First Service

Hey Brazbro, get Cormanus to send you some Vegemite. Spread some on and those biscuits will be awesome! :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey Brazbro, get Cormanus to send you some Vegemite. Spread some on and those biscuits will be awesome! :)
My God, man, are you MAD?? :s

Vegemite is like our Marmite, I believe? I could no more desecrate a Digestive with Marmite than... er... turn a CB into a chopper!

Now, cheese-on-toast with Marmite/Vegemite and you're talking!! ;)

Dunking Digestives (in a cup of tea) is OK, but the BEST ones for dunking are Rich Tea biscuits... Rich tea - Wikipedia
 
Not following folks.

That said, I kinda prefer genuine cornbread or "grits" of the deep south U.S. However, and sadly, they are uncommon (maybe rare) in Canada.

I think Virginia is on the fringe of the "deep south", eh popgun?
 
Yeah, its pretty “South” here. LOTS of Civil War battles happened here.

The history here is amazing. At work, sometimes I’ll stand on the fantail of a carrier at the pier and look at the bay and wonder at the British warships that sailed by, the Monitor/Merrimac fight, and other historical happenings that occured not far off the end of the ship.

Oh, yeah, biscuits in the UK are not what we call biscuits in the US, or the South. And I’d rather have a Krispy Kreme. The creme filled chocolate covered ones. Oh baby!!
 
I use to prefer the Dunkin Donuts Chocolate eclairs when I could eat such things, or the plain cake doughnuts for dipping in my hot tea. Gluten free doughnuts are definitly not the same..and don't get me started on gluten free bread or buns. Just nasty. I've come to realize wheat is an amazing product. Do you know they even use it in a lot of candies? Twizzlers ( red vines) for example...and in Campbells soups...even tomato and creme of chicken.

Rejoice if you can still eat wheat products.
 
Now, "grits' is another matter...
Curious, I tried some at a breakfast stop in N.Carolina... ghastly!!
As has since been explained to me, they needed salt/sugar/honey or something to make them palatable. A shame the waitress didn't explain that me at the time.
 
Grits are good with a little butter and sugar. I learned to eat them when we moved to Florida in 1950 and they came with every meal, like french fries up north lol


Man did we hijack this thread. The good news is the original post is from June 2018, and I'm pretty sure the op has had his first service by now.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yeah, its pretty “South” here. LOTS of Civil War battles happened here.

The history here is amazing. At work, sometimes I’ll stand on the fantail of a carrier at the pier and look at the bay and wonder at the British warships that sailed by, the Monitor/Merrimac fight, and other historical happenings that occured not far off the end of the ship.

Oh, yeah, biscuits in the UK are not what we call biscuits in the US, or the South. And I’d rather have a Krispy Kreme. The creme filled chocolate covered ones. Oh baby!!
That sounds a great place, Popgun. I too can mentally "transport myself back" or imagine being in my surroundings centuries ago (some people can, some people can't) and we have a helluva lot of history here in the UK!

My home looks out over Torbay and I can see the two Napoleonic-era forts on the Berry Head headland (complete with cannons!) that are fascinating to visit - like the armoury and magazine, built with double walls, ventilated and with a weak roof so that it wouldn't destroy the fort if it blew up. Then there's the Dockyard at Portsmouth, that still has HMS Victory in dry dock there. Finally, all the Roman cities and towns, with Roman walls, foundations and streets...

If this sort of thing chimes with you, and it sounds as though it does, Popgun, you've just gotta visit the UK!

(Sorry for the "thread-hijacking"!!)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Grits are good with a little butter and sugar. I learned to eat them when we moved to Florida in 1950 and they came with every meal, like french fries up north lol


Man did we hijack this thread. The good news is the original post is from June 2018, and I'm pretty sure the op has had his first service by now.
Grits are a basic part of the food pyramid and are only properly eaten with an abundance of sweet cream butter, salt and coarse ground black pepper. The addition of cheese is acceptable. They are best enjoyed with fried fish and hush puppies or as a side with over-easy eggs and smoked sausage.
 
We have Hush Puppies shoes too, but the eatin kind are usually served with seafood in the South.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Grits are good with a little butter and sugar. I learned to eat them when we moved to Florida in 1950 and they came with every meal, like french fries up north lol


Man did we hijack this thread. The good news is the original post is from June 2018, and I'm pretty sure the op has had his first service by now.
"I'll have some hot buttered grits to go with that first service." :)

Ooooo, yeah baby!

(Did I say we don't get grits in Canada?)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
We have Hush Puppies shoes too, but the eatin kind are usually served with seafood in the South.
I call them onion balls


grits are an acquired taste. Like beer or alcohol. I ended up liking grits, but never acquired the taste for beer or alcohol.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Now, "grits' is another matter...
Curious, I tried some at a breakfast stop in N.Carolina... ghastly!!
As has since been explained to me, they needed salt/sugar/honey or something to make them palatable. A shame the waitress didn't explain that me at the time.
I do know what you say about grits , I could not eat it either , when the waitress told me that you have to put a lot of things on it to make it palatable I told her : if you put enough sweet things on dog poo you can make it palatable ! She just walked away ….
 
:D :D
Hush puppies are onion balls?
We have deep fried onion balls with Indian food - they're called "onion bhajis" and very tasty they are too! :)
 
They’re not onion balls. But has chopped onions in them. They are made of corn meal primarily. Its a batter, then deep fat fried. Crunchy on the outside and not crunchy on the inside. Usually shaped like t**ds.
 
Sounds tasty, irrespective of their turd-like appearance!!
Onion Bhajis are slices of onion in a paste and deep fried.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Sounds tasty, irrespective of their turd-like appearance!!
Onion Bhajis are slices of onion in a paste and deep fried.
Onion Bhajis - the orange/brown turd-like objects - yeah, they are incredibly amazing, especially with the coriander dip. Mmmm.
 
Back
Top