First oil change

gary_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Did my first oil change last night at 240 miles. The manual says 4 quarts without removing the filter, which I didn't. I checked the oil cold on the center stand before draining. It was exactly at the full mark in the sight glass. Took her for a ride for about 30 minutes. Put it up on the center stand and drained the oil. The oil was very "thin", I usually put rotella 15w-40 in my bikes so I am used to the soupy stuff. This, comparatively, was like water.

I ended up putting the maxima break in 10w-30 in it which had a very similar viscosity to what I took out after it cooled down. The oil that came out looked good with a little bit of sheen swirled in there as expected.

Filling
As the engine cooled the oil dropped in the sight glass a bit so I topped it off. Filling the oil on the center stand and watching the sight glass I got 3.8 quarts back in before it reached the same mark as before once the engine was cool.

Something I noticed, there wasn't a crush washer on the bike from the factory. That is a first for me.

This is not intended to start another oil debate, just sharing my oil change for those out there that want to do it themselves but are nervous about levels. It not rocket science and as stated on the forum before, be consistent.




If this does start another oil debate. Sorry Ferret :(
 
Im doing mine right now Gary, although I'm doing the filter on mine as well at 476 miles. Will do an addendum for the How To section for the 14 models.

Strangely mine did not have a crush washer either, (although I'm putting one on it when I button it up). I thought maybe I dropped it in the oil although I was very careful as per my practice, because it wasn't on the bolt or the bottom of the motor, so I swam my hand around in the dirty oil looking for it, but it wasn't in there either. :huh:

EDIT: I just looked it up on the CB 1100 14 microfiche and it clearly calls for a 94109-1400 14 mm crush washer. Item 23 on the fiche below.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c1df870021404ec5a64/oil-pan-oil-pump

First for me as well.

Btw I held back 4 ounces out of my gallon, because when I did the 600 mile service with oil filter on my 13, a full gallon overfilled it a bit. I will put in the 3 qts 28 oz and chase the fill line like you did. Funny other guys have used the full 4.1 qts to hit full line.

Both filter and drain plug were pretty tight on this one, but not oil filter deforming tight.
 
Hiker...never tried one. Never saw the need. If I did see anything on it, it would just cause me needless worry. :dodgy:
 
darn, thought that was you who broke one off and had the dealer remove it.....must have been another who follows and uses torque specs.
 
Nope, wasn't me. I thought someone went in because they couldn't get theirs loose from the factory. Don't remember anyone breaking one off. The threads would strip in the cast oil pan before you could break off a 14 mm shank steel bolt.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
It was meowguy who broke a Dimple plug off.
I've done 8 changes on mine, no trouble at 22 ft lbs and they do catch metal.
Oil drain plug
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!

I have always done filters up hand tight on every vehicle I've worked on. Is that not best practice?
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
It was meowguy who broke a Dimple plug off.
I've done 8 changes on mine, no trouble at 22 ft lbs and they do catch metal.
Oil drain plug
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!

I have always done filters up hand tight on every vehicle I've worked on. Is that not best practice?
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket. Mine too came with a washer from the factory.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
It was meowguy who broke a Dimple plug off.
I've done 8 changes on mine, no trouble at 22 ft lbs and they do catch metal.
Oil drain plug
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!

I have always done filters up hand tight on every vehicle I've worked on. Is that not best practice?
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket. Mine too came with a washer from the factory.
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?

Also what's all this jazz with not changing the filter on the first one? Seems silly.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
It was meowguy who broke a Dimple plug off.
I've done 8 changes on mine, no trouble at 22 ft lbs and they do catch metal.
Oil drain plug
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!

I have always done filters up hand tight on every vehicle I've worked on. Is that not best practice?
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket. Mine too came with a washer from the factory.
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?

Also what's all this jazz with not changing the filter on the first one? Seems silly.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?
Sorry, all I'll say is I'm on HP4S now and next is Castrol Power RS 4T 5w-40 and that's saying to much.
Oil can be a very touchy subject I've noticed........:(
I always change the filter also.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
It was meowguy who broke a Dimple plug off.
I've done 8 changes on mine, no trouble at 22 ft lbs and they do catch metal.
Oil drain plug
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!

I have always done filters up hand tight on every vehicle I've worked on. Is that not best practice?
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket. Mine too came with a washer from the factory.
Crumbs, what mileage did you do those at? That's a lot of oil changes mate!
I only have 2800 on it now. I've tested multiple weights and brands. I do as hand tight as I can then give it a 1/4 turn with the socket.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?

Also what's all this jazz with not changing the filter on the first one? Seems silly.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?
Sorry, all I'll say is I'm on HP4S now and next is Castrol Power RS 4T 5w-40 and that's saying to much.
Oil can be a very touchy subject I've noticed........:(
I always change the filter also.
Could you give a summary of the services you've done, at what mileage and what oil you used and to what effect?
Sorry, all I'll say is I'm on HP4S now and next is Castrol Power RS 4T 5w-40 and that's saying to much.
Oil can be a very touchy subject I've noticed........:(
I always change the filter also. Ok thanks, can I just ask, is the Castrol motorcycle specific or can you use car oils?

Just I have a cuss of car oil I bought cheap. Most is either 10-40w semi synth or 5-30w fully synth.
 
I always change filter. The only draw back is about a quart stays in the motor only 4 quarts come out motor holds about. 5 quarts
Have not changed mine yet but will soon and I will check for washer ! I thought all new bike drain bolts where magnets.
Michael


3 rights make a left
 
This crush washer you guys speak of, is it a washer on the drain bolt? Or are you referring to something else? My drain bolt does not have a washer, should I stop by the dealer and pick one up?
Fleetwood.
 
Back
Top