensors will be detected by a generic tire inflation app. In any case, I want to know any events "soon", especially while zipping down the freeway.



(click on image)
 
Thread starter
if I am not mistaken, tire pressures should mainly be read when the tires are cold.. it is interesting to see how the pressures change though as the tires warm up.. so reading pressures before you leave and may be close to an air filler, sounds practical.. in either case these monitors are nice to have ..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
hi chuckk, CR2032/s come in packages of 5 here for about 2 bucks (and good quality), sometimes even down to 99ct, don't let them rip you off over there, okay ? If you can't find them and need 20+ packages, I'll mail 'em to you for free, as a sort of reward for your great test reports.

But I am confused about your description of airing the tires. Why would you wait for the slow FOBO to read the pressure, when all you need to do is read the gauge on the pressure suuply line ?
Cormanus_imp said:
It's really hard to send a text while you're riding if your phone is in your pocket. :-/
You're joking ? I saw a girl on a bicycle the other day, texting with one hand, open umbrella in the other, wearing glasses, a corona mask and wireless ear phones. Looked all quite masterly and natural.
peterbaron_imp said:
Not that I have a cure, ready answer for your problem or I question previous pre-diag by more experienced fellas in this matter...but a few things to consider:
* cheap or poorly design products usually draw more current or normality in your case
* your FOBOs constant communication with your cell means: slow and continuous discharge
* simply said: when the ambient temperature drops , the battery is able to last longer. When the temperature increases, the battery life shortens. I think, California climate delivers these two extremes almost daily, correct?
* before installing a new battery, check its voltage, as well when discarding it
* battery lifespan depends on its quality/manufacture + some other factors
* general rule is: if you buy 2 cheap, you pay twice for it = overpaid vs 1x good quality + no headache

** your FOBOs and batteries are constantly facing centrifugal force, spinning, shaky/twisty roads, brake pads dust falling on them, pistachio load/smell....so no wonder these wander, get brain damage and die prematurely :P
= surprise, surprise, here in Austria the life span of any battery decreases when temps go down (are you sure it's different in CA ?)
= my experience with lithium batteries / CR2032/s is that the price does absolutely NOT impact quality (while this is true for endless other products).

Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
so back to chuckk, DO NOT buy the best, buy and try the cheapest!!!!
 
j3gq_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
hi chuckk, CR2032/s come in packages of 5 here for about 2 bucks (and good quality), sometimes even down to 99ct, don't let them rip you off over there, okay ? If you can't find them and need 20+ packages, I'll mail 'em to you for free, as a sort of reward for your great test reports.

But I am confused about your description of airing the tires. Why would you wait for the slow FOBO to read the pressure, when all you need to do is read the gauge on the pressure suuply line ?
Cormanus_imp said:
It's really hard to send a text while you're riding if your phone is in your pocket. :-/
You're joking ? I saw a girl on a bicycle the other day, texting with one hand, open umbrella in the other, wearing glasses, a corona mask and wireless ear phones. Looked all quite masterly and natural.
peterbaron_imp said:
Not that I have a cure, ready answer for your problem or I question previous pre-diag by more experienced fellas in this matter...but a few things to consider:
* cheap or poorly design products usually draw more current or normality in your case
* your FOBOs constant communication with your cell means: slow and continuous discharge
* simply said: when the ambient temperature drops , the battery is able to last longer. When the temperature increases, the battery life shortens. I think, California climate delivers these two extremes almost daily, correct?
* before installing a new battery, check its voltage, as well when discarding it
* battery lifespan depends on its quality/manufacture + some other factors
* general rule is: if you buy 2 cheap, you pay twice for it = overpaid vs 1x good quality + no headache

** your FOBOs and batteries are constantly facing centrifugal force, spinning, shaky/twisty roads, brake pads dust falling on them, pistachio load/smell....so no wonder these wander, get brain damage and die prematurely :P
= surprise, surprise, here in Austria the life span of any battery decreases when temps go down (are you sure it's different in CA ?)
= my experience with lithium batteries / CR2032/s is that the price does absolutely NOT impact quality (while this is true for endless other products).

Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
so back to chuckk, DO NOT buy the best, buy and try the cheapest!!!!
You're joking ? I saw a girl on a bicycle the other day, texting with one hand, open umbrella in the other, wearing glasses, a corona mask and wireless ear phones. Looked all quite masterly and natural.
She was cheating. She didn't have the phone in her pocket.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
hi chuckk, CR2032/s come in packages of 5 here for about 2 bucks (and good quality), sometimes even down to 99ct, don't let them rip you off over there, okay ? If you can't find them and need 20+ packages, I'll mail 'em to you for free, as a sort of reward for your great test reports.

But I am confused about your description of airing the tires. Why would you wait for the slow FOBO to read the pressure, when all you need to do is read the gauge on the pressure suuply line ?
Cormanus_imp said:
It's really hard to send a text while you're riding if your phone is in your pocket. :-/
You're joking ? I saw a girl on a bicycle the other day, texting with one hand, open umbrella in the other, wearing glasses, a corona mask and wireless ear phones. Looked all quite masterly and natural.
peterbaron_imp said:
Not that I have a cure, ready answer for your problem or I question previous pre-diag by more experienced fellas in this matter...but a few things to consider:
* cheap or poorly design products usually draw more current or normality in your case
* your FOBOs constant communication with your cell means: slow and continuous discharge
* simply said: when the ambient temperature drops , the battery is able to last longer. When the temperature increases, the battery life shortens. I think, California climate delivers these two extremes almost daily, correct?
* before installing a new battery, check its voltage, as well when discarding it
* battery lifespan depends on its quality/manufacture + some other factors
* general rule is: if you buy 2 cheap, you pay twice for it = overpaid vs 1x good quality + no headache

** your FOBOs and batteries are constantly facing centrifugal force, spinning, shaky/twisty roads, brake pads dust falling on them, pistachio load/smell....so no wonder these wander, get brain damage and die prematurely :P
= surprise, surprise, here in Austria the life span of any battery decreases when temps go down (are you sure it's different in CA ?)
= my experience with lithium batteries / CR2032/s is that the price does absolutely NOT impact quality (while this is true for endless other products).

Chuckk_imp said:
feb 13th will be a full year on the $5. batteries.. I am hoping that I can make it !! .. if not, no big deal.. it's just kind of fun keeping track of things.. sometimes, when I first start out on a ride, the bike feels a little funny as far as handling.. it is really just me, getting myself back in the groove.. but my first thoughts are of my tire pressures.. I click back a few moments in time and remember the pressure check that I had just performed.. before my FOBO there was always a doubt on my pressures, simply because I didn't check pressures before every ride.. I feel it was one of the better gizmos I installed on my bike.. right next to sealing my spoked rims, allowing me to use tubeless tires..

chuckk ..
so back to chuckk, DO NOT buy the best, buy and try the cheapest!!!!
You're joking ? I saw a girl on a bicycle the other day, texting with one hand, open umbrella in the other, wearing glasses, a corona mask and wireless ear phones. Looked all quite masterly and natural.
She was cheating. She didn't have the phone in her pocket.
:excited:
 
Thread starter
. I do videos riding my c.b. with my phone in my mouth and talk at the same time.. does that count for anything ? ..
..
91f34f53b1611184a7aef35318e74e2a.jpg

..
 
Chuckk: That is such an interesting image.

I am imaging what is going through the head of a cager as you pull up next to them at a red light, turn your head slowly toward them, suggest a slight nod, rev the throttle, release the brake, lift the back heels, and wink one eye ...

;)
 
Chuckk_imp said:
. I do videos riding my c.b. with my phone in my mouth and talk at the same time.. does that count for anything ? ..
..
91f34f53b1611184a7aef35318e74e2a.jpg

..
It counts for sth, BUT only if you accept my offer to send you batteries ... ;)
 
I dunno why, but I thought of this:


 
Back
Top