Favorite Shop Tools

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I do a good deal of mechanic work on the weekends maintaining our vehicles (SUV's, Truck, Motorcycles & Mowers) and was thinking about my most used tools over the weekend. The older I've gotten, the more I've begun to rely on Power Tools over Hand Tools.

I recently picked up new 3/8 Air Ratchet from Harbor Freight that has been excellent. I've learned to be quite picky about what I buy from HF, there are some gems and some...well, pieces of crap I've found along the way. I have a number of Hercules Tools, and they all have been flawless. The new 3/8 Air Ratchet is "Earthquake" brand which I haven't tried prior to this. So far, it's been a fantastic tool for me needs and has performed without issue.



Curious if any of you have found any Tools that have become your go-to, can't do without tools in your shop?
 
Can't say I have a go-to tool, but I have a few favorite screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches. I do have this unnecessarily large breaker bar that I tend to pull out very often just because. And apart from Dremel I don't use any power tools that often

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
21458294658be57cd26d0fc0ba750b87.jpg


As somebody who frequently struggles with all things mechanical, and hates buying single-task tools, and gets apoplectically frustrated very very easily, this thing is a lifesaver. I value it above all tools i have ever purchased.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
21458294658be57cd26d0fc0ba750b87.jpg


As somebody who frequently struggles with all things mechanical, and hates buying single-task tools, and gets apoplectically frustrated very very easily, this thing is a lifesaver. I value it above all tools i have ever purchased.
Man that does look like a professional setup! :rofl:
 
I guess the most I use my ratchet, a factory oil filter cup and a 17 mm 6 point socket
 
Phadreus_imp said:
You guys are making it clear to me that I don't have enough Hammers in my current selection. :P
Hammers themselves may not be enough.. these are being sold in a handy sets with chisels :D
 
I guess my favorite tools are a Fluke meter, an o-scope, and my Vessel JIS screwdrivers.

That an all the sockets, wrenches, et al.
 
Apart from the usual stuff i have gotten a new appreciation for t-bar tools, they seem to be widely used by racing teams and have a place in our service tools, to see them spinning the bolts is fun to watch.

Just got some "wobble joints" that make it possible to reach around corners to some extent, they were necessary on the rear wheel adjustment on the cb1000r with a 6mm hex socket.



Started to study the use of pressure and piezo transducers which use an digital oscilloscope to evaluate all sorts of engine diagnostic tests, cylinder contribution, spark performance, injectors etc. very big field of tests are possible here.

Good discussion material on this subject.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Flame-thrower, I like flame-thrower.
I recently picked up a small Butane Bottle Torch and man has it been ever so handy. There is just something primitive about wielding fire that I love for some reason. :cool:
 
Phadreus_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Flame-thrower, I like flame-thrower.
I recently picked up a small Butane Bottle Torch and man has it been ever so handy. There is just something primitive about wielding fire that I love for some reason. :cool:
Ah ya - keep talkin' dirty, ... that and a heavy hammer. No bike leaves unfixed.
 
Back
Top