First oil change question

geosar_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My "new" 2013 CB has 380 miles.

It sat on the dealer's floor for 2 years and has the factory oil in it.

I am headed for a 600 mile trip in two days. The oil in the sight glass looks clear.

Should I change my oil in anticipation of passing 600 miles this week, realizing that the oil has been in the bike for 2 years? Or should I just change it when I return home a little over 600 miles.

I appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Thank you

Headed to the white mountains.

George
 
Leave it there. Change it on return. The oil hasn't "gone off" in two years.

At the risk of starting another oil thread I would recommend, when the time comes, that you replace the oil with Dr Dactyl's Hubris Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil (the Only Oil for the Gentleman Motorcyclist). Unfortunately it is not possible for you as the U.S. Dept of Justice has just embargoed this product.

Cheers
 
An oil thread! I love these! :) I won't use Dr. Dactyl's Hubris Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil since I read about it's not 100% synthetic and contains mostly hubris. Plus I'm not a gentleman.
 
Thread starter
Now, this is a specific question about a one-time event in the hopefully long life of me and my bike.

No thread. No thread
 
900 miles on the break in oil shouldn't be a problem. Two suggestions:

1. Make sure there is oil in the bike and that you can see it in the sight glass.

2. If you are concerned why don't you plan to ride by a Honda dealer, or any certified motorcycle shop, at about the 600 mile mark. Give or take 50 - 100 miles. Call ahead and arrange a time for a filter and oil change. 30 minutes later you should be on your way. The remainder of the service can await you return home.

Cheers and enjoy those White Mountains
 
Your bike will be fine either way but personally I would change it out. The oil is probably still good for lubrication but it's also likely full of metal shavings from the engine breaking in over the first 380 miles. I did the first oil change on my bike at 200 miles and noticed the engine running a good bit smoother afterwards. Couldn't hurt to do it before a long ride. :)
 
Thread starter
I changed the oil and filter.

Thank you for the advice. And I got to buy more things-another filter wrench and a measuring funnel.

Thanks again to Ferret for the "How To" section on the 600 mile tune up and his packing tutorial. Ready for tomorrow.

George
 
Since you changed it (early) I'll recommend that you do it again at around 1000 miles because she is still breaking in. Modern engines won't have the metal shavings in the oil like the good ol' days back in the 70's and 80's.

The bike also needs a lot of rpm changes and load changes during this break in. Occasional trips to red line (or there abouts) is OK, staying at one rpm range for long periods of time is not. Try to go through the gears, up and down, as much as possible. If you are stuck on the freeway try to vary your speed from high 60's to mid 80's (pretend you are a newbie with no idea about throttle control). This will properly seat your rings.

In general, you are better off extending the first oil change vs. doing it early. So it gets properly broken in.

and enjoy before the heat sets in!
 
Thread starter
The next 700 miles will be vigorous. White mountains, no freeways and lots of RPM changes.

I had planned to change the oil about that time but thank you for the advice.

See? No oil thread!!

Just a totally enjoyable solution to my question.
 
You lucky dog! Do keep an eye out for elk. My wife works for Game & Fish, works with the biologists that collar them and I always get the lecture when I'm up there about the elk. It's bad when a car and an elk collide. Much worse for a motorcyclist.

So now I get to pass it on. :angel:
 
What oil did you put in it? :angel:
 
Thread starter
I have been using Rotella synthetic in all of my bikes since I bought my 2005 Wee-Strom.

That being said, I used Honda 10W30 with a Honda filter based solely on the recommendation of the fellows on this forum.

I see what's happening. Trying to turn this into an oil thread, eh?
 
He's on to you Cormanus!
 
Yep. Picked me like a nose. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top