ferret down

Wow so sorry this happened!

Hope you heal up fast with as little as pain as possible!

I've often thought when riding by myself and decide to quickly make a turn into a parking lot, road side etc.... I'm sure glad no one is riding with me they sure wouldn't be happy with me.

I've almost decided I need to ride like I'm driving a car pulling a trailer and be very careful where I pull off and where I try to turn around etc.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry to hear this- especially heading into a great time of year to ride.

Lets all hope they overestimated the damage and recovery time will be short and painless after a few days.

You never know when something silly will bite you- I 'stubbed' my toe going up my stairs one morning to get ready for work. Hurt- but I got dressed and went to work.

Knew it was sore- but when I got home that night and took my sock off- my big toe was completely dark purple, swollen like a sausage and the purple was up into the main section of my foot a good ways. I guess it didn't appreciate being my clutch foot!! My wife immediately took me to the ER and I thought they were going to cut it off. They had me in a room and a LOT of workers kept coming in to see it. Ugh.

Last week my brother in law who lives in florida caught the edge of a curb and fell off his golf cart driving down the sidewalk in his community. Stopped the fall with his face, broke his hand and several ribs. He is still on some hard drugs for pain.

Did your jacket have elbow armor? I know it can only do so much, which is why I am curious.

Hope you heal up quick and are rolling soon!!!
So, you wrote this and went out and crashed your bike? Man, that sucks my friend! Please keep us posted on your status! Both of you!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry to hear this- especially heading into a great time of year to ride.

Lets all hope they overestimated the damage and recovery time will be short and painless after a few days.

You never know when something silly will bite you- I 'stubbed' my toe going up my stairs one morning to get ready for work. Hurt- but I got dressed and went to work.

Knew it was sore- but when I got home that night and took my sock off- my big toe was completely dark purple, swollen like a sausage and the purple was up into the main section of my foot a good ways. I guess it didn't appreciate being my clutch foot!! My wife immediately took me to the ER and I thought they were going to cut it off. They had me in a room and a LOT of workers kept coming in to see it. Ugh.

Last week my brother in law who lives in florida caught the edge of a curb and fell off his golf cart driving down the sidewalk in his community. Stopped the fall with his face, broke his hand and several ribs. He is still on some hard drugs for pain.

Did your jacket have elbow armor? I know it can only do so much, which is why I am curious.

Hope you heal up quick and are rolling soon!!!
So, you wrote this and went out and crashed your bike? Man, that sucks my friend! Please keep us posted on your status! Both of you!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
So, you wrote this and went out and crashed your bike? Man, that sucks my friend!

Yea. ☹️




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Rest easy Ferret, so sorry to hear of your accident. Crazy that you got so banged up at walking speed in a parking lot. I’m sure you’ll be back sooner than the doctors say, if I know you...hang in there.
 
There's something so unthinkable about the Ferret falling off a motorcycle—I refuse to say anything about going down; that's different—that I almost can't believe it. But it's a salutary reminder to us all that we're only a ride away from the next off. I rode a kilometre or two today thing about you and PowerDubs. I wish you both the best for a speedy and comfortable recovery.
 
Yesterday I came back from the BRP to my house over a VERY curvy road and in one curve a guy mowing his lawn had scattered a LOT of grass into the curve over at least half of the road.
If I can not see well into a curve I always slow down because you never know what is around the corner especially here in the mountains.
 
Thread starter
Man, what a fitful night. Painful throbbing in the elbow and wrist and the inability to get comfortable made sleep impossible. Finally at 1 am i got up and dug out my kidney stone emergency kit which has pain medicine in it. I took one and within 20 mins it blocked the pain and I was able to get about 4 hours of sleep before it wore off and the throbbing came back.sure hope that pill doesnt mess up the year plus that I have been trying to heal my gut from the colitis. Going to have to discuss some pain management with the ortho doc this morning, cause gritting my teeth and moaning is not working very well lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Man, what a fitful night. Painful throbbing in the elbow and wrist and the inability to get comfortable made sleep impossible. Finally at 1 am i got up and dug out my kidney stone emergency kit which has pain medicine in it. I took one and within 20 mins it blocked the pain and I was able to get about 4 hours of sleep before it wore off and the throbbing came back.sure hope that pill doesnt mess up the year plus that I have been trying to heal my gut from the colitis. Going to have to discuss some pain management with the ortho doc this morning, cause gritting my teeth and moaning is not working very well lol
You could ask for a fentanyl patch.
 
