ferret down

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
was down in w va yesterday riding some crooked roads, and the fella i was following thought we missed a turn so he whipped into a small parking lot, very uneven, narrow , gravel, and i followed him in. knew it was a poor decision as soon as i saw the situation. Ended up dropping the fjr while trying to make a y turn. fell to the high side. typical damage, mirror, fairing, bar end, muffler, saddlebag. it pitched me off pretty hard. i knew i was hurt but sure not how bad.

after getting the bike back on 2 wheels, i tried continuing on but was in excruciating pain every time i pulled in clutch. after 30 miles i decided i couldn't continue the 3 day trip and decided to head home. in another 40 miles i could pick up an expressway which would lead to a turnpike which would take me most of the way home without shifting (except for 8 miles of unexpected construction with stop and go traffic that was a real surprise.) the freeway/turnpike was working pretty well but got to the point i could not stand the pain of pulling in the clutch. finally decided i wasn't going to make it and pulled over and texted my wife to get our son and meet me in a gas station about 45 miles from home. at that point i was in so much pain i couldn't hold the bike up when stopped, couldn't take my helmet off. i had ridden 250 miles and could not go any further.

they met me at the station, son took my helmet off, put the side stand down, and leaned bike into it, and helped me off the bike. He rode the bike home, wife took me to ER. xrays revealed fractured radial head of ulna in left elbow. shot of morphine for the pain, and a temporary cast from bicep to fingertips until swelling goes down. have to see ortho doc probably monday, then a plaster cast for 6 weeks. participation in this years fall mens trip is in jeopardy. so back home, pecking with one hand on the keyboard, and still in great pain (cant take pain meds due to the colitis). probably no riding for the next month and a half. what a crummy turn of events lol.
 
OMG so sorry to hear this. Your get-off sounds so benign but your injury certainly isn't. Very glad you had the sense to acknowledge your situation, stop, make the call, and seek medical assistance. Sounds like your riding buddy didn't abort his ride and escort you to safety. Nice.

Goes to show that even with decades of riding experience, ATGATT, riding sober, etc., stuff happens when you least expect it, and the consequences can be serious. Heal quickly, my friend.
 
Terrible news. I'm glad to hear you were not hurt even worse, though it sounds like your injury is still significant. I'm in Central Ohio so not around the corner, but if you need anything feel free to PM me. I hope you surprise yourself and your docs with the speed of your recovery.
 
Of all the dumb luck!
My helmet is off to you for going as far as you did. WOW!!
As LR said, even an well experienced rider can take a tumble.
Take care and get well soon.
 
Thread starter
LR my buddy did cancel his trip also and escorted me to the expressway and further until the freeways splt and he headed north and I headed west.

After 7 hours and 300 miles of curves I fall turning around in a parking lot lol. Still cant figure out how I got hurt since I was armored up head to toe, and I fell less than 3 feet.

Put 110,000 miles on the ST and close to 50,000 on CB's in the last 10 years without any of them hitting the ground. Only 3500 miles on the FJR and BAM ...well more like GRUNCH lol
 
Yikes, and this not too long after your son had that spill, and your ST's brakes spooked your wife. It is not a good year for family ferret. don't worry, i'm sure that bone will be stronger once it heals. that's how that works, right?
 
Sorry to hear about your fall , just imagined what could have been hurting WHITHOUT your protective gear !
The older I get the more I like to ride just by myself instead of following another rider.
Get well soon !!!
 
Ferret not riding for a month or two is bound to disrupt the natural order of the cosmos. Let's all ride a few extra miles on his behalf to keep the balance. Speedy recovery, Ferret.
 
Thanks ferret, I stand corrected. Glad you weren't left alone, at least for the first bit.

Yes, absolutely egleaves, let's all ride a few extra miles in ferret's honor. Let's do it often. I'm in.
 
terrible news as i know the physical pain will be so much worse having to endure the pain of not being on two wheels .
get well soon just doesn't have the same ring to it that it once did but i sure wish you a quick and painless recovery.
for the ones of us who do believe in prayer , just know some are headed your way. sure hate this happened to you man
 
Sorry to hear this. Knowing how much you ride this will be difficult for you. Maybe this would help prevent you from going crazy and keep you in riding shape?

Heal quickly friend. The road will miss you.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I'm thankful the rest of your body is ok. It's no fun going down especially when you're in the midst of it. Grateful we have cell phones to call for SOS.
Get well and don't beat yourself up for what happened. It's the risk of our sport of always extending our riding careers.

I'll dedicate some miles to you and pray for your recovery. :worship:
 
I was shocked to read the title of this thread, and deeply saddened to learn the details. Best wishes on a speedy recovery to you, and hopefully an not-too-expensive recovery for your new FRJ. All the best!
 
Sorry to hear this- especially heading into a great time of year to ride.

Lets all hope they overestimated the damage and recovery time will be short and painless after a few days.

You never know when something silly will bite you- I 'stubbed' my toe going up my stairs one morning to get ready for work. Hurt- but I got dressed and went to work.

Knew it was sore- but when I got home that night and took my sock off- my big toe was completely dark purple, swollen like a sausage and the purple was up into the main section of my foot a good ways. I guess it didn't appreciate being my clutch foot!! My wife immediately took me to the ER and I thought they were going to cut it off. They had me in a room and a LOT of workers kept coming in to see it. Ugh.

Last week my brother in law who lives in florida caught the edge of a curb and fell off his golf cart driving down the sidewalk in his community. Stopped the fall with his face, broke his hand and several ribs. He is still on some hard drugs for pain.

Did your jacket have elbow armor? I know it can only do so much, which is why I am curious.

Hope you heal up quick and are rolling soon!!!
 
The ferret_imp said:
LR my buddy did cancel his trip also and escorted me to the expressway and further until the freeways splt and he headed north and I headed west.

After 7 hours and 300 miles of curves I fall turning around in a parking lot lol. Still cant figure out how I got hurt since I was armored up head to toe, and I fell less than 3 feet.

Put 110,000 miles on the ST and close to 50,000 on CB's in the last 10 years without any of them hitting the ground. Only 3500 miles on the FJR and BAM ...well more like GRUNCH lol
see , you should have bought that Goldwing ;]
I would ask again about pain meds with your condition because surly they have something .
you can get anything you want here so easy and even pick up a date just by shaking a pill bottle......

= trying to cheer you up as i know with both you and the bike hurt is bad but the good news is both will be fixed .

watch some U-tube and smile - Peace out
 
Back
Top