First oil change, first problem (or two)

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
Backing out of the parking spot at the Grotto this morning she seemed a bit hard to push. Didn't think much of it so I continued home.

Fixed a pinched oil line on the 650L so I was feeling my oats and decided to change the oil on the CB since I had 590 miles on her. All went well until I tried to remove the oil filter. I could get the filter wrench on it but once loosened there was no room between the wrench/filter and the headers so it was pipe wrench time. Got that sucker off. :)

New filter and oil installed so I checked the chain and spun the rear wheel. Grinding noises! Rear pads, perhaps more the inside one, was binding on the disc. Looked closer and the black paint had been cooked off the disk. :(

Looks like a warranty visit.

Never had this problem before so I"m not sure how to trouble shoot. Nothing in the shop manual about it. I'd tear into the caliper if it was off warranty but since it's not; I'll let the Honda boys have a look see at it.
 
Either the caliper is not installed properly, or the piston is sticking in it's cylinder. Either way I'd take it to the shop and let them deal with it too.

Do you have an ABS bike?
 
The rear has one piston and has to float freely on the pins that it hangs on. That inboard pad moves with the caliper frame and if the caliper sticks on the pins, the inner can't move away from the rotor when the brake us released. If its not stuck you could move the whole caliper a small amount with your hand in a direction towards the rotor and away from the rotor.

its warranty and you shouldn't have to fix it yourself.
 
Thread starter
Non-ABS. Actuating the brake pedal I see movement on the caliper. But I suspect not nearly enough. At this point I'll wiggle my nose and have it magically fixed. :)

Sometime this week I have to remove my rear pads on the Griso so I can have the shop replace those (oil contamination from a otiker clamp that was not pinched) so both street bikes will be down due to rear brake issues. Oiy!
 
Thread starter
It's at the dealers now. We'll see how it goes. Can't say I'm real encouraged by their attitude but it has always (on the service side) been a bit problematic.
 
it sucks when dealerships act stupid about warranty work. They're getting well paid by the manufacturer for it. It's not like they're doing you a favor.

If its really bad, I'd take the time to talk to the management about it. We had a terrible service manager at the HD dealership I worked in, but few customers complained because they were worried about pissing Bill off and thgetting even worse service. It finally got to the owners attention and he replaced the guy.
 
Thread starter
I'll just take to another dealer that is abit further away but I now the service manage (rebuilt my 650L on the side). The manager was there when I dropped it off; I simply told him that they would do me right, it was expected. We shall see.

Got a late call yesterday; they had looked at it without tearing into it. They need to take it apart and call Honda about it.
 
Thread starter
They talked to Honda, Honda is not aware of a similar problems in the field and suspect the swing arm or the caliper casting (or both but what are the odds of That!) are out of spec. They expect a call back from Honda this afternoon (I'm assuming photo's were taken - sure beats the old days when the Honda rep had to stop by for a look see).
 
Thread starter
Still waiting for Honda to decide what to do. I was able to compare my bike to a new one on the floor and can see at least part of the problem. The casting that the caliper pins are attached to, the main caliper casting rubs the disc at the inner most edge. Very very odd.

Now the disc still has scoring on the disc like the rivets from the pads (but they seem to have some meat to them).
 
Thread starter
Dealer called today and said Honda is going to replace the rotor (brake disc) saying it is warped. Well the part that is rubbing is on the inner edge where all the fasteners are, how in the hell can it warp there?

Oh well, we'll see what happens when they bolt up the new part. But I'm pretty skeptical.
 
Thread starter
Not to my knowledge. I have not removed it (590 miles so no need to, at least I've never had a reason to until this happened and I don't expect to have a reason until the tire needs changing).
 
Hello fellow bikers.I couldn't resist when I first heard of the CB1100.
I usually keep 2 bikes.I've wanted a new bike since my M109 is
got boring and developed a bad fuel leak and the closest dealer has it in for me.
So it's just sitting in the garage.I also own a Honda Rune { 2004 model that
I got in july of 2003 }.I'm gonna keep it.Best Bike I ever owned by a
country mile.
The CB1100 has one of those glass sight windows for oil checking.
I've only had one bike with that.It was a Kawasaki Nomad which was a total
piece of crap bike.I kept it for about 6 months and traded in for a Honda
Valkyrie Tourer model.Put around 11,ooo miles on it and traded in for the Rune.
I was upset after checking the oil when I had around 60 miles on the CB1100.
Plus the bike had new bike smells.Kinda noticeable.I've never had that before
on a bike.The glass sight gauge was full.I rechecked again after proper warm
up { all Honda are basically 3 minutes On and 2 minutes off }.The sight glass was
still full.I called the dealer and asked if he knew how much oil was added at
set-up and also if he checked the oil sight gauge to be sure.He kinda said he did.
I told him If I had to I was gonna drain the oil out and see exactly how much oil was
in it.If it was a full quart over or not.Because that sight glass is worthless if it can't
determine the level of oil in a bike.
Any thoughts on the accuracy of the bikes glass oil sight indicator {gauge}.
 