Sorry to hear of your injury ferret. Wishing you a full recovery. A reminder for me of how a day/trip/summer can be wrecked by a seemingly minor mishap at low speed. Last summer I almost dropped my bike at a gas pump. I say almost because as the bike was falling to the right side I caught its fall and placed it down gently resulting in torn muscle and ligaments to my right arm which became black and blue from shoulder to wrist. Couldn't put on my helmet or jacket by myself for weeks. It would have been better to let the bike fall but catching it was reflex, just as I imagine putting your hands out during a fall is.
 
Sorry to read the news. Is acupuncture anything you'd willing to try for the pain? Hope you can get some rest soon. - Jon Z
 
I must confess that I intentionally did not take the bike out today, even though the weather is perfect and I'm not at work. Guess I'm feeling a bit spooked right now. Things happen in threes, right?

Ferret, very sorry to hear about the pain and throbbing. Been there, done that. Yes, please do get something for it, and keep us posted.
 
Thread starter
sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread, i've actually been sleeping in a recliner most of the day.

good news

saw the ortho doc this morning, actually an elbow specialist, he looked at the xrays, said it was fractured but not shattered, therefor no surgery required and removed the cast, and sent me home in a sling, and called in a script for pain that shouldn't mess with the colitis (however i feel pretty groggy). im actually supposed to exercise the broken arm some using the good arm to lift it up and down, but no pushing or lifting with the bad arm. i have motorcycle trip coming up oct 8 (fall mens trip..back to west virginia lol) and he said if i was in a cast for 6 weeks id never be able to straighten the arm for the trip. go back in 2 weeks for a progress check and re-xray.
 
My son had a displaced fracture of the elbow when he was four coming off a trampoline.

The doctor is right of course being in a cast for six weeks it was really terribly painful to try to get him to straighten his arm.....

Lots of therapy never got it straight until he was out getting his tonsils out.... then they manipulate his elbow while he was asleep .....that was the best thing that happened..... finally got it back within a few degrees of being straight.

One thing they told us which I still remember don't worry about bending it you have lots of big muscles that will make that happen.... just worry about getting it straight.
 
The ferret_imp said:
sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread, i've actually been sleeping in a recliner most of the day.

good news

saw the ortho doc this morning, actually an elbow specialist, he looked at the xrays, said it was fractured but not shattered, therefor no surgery required and removed the cast, and sent me home in a sling, and called in a script for pain that shouldn't mess with the colitis (however i feel pretty groggy). im actually supposed to exercise the broken arm some using the good arm to lift it up and down, but no pushing or lifting with the bad arm. i have motorcycle trip coming up oct 8 (fall mens trip..back to west virginia lol) and he said if i was in a cast for 6 weeks id never be able to straighten the arm for the trip. go back in 2 weeks for a progress check and re-xray.
Cracked my elbow while I was living in Costa Rica nearly 30 years ago. They put it in a cast for 6 weeks. PT never could get the arm straight--lost about 20-25% movement--and one doc here in the U.S. said 6 weeks was too long, should have been 2-3 at most; another said it should never have been a cast at all, just in a sling that one could take off to extend the arm periodically. If it were me, I'd ask if the cast is necessary.
 
Thread starter
yea pdedse, he removed the cast today, and sent me home in a sling
 
More importantly :P Did the Ferret Cam survive? :D
 
Thread starter
no popgun. it broke. so a new ferret cam is in the cards.
 
Back
Top