Expensive hobby/sport...

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was out for 3 or 4 years.....
CB1100 $10K
Cloths $400
Helmets!!! $1K
Yep, all Shoei, 1 open face, 1 Modular, 1 J-Cruise
I'm sure I need them all, depending on weather, right??
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I was out for 3 or 4 years.....
CB1100 $10K
Cloths $400
Helmets!!! $1K
Yep, all Shoei, 1 open face, 1 Modular, 1 J-Cruise
I'm sure I need them all, depending on weather, right??
Got more money than I have. mine are HJC and Fulmer
 
Thread starter
acemagu_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
I was out for 3 or 4 years.....
CB1100 $10K
Cloths $400
Helmets!!! $1K
Yep, all Shoei, 1 open face, 1 Modular, 1 J-Cruise
I'm sure I need them all, depending on weather, right??
Got more money than I have. mine are HJC and Fulmer
Got more money than I have. mine are HJC and Fulmer
Well, my wife "almost" takes a medium too, so she can use them....
 
When I first got back into riding, I think I spent almost as much money on my riding gear as my initial investment in the bike (my used Hawk GT). Other than replacing my helmet a while back, both the gear and the bike are still with me. I don't regret spending the money that I did on either the gear or the bike as I've become rather attached to both. (My leathers were made by Langlitz right here in Portland and I spent part of an afternoon watching the seamstress while my jacket was being constructed.)
 
I have a boat--Break Out Another Thousand! Heck, my Honda outboard cost more than my bike!!

Man, I though a new helmet for ~300 was bad.

Guth, wish I was in Portland. I couldn't find any leather gear I liked here. I did spend that 400 on new boots, pants and 2 jackets though.

Can someone explain the deal with the modular helmets? I looked at one, but I don't get them.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have a boat--Break Out Another Thousand! Heck, my Honda outboard cost more than my bike!!

Man, I though a new helmet for ~300 was bad.

Guth, wish I was in Portland. I couldn't find any leather gear I liked here. I did spend that 400 on new boots, pants and 2 jackets though.

Can someone explain the deal with the modular helmets? I looked at one, but I don't get them.


modular helmets are easier to put on/take off
some with glasses like that you can put it on without taking off your glasses, never had a problem putting glasses on wearing a full face.
early ones had questionable latching mechanisms, I think the newer ones have gotten much better. You can lift the front and talk to someone much easier than if in a full face. I have one and like it. I don't like to see one being used with the face raised though-seems stupid to me. Opinions on them are like opinions on oil-basically a never ending argument begins.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I was out for 3 or 4 years.....
CB1100 $10K
Cloths $400
Helmets!!! $1K
Yep, all Shoei, 1 open face, 1 Modular, 1 J-Cruise
I'm sure I need them all, depending on weather, right??
Now you can save up for jackets: mesh jacket for hot weather, leather for good protection, Kelvar-lined jeans to wear with the leather jacket, rain suit, maybe a full body suit for touring, electric vest for cooler riding.....
 
Gentlemen,

Compared to racing cars, owning a good sized boat, or flying your own plane, motorcycling is cheap. But if you really want to feel good about it consider this....compared to the cost of acquiring and maintaining a wife, motorcycling is FREE!!!

Chip
 
meowguy_imp said:
Wanna spend real money buy a boat. :(
Or a Cessna.

Years ago, I worked as a project manager for a big general contractor out of California. The owner, quite a wealthy man, had been married (and divorced) three times and owned every kind of Big Boy Toy you can imagine at some point during in his life. He flew down to Texas to visit one of our job sites, and while we were eating lunch it came up that I was taking flight lessons. He looked across the table and told me this: "Jeff, take a piece of advice from an old man. Always remember the Rule of the Three 'F's." I picked up my queue and asked what that might be. His reply was, "If it Flies, Floats, or F*cks, RENT IT!" (Pardone le French, please)

I have a lovely and loving wife. But I took his advice on the other two, and I haven't regretted it.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Compared to racing cars, owning a good sized boat, or flying your own plane, motorcycling is cheap. But if you really want to feel good about it consider this....compared to the cost of acquiring and maintaining a wife, motorcycling is FREE!!!

Chip

+1 Replacing my boat's engines were twice what my CB1100 cost. And that is the cheaper aspect of boat owning. When kids came along we got out. And took a bath on the sale too.

Quote: But if you really want to feel good about it consider this....compared to the cost of acquiring and maintaining a wife, motorcycling is
FREE!!!
Bah. That's a bit of hyperbole, no? Or, I guess I picked wisely. Kids, on the other hand. Now there is the money sink of all money sinks. Don't get me wrong, absolutely worth it. Care, boarding, college. If those bills weren't around my garage and slip would be packed with toys :P
 
Back
Top