Thread starter
I added what was supposed to be the amount plus extra if you change the filter; sight window was full. But; it was at the low mark when I first checked, added about 2/10's of a quart and she over shot. Did not expect that! After running a bit it seemed to settle a bit but not much.
Forgot to add, the oil level from the dealer was almost to the top line and it stayed there every time I checked.
 
I added the exact amount of oil that the service manual calls for with the filter change. With the 3 on and 2 off I was right at the upper line. This is after letting the bike sit overnight with the drain plug and filter off. Another 1 hour on the side stand after that.
Yes, I'm anal.
 
_imp said:
Hello fellow bikers.I couldn't resist when I first heard of the CB1100.
I usually keep 2 bikes.I've wanted a new bike since my M109 is
got boring and developed a bad fuel leak and the closest dealer has it in for me.
So it's just sitting in the garage.I also own a Honda Rune { 2004 model that
I got in july of 2003 }.I'm gonna keep it.Best Bike I ever owned by a
country mile.
The CB1100 has one of those glass sight windows for oil checking.
I've only had one bike with that.It was a Kawasaki Nomad which was a total
piece of crap bike.I kept it for about 6 months and traded in for a Honda
Valkyrie Tourer model.Put around 11,ooo miles on it and traded in for the Rune.
I was upset after checking the oil when I had around 60 miles on the CB1100.
Plus the bike had new bike smells.Kinda noticeable.I've never had that before
on a bike.The glass sight gauge was full.I rechecked again after proper warm
up { all Honda are basically 3 minutes On and 2 minutes off }.The sight glass was
still full.I called the dealer and asked if he knew how much oil was added at
set-up and also if he checked the oil sight gauge to be sure.He kinda said he did.
I told him If I had to I was gonna drain the oil out and see exactly how much oil was
in it.If it was a full quart over or not.Because that sight glass is worthless if it can't
determine the level of oil in a bike.
Any thoughts on the accuracy of the bikes glass oil sight indicator {gauge}.
Mine was the same way with the break-in oil, I could not see the level. When I changed the oil at the 600 miles service, I can see the level clearly now. I assumed it came over full from the factory. I would not worry about it unless you see oil on your floor or oil leaks.
I put 4 qt. and changed the filter and when she's on the center stand it's dead on the top line showing full. if it gets low you will be able to see it. I kept a check on mine and could never find the level until I change the oil.:)
 
