Ferret gets a new ride

KiowaEagle_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Everybody I’ve known or met that had hip replacement said they wish they had done it 5 years sooner.
I had a previous neighbor that was an orthopedic surgeon and he told me never to get surgery unless you can’t stand the pain anymore. I’m no where near that point although I can see the path ahead. I can wait.
I had a previous neighbor who was an orthopedic surgeon. He told me he became an orthopedic surgeon because he gets to use power tools on people. :-/
 
Roper_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Everybody I’ve known or met that had hip replacement said they wish they had done it 5 years sooner.
I had a previous neighbor that was an orthopedic surgeon and he told me never to get surgery unless you can’t stand the pain anymore. I’m no where near that point although I can see the path ahead. I can wait.
I had a previous neighbor who was an orthopedic surgeon. He told me he became an orthopedic surgeon because he gets to use power tools on people. :-/
And that was the exact moment you realized you were moving? lol
 
I agree with having it only to get out of pain....as crazy as it sounds....if that is the goal....walking again is a bonus.

I had my hip surgery March 2014, got my CB in April, rode it at my first rally in May 2014....but it was 2 years before I'd say I had full use of that hip, 3 years before I never felt any any twinges of pain. Now after 4 years it's my good hip....but I dread getting the other one done some day. Yes I'm glad I had it done, got me out of constant pain, but the recovery was a lot longer than I expected.

They say knees are worse than hips.....I don't envy anyone having go through that ...but if getting out of pain is the goal...it becomes an easy call....No one wants to live in constant pain.

As my doctor said, 'you'll tell me when you're ready' meaning you'll tell me when you just can't stand the pain any longer.
 
Thread starter
Well I'm having a reaction to the Visco. KNee is swollen, hot, stiff and I'm in a lot of pain. Called Ortho docs office and they are calling in a dose pack for me to take. Brand new motorcycle sitting there in the garage I can't ride. As if the colitis wasn't depressing enough lol.
 
Had my left knee replaced in 2010. Had no issues since having it done and hasn't kept me from being active. Ever since I've had it done though I have strapped on a metal hinge knee brace whenever I ride the motorcycle or bicycle. For me it's Lionel with his security blanket. I'm just trying to limit any issues I could have tweaking the knee. Wondered if anyone else did the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
The knee surgeon I saw—yes, this bloke has specialised in knees for 20 years or so—told me that for 4 to 6 weeks after the operation I'd hate him and wonder why I'd made the decision to go ahead. A friend of my wife suffered considerably for some time after the surgery. In other words, although they get you up and moving quickly, it is not a pain-free procedure from which you recover quickly. Some months down the track, my wife's friend is very happy with how it went.

The other thing the surgeon told me is that recent research has shown that the replacement is likely to last a great deal longer if the patient is over 55 at the time of the surgery.
 
Make a long story short....will need knee replacement due to bad motorcycle accident when 17, double thigh fracture, knee destruction and an 8 month bone/tissue infection, 4 operations to L knee.....not all surgeons/doctors are the same or good.

Took physiotherapy, Synvisc knee injection (some help in my case) and lately platelets injection to my L knee = what a difference
Platelets are small, colorless cell fragments present in your blood.
Your collected blood sample goes through a rapid spinning process that separates and concentrates the platelets+ some other factors from your blood. That magic yellow substance is then injected into your knee. The entire process takes max 30 min.
it is called PRP = Platelet-Rich-Plasma...not covered by insurance in Canada. Single injection costs me C$600 ca$h.
My personal observations after first PRP treatment: next day pain reduced by about 40% and some additional pain relief within next few weeks. The 2-nd PRP had done after 2 months, and am now mid term before 3-rd one by the end of September. PRP helps me a lot...the bottom line in my case = will need knee replacement (complicated/higher risk) = mostly due to too much wear and lacking knee parallelism that causes pain as well. I only take pain killer 1-2 x a week and my legs/knees are very physically active.
Need more info, ask, will send link. Perhaps PRP will help others as well.
I do NOT advertise anything or any doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and less knee pain to everyone.

