Flash Tuning: How it Works!

Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
The days of jets and needles are gone!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thankfully! Only thing I miss is the smooth throttle response of a well-sorted bank of CV carbs. Most EFI bike just can't achieve this and it requires a different riding style in the corners, getting the throttle cracked before the apex of the turn and playing the rear brake a bit on some machines.
 
You guys who have persevered helping the rest of us understand the brave new world are to be thanked.

So .... :thanks::thanks:

Edit: In other words, what Pterodactyl said.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:

Strewth! What a ring tailed rannygazoo! Seriously you blokes, that is Mr Red Mist and his pardner Mr Spaceman, amaze me. Great information. There are some minor (and gentlemanly) differences of opinion that are, I suppose, to be expected, but for those of us who still have Whitworth spanners, grease guns, points files and feeler gauges in our tool boxes this is New World 101. Thank you.

Cheers
Damn man! You make me feel my age. I have all those in my tool box. Sheesh!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
You guys who have persevered helping the rest of us understand the brave new world are to be thanked.

So .... :thanks::thanks:

Edit: In other words, what Pterodactyl said.
My whole deal is just if I can pass on something that helps someone out, great. I have no dog in the hunt, I don't care to sell anyone on anything, but if somebody gets a tidbit of info here or there, that makes my day.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:

Strewth! What a ring tailed rannygazoo! Seriously you blokes, that is Mr Red Mist and his pardner Mr Spaceman, amaze me. Great information. There are some minor (and gentlemanly) differences of opinion that are, I suppose, to be expected, but for those of us who still have Whitworth spanners, grease guns, points files and feeler gauges in our tool boxes this is New World 101. Thank you.

Cheers
Damn man! You make me feel my age. I have all those in my tool box. Sheesh!

Tell me about it. I was rummaging through my toolbox the other day and came across my old dwell meter. I haven't seen a set of points in 15 yrs. Wonder if somebody on Ebay would want it :D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:

Strewth! What a ring tailed rannygazoo! Seriously you blokes, that is Mr Red Mist and his pardner Mr Spaceman, amaze me. Great information. There are some minor (and gentlemanly) differences of opinion that are, I suppose, to be expected, but for those of us who still have Whitworth spanners, grease guns, points files and feeler gauges in our tool boxes this is New World 101. Thank you.

Cheers
Damn man! You make me feel my age. I have all those in my tool box. Sheesh!

Tell me about it. I was rummaging through my toolbox the other day and came across my old dwell meter. I haven't seen a set of points in 15 yrs. Wonder if somebody on Ebay would want it :D

Tell me about it. I was rummaging through my toolbox the other day and came across my old dwell meter. I haven't seen a set of points in 15 yrs. Wonder if somebody on Ebay would want it :D
LOL! I have an old dwell meter too. And its been a lot longer than 15 years since I used it :D
 
Interesting video. Still waiting to see a company crack the ECU on the Cb1100 and change the speed limiter. Perhaps I missed something but I will stay "tuned" - no pun intended.
 
I still have my old dwell meter an timing light. Used it last year to help the retired col 2 houses down get his 64 corvair running again. No shop would work on it. Just shows sometimes it pays to save stuff.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
dailyrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:

Strewth! What a ring tailed rannygazoo! Seriously you blokes, that is Mr Red Mist and his pardner Mr Spaceman, amaze me. Great information. There are some minor (and gentlemanly) differences of opinion that are, I suppose, to be expected, but for those of us who still have Whitworth spanners, grease guns, points files and feeler gauges in our tool boxes this is New World 101. Thank you.

Cheers
Damn man! You make me feel my age. I have all those in my tool box. Sheesh!

Tell me about it. I was rummaging through my toolbox the other day and came across my old dwell meter. I haven't seen a set of points in 15 yrs. Wonder if somebody on Ebay would want it :D

Tell me about it. I was rummaging through my toolbox the other day and came across my old dwell meter. I haven't seen a set of points in 15 yrs. Wonder if somebody on Ebay would want it :D
LOL! I have an old dwell meter too. And its been a lot longer than 15 years since I used it :D

Dwell Meter? in my youth all done by eye and ear. Those were the days. The flying was dangerous and the sex was safe. Ah well, all irrelevant now.

Cheers
 
Red Mist_imp said:

Welcome to the omni-present world of embedded systems. Hopefully these subsystems never get a long range radio (e.g. Wi-fi) for remote access. That said, the trends for electric vehicles, including m/c's, get almost regular firmware upgrades for all kinds of reasons, including performance optimization, customization, security, and bug fixes. Hopefully the updates (i.e. "flashing" the firmware) are restricted to direct connect or short range bluetooth.

Manufacturers really have the ability to (and some might) exercise authenticated and secure sessions with vehicle firmware upgrades. I think Tesla uses best known methods. If done correctly (i.e. military strength session negotiations, which is not hard to do), third-party "tuners" of the future will never be able to re-tune vehicles of the day.
 
Back
Top