ferret down

Sorry about the bad news, and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery!
I am intrigued by your injury, as there is no such thing as a radial head of ulna, radius and ulna being separate bones. Could both bones be fractured? That's a harsh punishment for a what seems a rather benign fall. Osteoporosis makes our bones more fragile, and although it tends to be considered as a typical menopausal condition it can also occur in men our ages, I suggest you ask your favorite doctor if there are any signs of it on your X-rays.
Otherwise undisplaced fractures of the radial head heal usually completely and without much consequences in about 6 weeks, be brave (you already proved it with your long ride with a broken elbow) and patient and keep us posted!
 
Ferret - Scary title on this thread. Relieved to find it wasn't life threatening, but the your injury is clearly pretty bad. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and the FJR.

The ferret_imp said:
LR my buddy did cancel his trip also and escorted me to the expressway and further until the freeways splt and he headed north and I headed west.

After 7 hours and 300 miles of curves I fall turning around in a parking lot lol. Still cant figure out how I got hurt since I was armored up head to toe, and I fell less than 3 feet.

Put 110,000 miles on the ST and close to 50,000 on CB's in the last 10 years without any of them hitting the ground. Only 3500 miles on the FJR and BAM ...well more like GRUNCH lol
Here's what I found on the web:

A radial head fracture may occur if you put your hand out to break a fall. The force of impact travels through the radius and pushes the radial head into the bottom of the humerus with such force that it fractures.

Putting your hand out to break a fall is the instinctive response. Many, many years ago, I broke my wrist trying to teach my kids to skateboard when I put my hand down to break the inevitable fall. Inevitable because I really didn't know what I was doing. :blush:

Finally, in a lame attempt at humor ... Were the RLETS OK?
 
Sorry to hear about your fall, bad luck.
Now, concentrate on your recovery....from the patient side, believe in full recovery and never give up, ever :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hope to hear a better news soon
Take care Mickey !!
 
RockHop_imp said:
Ferret - Scary title on this thread. Relieved to find it wasn't life threatening, but the your injury is clearly pretty bad. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and the FJR.

The ferret_imp said:
LR my buddy did cancel his trip also and escorted me to the expressway and further until the freeways splt and he headed north and I headed west.

After 7 hours and 300 miles of curves I fall turning around in a parking lot lol. Still cant figure out how I got hurt since I was armored up head to toe, and I fell less than 3 feet.

Put 110,000 miles on the ST and close to 50,000 on CB's in the last 10 years without any of them hitting the ground. Only 3500 miles on the FJR and BAM ...well more like GRUNCH lol
Here's what I found on the web:

A radial head fracture may occur if you put your hand out to break a fall. The force of impact travels through the radius and pushes the radial head into the bottom of the humerus with such force that it fractures.

Putting your hand out to break a fall is the instinctive response. Many, many years ago, I broke my wrist trying to teach my kids to skateboard when I put my hand down to break the inevitable fall. Inevitable because I really didn't know what I was doing. :blush:

Finally, in a lame attempt at humor ... Were the RLETS OK?

probably all that saved the brake lever
 
Glad you did not have more mishaps during your gritty-tough try to get back home after the millisecond it took to take the fall!...Very glad that you have your family backup to get you taken to medical care & to get bike back home!...Thanks for reminding us of the risk(s) that DO happen in the flicker of a moment! ...I hope you cut yourself some "slack" in your down-time from riding & find things that bring you a smile before you are....."BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN...OUT WHERE A FRIEND IS A FRIEND..."and you have a riding buddy that escorted you mostly back from your mishap...very glad you have close family support!!!...look forward to your future topics to cover for these next six weeks, or so!
 
egleaves_imp said:
Ferret not riding for a month or two is bound to disrupt the natural order of the cosmos. Let's all ride a few extra miles on his behalf to keep the balance. Speedy recovery, Ferret.
Heh, at the rate The ferret typically racks up the miles I'd have to go way out of my riding mileage comfort zone just to start to make a dent in a "let's all pitch in and ride a few extra miles kind of effort". He'll probably save a year's worth of "Guth riding miles" on his bikes while he's out of commission over the next few weeks.

I can see it now, my wife will be telling her friends "I haven't seen Bill in days. The last time we talked he mentioned something about restoring the natural order of something or other and then he was gone again shouting "gotta keep the balance". I tried to get him to eat something and take a shower, but he was having none of it, and believe me he really needed shower..." :biker:
 
Dang Mickey, what a bummer. So fortunate you were not seriously hurt. I had that same fracture to my right wrist in '72 when I went over the handlebars on an SL350, foolishly trying to stay with a couple of strangers riding DT250's on a fire road.

Take it easy and heal quickly.
 
Really sorry to hear about this, Mickey. Glad you eventually decided to call for help. I'm also a student of the "Tough it out and get it home" school of thought, but sometimes discretion is the bettor part of valor.

Here I've been moping about the house for the last few weeks because I couldn't fly. Your situation makes me feel like I've been taking my daily CB rides for granted. Hopefully this will heal up soon and you'll be back on the road.

Considering how many miles your ride, it's crazy that a parking lot maneuver would be the thing that got you. Fate would also insist that this happen on your newest bike. After riding my CB750 for 20 years without a scratch, I was incensed when that deer scraped up my shiny new CB11. All you can do is order some replacement bits and move on.
 
Get well soon Mickey!!!!

Pics of the bike or it didn’t happen :P
 
Thread starter
first off thanks everyone for the well wishes. you guys are the best.love that you all are going to ride some extra miles for me. that's really cool. sorry to be so late responding, but I didn't get much sleep last night, but took a heck of a nap this afternoon

rockhop that explains a lot about what could have happened. i did put both hands out to break the fall as evidenced by gravel rash on my gloves. at first i thought i sprained my left wrist cause it hurt pretty bad, but soon discovered the top of my forearm hurt when squeezing the clutch. when the pain became excruciating, i knew it was more than a sprained wrist and headed home.

yes my tourmaster jacket has armor in shoulders elbows and back, my pants has it in hips and knees, i was wearing motorcycle specific tall boots with padding on shins and ankles, and my hjc modular helmet.

i blame poor judgement on my part, combined with a tall heavy bike for the spill since it was an iffy place to turn, i should have waited for my buddy's assistance. i still consider myself a good rider, and dont consider this a riding accident, so I am looking forward to riding again when the doc gives me the ok

i go see an orthopedic hand, wrist,& elbow specialist tomorrow morning at 9:00. will have more news after that.

pictures? weii i broke my camera in the fall as well, but took some withm y phone. just typical gravel rash fall stuff. white scratches gouges on a blue background lol.
 
So sorry Ferret. I hope you heal quickly. No pain meds--that sucks. Time seems to move really slowly when you're in pain. Get as much rest as you can, my friend.
 
Well, this is not the kind of news I wanted to come home to after my own little ride.

I guess this proves that anyone can take a spill. On the whole, though, 6 weeks off is better than six feet under.

Hang in there.
 
So sorry to hear this Ferret. Hope you heal quickly although being around your age I know that's easier said than done with these things.

What the heck is going on here? My daughter totaled her car two days ago, you go down and now Josh. Is this that "threes" things they speak of?
 
Back
Top