:beerchug:

pb

P.S Just to make sure that everyone understand = will :biker: after knee replacement...and I do not run any medical clinic at all :rofl:
 
Thread starter
My Givi XS 307 15 L tanklock tank bag and mounting bracket came in for the FJR today and a Canyon Dancer strap for the handlebars while towing so as not to hurt the plastic

I then ordered a Givi 47 liter Top case -Tech and SR 357 mounting bracket for it. Trunk is on back order until mid July.

too bad I can't ride lol

On another knee note.. my wife had both of her knees at the same time. The surgeon recommended it to her saying if she just had one done, she would NEVER have the second one done lol. Got to tell you, that was an ordeal.
 
That's a mighty top case, Ferret! I wonder, given the shape of the GIVI, whether it's actually as useful as the aluminium case Frulk has on his bike?
 
For anyone having hip or knee replacement I highly recommend getting a power lift/recliner chair (strangely my Dr didn't recommend).

You can get a cheap one at Sam's club for about $500.

I lived and slept in one for the first week or two. I can't imagine doing it without one. Lifts you straight into your awaiting walker. No surprises or sudden movements!

I liked it so much I still use it as a recliner LOL.

If I was smart, as much time as I sit in one at night... I'd go get one of the fancy ones with many setting like TV, zero gravity, independent head and foot control....about $1500 at my local medical equipment store. But I'm not smart so I go buy a new motorcycle instead ;-)
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
That's a mighty top case, Ferret! I wonder, given the shape of the GIVI, whether it's actually as useful as the aluminium case Frulk has on his bike?

Probably not Cormanus but I dont put much in a top case, rain suit and air tight over shirt for under my jacket, owners manual and some paper maps. I use the tank bag more, but my wife likes a box back there to make her feel more secure and the lines match the bike nicely. She can lock her helmet in there if we go into a resaurant, and her jacket in one of the side bags (I wear my jacket in and lock my helmet to the back with a Helmet Guardian)
 
Thread starter
Hobbled out with a cane, and installed the Givi tanklock bag yesterday. Today I was able to bend my knee a little without too much pain so figured I'd try riding the "little" bike. Got dressed and leaving the cane in the house walked out to the garage and rolled the CB 1100 out. Stood on left peg and swung my leg over without too much difficulty so I fired it up and took off. Rode 33 miles. Only issue I had was some pain lowering right leg to ground at a stop. (84 degree hip and 88 degrees knee angle according to cycle -ergo.com)

When I got home I figured, what the heck.... lets try the big one. So I rolled out the FJR climbed on the same way and fired it up and took off. The higher, more rearward pegs (82 degree hip and 92 degree knee angles according to cycle-ergo.com) made riding a little more difficult but not overly so. Rode it 36 miles. Stopped and took this pic down by the local power plant. Felt great to ride after not riding for 5 days. Go back to ortho doc Tuesday for a consultation.

cff80358c3f113504aa79a449efb03ac.jpg
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Good looking motorcycle....hope you put 100,000 on this one too!
+1
 
Higher numbers on cycle-ergos means more relaxed ergos. The higher number on the Yamaha means your knees are less bent than on the CB1100...but slightly more squat on the hips
 
Good on ya Mr. Ferret!!

Please post up some pics when you get your top box. I have the Givi E55 on my ST and would like to see the FJR with your new one.
 
When I had my knee surgeries I would bungee cord my cane to my sissy bar, I'm now thinking that a folding cane is a better, faster option. Just fold it and throw it in the top case or in your case Ferret, you have your tank bag which is even better as you can access it before even getting off your bike.
 
Glad your out and about Ferret and that is a fine looking Yamaha ,
would even trade you a brand new Goldwing Valkyrie for it :cool:
 
Thread starter
DaSwami_imp said:
Higher numbers on cycle-ergos means more relaxed ergos. The higher number on the Yamaha means your knees are less bent than on the CB1100...but slightly more squat on the hips

Oops you are right DaSwami. Sure doesnt feel that way though lol. The CB feels much more relaxed than the FJR.
 
So, Ferret, the way your DLX and FJR are equipped with, which would you take for a longer 1-3 day run, and which one for daily runs ..... or the bottom line: which one you love more:P ?

:thanks:

pb
 
Back
Top