First post newbie: please be kind

CB100sidecar_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I love the 2017 CB1100 eX...looking to purchase first bike

whats a good price for used? ~$7K would be my comfort level
New old stock: will the price drop like it did for 2014 models?
when will new version come out/any news (2020 model)?

Seems like Honda only imports a few years and then stops (supply/demand), any reason?

These bikes are not plentiful on CL...is there a better place to look for used
This will be my first bike and I am 44 years old

Ultimately, I will be looking to add Cozy sidecar to this bike (Triumph)...love the classic look and feel.

Again, please be kind, I have search posts and I just wanted some questions answered if possible
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum
 
I would check out Cycle Trader. You can filter effectively and search nationally, and the sellers tend to be more reputable. But caveat emptor.

If you've never had a motorcycle or a motorcycle with a sidecar, you might want to get your motorcycle license and see if you can find any bike with a sidecar to test at a used bike dealer. I haven't ridden a hack but friends who have tell me it's not for the weak of body nor faint of heart. They're inherently unstable when turning in the direction of the sidecar at speed. I would recommend dedicated training on how to ride one safely.

Honestly, if I was considering a sidecar rig as my first bike, I'd buy bike that was already rigged and ready to go. Then I'd get that CB1100EX and keep it as a beautiful two-wheeler.
 
Welcome. I agree with Stichill on his recommendations. Problem is that while the CB may not be too uncommon in for sale adds one with a mounted side car sure will be. I only know of one and it’s a member on this forum who I believe did the work himself. Search the forum and you’ll see some pics of it. Very good looking set up. Good luck.
 
Welcome CB100sidecar. Like Stichill, I've never ridden a bike with sidecar, but to the best of my knowledge he's right about the inherent instability.

Frulk, early on there was another member, Buffalohead, who had a mate called mike who had a red CB1100 and sidecar. Here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1052

Buffalohead was determined to have one, but I don't know if he ever got there.
 
Welcome to the Forum CB100sidecar. Sounds like some wise advice from our Forum resident member Stichill. He won't say it, but I will: When not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
Welcome CB100!

Can’t help with the sidecar but there are some members with them on various bikes. Hopefully they chime in with some advice.
 
Welcome!

Sidecars, at least on some forums, can be as popular as oil threads. :D My two cents: as a new rider to motorcycles it my humble opinion that the CB500 or 300 would be a better machine to learn on. The CB1100 is easy to ride for sure, but I think most of us that came to that conclusion also have many years of riding experience behind us.

2nd; sidecar handling is VERY different from motorcycling - I think it adds a couple new ways the bike can kill you. They are not like cars or three wheelers either. So I recommend extreme caution there and find someone that has one to learn from. The school of hard knocks will work but the price could be steep.

I'll also plug a motorcycle riding school. I took one to get my endorsement back (cross country move, long story) and while I really didn't need the school to teach me the mechanics of riding; that all came back very quickly, but there were skills I didn't know I needed, mainly low speed manuvers that proved a boon. Classic case of you don't know what you don't know. Coaches are also useful in nipping bad habits in the bud - :D There is also a good chance one of the coaches will have sidecar experience too and you can pick their brains. Good luck!
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Every time I hear about sidecars I can’t help but think of the Andy Griffith episode when Barney Fife bought one...:D
Check Point Chickie! “If I let you do 40 today, you’ll do 45 tomorrow.”
One of my favorite episodes.

Welcome to the Forum. Everyone is kind.
 
"back in the day" I mounted Cozy sidecars on Royal Enfield Motorcycles, and on one Honda 750. I rode those a little to check alignment. Then a couple of years ago the bug bit me and I bought a Gold Wing with a California sidecar. I bought it sight unseen in Phoenix and rode it home to Minneapolis. I have since sold it, but plan to have another. Perhaps put one on my ST1100. They are a lot of fun. And riding one is COMPLETELY different from a motorcycle.

It was an exciting learning curve. The sidecar was improperly fastened to the bike causing changes to alignment in corners. That caused the rear tire to go completely bald in the 1700 miles on the way home. The moral of the story is: Before you buy a rig, or assemble one, check out sidecar.com. It is the home site for the United Side Car Association. They have a wealth of information. You will need access to information as you go through the process.

As a side note, I like the look of the DMC Classic side car and have thought of putting one on my '14 Standard CB1100. But the bike alone is so sweet it can't bring myself to do that.
Jim

It is on the opposite coast, but DMC Sidecars has bike side mounting hardware specifically for the CB1100.

Good luck with your project.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Every time I hear about sidecars I can’t help but think of the Andy Griffith episode when Barney Fife bought one...:D
That was a funny episode! Barney riding around like a BA and giving everyone tickets. And the cleaver way Andy nipped it in the bud was pretty funny. Loved that episode :thumbsup:
 
born2ride_imp said:
My owners manual for my 2017ex says not designed for a sidecar. Check warranty to make sure they will cover it.
Nearly every manufacturer will say that, and many dealers will abide by the policy and not honor your warranty. Adding a sidecar puts stresses on the frame the engineers did not plug into their calculators when designing the motorcycle.

There are a few exceptions to the observation. I attended a couple of sidecar association rallies and it seemed to me that most rigs were put together after the motorcycle's warranty period expired. It also give the engine a chance to break in before adding the extra strain.
Jim
 
Back
Top