Flat Tire I am Stumped!!!

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Guys,

I rode to work yesterday no problem. On my way home the bike had a mind of it's own. Steering got heavy and my back tire was drifting. I pulled over and sure enough I had a flat tire. Now My first instinct was crap I don't have a flat kit or a pump. Luckily my coworker spotted me and filled up my tire. I noticed it was a slow leak so I rode to my dealer (mile away) cautiously. I asked them to fix my tire and they said they do not patch or re-stem tires??? They said I'd have to buy a new tire. The only one they had in stock was $190 for a michelin extended life tire... No thanks. I checked my PSI and my tire was still full so i thought screw this I'll ride home and order a tire online. The dealer said 140-70-18 tires are hard to find and expensive.

Fast forward to today i checked my tire this morning and it's at 36psi. Last night it was 42psi. wtf when I left work it was completely flat. Should I buy a new tire or have someone re-stem it?? No noticeable holes or nails in the tire so think the the valve is the problem. I am stumped right now.
 
Maybe the core is loose? If you have a core tool, try tightening it up.

Most dealers won't plug a tire due to liability. Don't know why they wouldn't put a new stem in though. What if you wanted a angled valve stem put in? Like a lot of us have.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Maybe the core is loose? If you have a core tool, try tightening it up.

Most dealers won't plug a tire due to liability. Don't know why they wouldn't put a new stem in though. What if you wanted a angled valve stem put in? Like a lot of us have.
I don't have a core tool. Can you recommend one?
 
Not anything in particular. You can get them at auto parts stores. I have one with a handle, and a few that are like valve caps. For bicycles, I think. Screw on the valve stem and the other end is the core tool. Works on any Schrader valve though. And some are a 4 way tool. Google valve core tool and you can see them. They are cheap.

The tool this really just a little tube with a slot cut in it. Fits over the core and engages the shoulders, or whatever they are called and then screws it in or out.

The core has a rubber seal that can perish. You can buy valve cores at the auto parts place too and replace yours if desired
 
to check the stem, remove cap and put either a dab of spit or some dish soap mixed in water on it, if it blows a bubble it's leaking. If it doesn't there is another problem
 
I'd suggest dousing it with a spray bottle full of water and dish soap to find the leak rather than speculating. Might be a valve stem, might be something on the bead from when it was mounted, or a small puncture. Cheapest/only way to find the source.
 
Yeah, I picked up a nail recently. Dealer said due to insurance regs couldn't plug, only sell me a new tire. $20 bucks and a good six pack of beer to the mechanic and tire plugged - I had brought in the wheel.
Another bike I own eats schrader valves, no dea why. I carry a spare and have a bag of them at the house.

A tire pump is a good idea.
 
Depending how old your tire is, you may want to go ahead and replace it. Murphy says only new tires attract nails, so I assume yours is fairly new. If so, I'd find someone to plug/patch it. If it's ready for replacement, Chaparral Motosports (online) and Revzilla can sell you the tire you need. They're not hard to find.
 
My rear tire was punctured by a wood screw at approximately 6,000 kms ... proves that theory that only newish tyres with plenty of service life get punctured!! I used a tyre plug (the rubber mushroom variety not the sticky wick) to get me back on the road again with thoughts to immediately replace the tyre for all those safety reasons you hear about. Having ridden another 2,000 kms without any loss of air pressure I'm of the mind to just leave that tyre on. There are plenty of people who will swear by a plugged tyre and plenty who will advise you to get it replaced. Wondering if anyone has had experience with a rubber tyre plug go wrong??
 
Aussieflyer, I'm pretty sure we had a long discussion about it on here once. If I can find it, I'll post the link ...

Ah, try here ... Tire plugs??
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Aussieflyer, I'm pretty sure we had a long discussion about it on here once. If I can find it, I'll post the link ...

Ah, try here ... Tire plugs??
Thanks Cormanus. From those posts there's definitely strong opinions on both sides and no mention of any of the rubber mushroom plugs failing ... the lack of bad news is good news! I'll just keep on riding on it and see how it goes ... weather is getting cold so not much riding over the next 3 or 4 months anyway.
 
How's the bike going?
 
I've had motorcycle tires go suddenly flat from a harsh impact that temporarily breaks the bead and lets a lot of air out. Usually only happens off road for me though like when I hit a big rock.
 
Thread starter
Hey guys sorry I went on vacation and postpone fixing my tire turns out the valve is leaking I got a valve core tool from cycle gear I tighten the valve but it still leaking I think I might need to replace it. Where do you think I can get a new valve core for the stock Bridgestone tires I looked at cycle gear didn't have any not sure if I should put any old valve stem core into it or if I need a specific one for Bridgestone. I have today off so I'm gonna try to do it this weekend I haven't
 
Valve cores aren't specific to the tire or tire brand. Remove yours, take it to an auto parts store or the nearest Walmart and you'll be able to quickly match it up to a replacement. Screw the new one in and see if that solves your leak. Be sure to install the cap too. Good luck!
 
What LR said. Last time I bought one it came in a bag of 5 or 10 and was cheap. Now I have a lifetime supply :)
 
Some good posts here. Especially the simple soap/water assessment and checking the tyres valves at any local tyres store.

For what it's worth I had (touch wood) only 1 puncture I can recall (screw in the tread of rear) a few years back. The tyre was less than 50% worn from what I recall. I got it plugged and rode the tyres until it was on the wear markers and ready for replacement. No issues. I can't remember if it was on the OEM crossply tyres or radials but it worked for me as a daily ride (not setting any lap records).
 
Back
Top