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
_imp said:
Hello fellow bikers.I couldn't resist when I first heard of the CB1100.
I usually keep 2 bikes.I've wanted a new bike since my M109 is
got boring and developed a bad fuel leak and the closest dealer has it in for me.
So it's just sitting in the garage.I also own a Honda Rune { 2004 model that
I got in july of 2003 }.I'm gonna keep it.Best Bike I ever owned by a
country mile.
The CB1100 has one of those glass sight windows for oil checking.
I've only had one bike with that.It was a Kawasaki Nomad which was a total
piece of crap bike.I kept it for about 6 months and traded in for a Honda
Valkyrie Tourer model.Put around 11,ooo miles on it and traded in for the Rune.
I was upset after checking the oil when I had around 60 miles on the CB1100.
Plus the bike had new bike smells.Kinda noticeable.I've never had that before
on a bike.The glass sight gauge was full.I rechecked again after proper warm
up { all Honda are basically 3 minutes On and 2 minutes off }.The sight glass was
still full.I called the dealer and asked if he knew how much oil was added at
set-up and also if he checked the oil sight gauge to be sure.He kinda said he did.
I told him If I had to I was gonna drain the oil out and see exactly how much oil was
in it.If it was a full quart over or not.Because that sight glass is worthless if it can't
determine the level of oil in a bike.
Any thoughts on the accuracy of the bikes glass oil sight indicator {gauge}.
Mine was the same way with the break-in oil, I could not see the level. When I changed the oil at the 600 miles service, I can see the level clearly now. I assumed it came over full from the factory. I would not worry about it unless you see oil on your floor or oil leaks.
I put 4 qt. and changed the filter and when she's on the center stand it's dead on the top line showing full. if it gets low you will be able to see it. I kept a check on mine and could never find the level until I change the oil.:)
Mine was the same way with the break-in oil, I could not see the level. When I changed the oil at the 600 miles service, I can see the level clearly now. I assumed it came over full from the factory. I would not worry about it unless you see oil on your floor or oil leaks.
I put 4 qt. and changed the filter and when she's on the center stand it's dead on the top line showing full. if it gets low you will be able to see it. I kept a check on mine and could never find the level until I change the oil.:)
Well being an owner of an original VTX 1800 and then the Rune
I think Honda was pretty good about oil accuracy.Except on my
Rune,the dealer did add a quart TOO much.I asked about it
after about 500 miles because the shifting was kinda slippery.The
Dealer acted like Oh Well.Then at 1,ooo miles I was plain sick & tired
of the best dipstick on a Motorcycle { The Rune has a precision machined stainless steel dipstick } the level was still way over the
2nd mark as in Overfilled.I went to my Harley buddies garage and we drained the fluid carefully and got exactly 10 pints.meaning it was
ONE quart overfilled.Honda does bench test most all Goldwings engines at the famous Maryvilles plant in Ohio.
Meaning they also have a habit of shipping those engines to dealers
with about a quart of oil still in them.
When an engine is ONE Quart over it may foam.That is not Goot.
But a Honda Rep,assured me not to worry.Still a quart over can
be worse than a quart under.
I think that may be the case with my New { 5 weeks ago } Honda CB.It was Over filled.A little more than a half quart over.
The First thing I checked after buying the bike and driving home
{ about 60 miles } was the Tire pressure.It was off.About 5-6 psi
in each tire.That is why I decided to check the oil,first thing the next
day.I gotta tell ya'all ... Dealers Service dept. cannot be trusted.
It is my experience that Service Mngrs./ are in cahoots with the
Dealership management and owners.
Speaking of Tool kits and where are they.My Rune tool kit was
never on the bike.I just let it go.Which eventually caused me to
distrust my Honda dealer.I bought the very First Rune in Kentucky
in Elizabethtown.They even took pictures for the local paper as to
help in promotion.
Live and learn.
 
I bought a new Harley Sportster a couple years ago and it had at most one quart in it. Checked it with 20 miles on it because of what I thought was valve noise. Not happy. Called Harley and they said it would be OK but they put a "note" on the thing saying if a problem developed down the road they'd cover it. I didn't like that particular bike and sold in with less the 2000 miles on it. I Like my 2012 it has a rubber mounted engine and a fat front tire which transformed the ride and feel of that motorcycle.

The Rune is an interesting bike. Seems like there are lots of them sold with almost no miles on them. They are impressive looking machines and I've been temped a time or two. Big bikes however and I guess that's what has stopped me. Collectors item for sure.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I bought a new Harley Sportster a couple years ago and it had at most one quart in it. Checked it with 20 miles on it because of what I thought was valve noise. Not happy. Called Harley and they said it would be OK but they put a "note" on the thing saying if a problem developed down the road they'd cover it. I didn't like that particular bike and sold in with less the 2000 miles on it. I Like my 2012 it has a rubber mounted engine and a fat front tire which transformed the ride and feel of that motorcycle.

The Rune is an interesting bike. Seems like there are lots of them sold with almost no miles on them. They are impressive looking machines and I've been temped a time or two. Big bikes however and I guess that's what has stopped me. Collectors item for sure.
Trust me ... you won't find one.Honda made I think One Thousand
in 2 production years.I have never in 10 years pulled up next to
a Rune.Maybe once a summer I'll catch a glimpse of one going the
opposite way on the Interstate.I have appx. 23,000 miles on a bike
I took delievery of on the last day of July in 2003.As a 2004 Model.
I don't go to big Bike events.Like Daytona or Sturgis.That is where
you'll see Runes.The dealer I bought my CB 1100 at is a different
dealer than the one in my neighborhood where I bought a VTX 1800
and the Rune.The CB Dealer in Louisville rarely sees any Rune.
I don't think they ever got one.Honda was supposed to make sure
every Honda dealer got at least one Rune.My Dealer got 3 Rune.
Plus before that Dealer went out of business they had 2 used Rune
on their sales floor.
 
Back
Top