Exhausting Decison

4845Mike,

Could you provide everyone a link to this "decent under $200" muffler?

I would like to see it and compare to the Staintune.
 
I vote Arrow. Its a super nice muffler. I was able to get mine shipped for something like $510 dollars. Factory look but better sound.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
My son dropped my bike and damaged a few pieces, including the muffler. I am debating on whether to replace it with a stock muffler or to try something different. I'd love your opinion on what I should do. Incidentally, he wound up with a bruised an sprained ankle, another real world testimony that it's not a great idea to ride with inferior footwear.
You might want to consider the Remus slip on too. There is a recent thread with pix here on the forum. But a stock muffler would be a good choice if you can find a used one in good shape.


~ The Bee
 
HondaJon_imp said:
4845Mike,

Could you provide everyone a link to this "decent under $200" muffler?

I would like to see it and compare to the Staintune.
I would like to see that as well. Under $300 may be possible, with a little work on getting the fit right. I have had a number of bikes running Supertrapp exhausts, over the years. Didn't even know if they still made exhausts, or not, but a quick search turned up this: http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?CatID=36&ItemID=425-20000
 
One difference between the slip-on options designed specifically for the CB1100 and the typical universal cans is that the CB1100 specific units incorporate a bend or angle in the design to accommodate the fact that the attachment point angles outward. This keeps the exhaust in-line with the profile of the bike instead of jutting out to the side at an awkward angle. To prevent this with a universal can would require another section of bent pipe to be inserted between the output of the cat and the slip-on itself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There's a lot of exhaust pipe experience here, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried what I had seen a long time ago on another forum... Some people said they had good results by taking a looong looong 5/8 inch or so drill bit and drilling down into the muffler from the exit end. But I've also heard anecdotally that others have really screwed up the muffler and made a rattle sound appear.
 
Thread starter
Quick update...my settlement from Progressive is extremely generous. Yes, they are only paying for what was damaged, but some things don't really need replacement. For example, they are paying for a new front brake lever because it's scraped. Well, I'm not replacing it. I'm just buying some RLETs instead. There's a bunch of things like that, so I'm sitting down with my favorite service guy, Fred, and we're going to plot out a course of action that may include some mods, but that replaces any parts that really need replacing. I still have not decided about the exhaust, but I will let y'all know as soon as I figure it all out. BTW, from where does one procure RLETs?
 
"Coming into the final turn it's Keepitstock by a length with Staintune gaining ground in the run to the finish. Yosh and The Other look as though they were given a green apple and will still be running tomorrow ........."

ClassicVW, I would keep away from the drilling the stock. A friend did that, not to a CB but similar can. He listened to it for a week. It did not sound good. He then went for a replacement aftermarket. You could try it though. You might just get lucky.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Funny how we look at polls with our own bias. I see it as 1/3 for stock and 2/3 for aftermarket. My bias also has me thinking that, of those who voted "stock", the majority of them would have picked the Yosh if stock was not an option. Sooooo....I feel like it will either be stock or the full Yosh exhaust. Then again, I could always change my mind. LOL
 
Three times I put aftermarket exhausts on motorcycles. Regretted it all 3 times. They all sounded great when" getting on it", but the droning noise at highway speeds drove me crazy. I know you takes lots of trips ES. Something to consider.

I didn't vote, but at this point in my life I would always vote stock. If stock was not an option, I would choose Staintune.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Funny how we look at polls with our own bias. I see it as 1/3 for stock and 2/3 for aftermarket. My bias also has me thinking that, of those who voted "stock", the majority of them would have picked the Yosh if stock was not an option. Sooooo....I feel like it will either be stock or the full Yosh exhaust. Then again, I could always change my mind. LOL
:clap: You sound as though you used to be indecisive, but now you're not so sure.

Ferret, good point.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Funny how we look at polls with our own bias. I see it as 1/3 for stock and 2/3 for aftermarket. My bias also has me thinking that, of those who voted "stock", the majority of them would have picked the Yosh if stock was not an option. Sooooo....I feel like it will either be stock or the full Yosh exhaust. Then again, I could always change my mind. LOL
:clap: You sound as though you used to be indecisive, but now you're not so sure.

Ferret, good point.

Cheers
:clap: You sound as though you used to be indecisive, but now you're not so sure.

Ferret, good point.

Cheers
Let me mull that over for a bit.
 
Even though I didn't vote I'll add this:

Much like buying a motorcycle — when it comes to purchasing an exhaust, the decision is typically driven largely by passion. If you're not drawn strongly enough to any one particular option to make a clear cut decision, then go with the path of least resistance and keep it stock. There is certainly no harm in that.
 
BTW ES ..how is the boy doing? Playing soccer again yet?
 
Thread starter
He's fine, thanks, Mickey. He had a jazz concert last weekend and a classical concert this weekend. Having a bum ankle for a few weeks doesn't hurt you too bad when you're a horn player. It was a little hard for him to get around campus with a trombone on crutches, but that was only for a week. He's home for winter break in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see him...same for our daughter. :)
 
ES,

I'll confuse you a bit more and go against the BRASS:P

Its pretty split between stock and modified, after market cans are modified and will give you a different sound (edit:: BACK PRESSURE) and DB.

The after market Can was not even considered when I made a decision to modify do to it looking original, no performance benefit, retaining the Cat made no sense to me at the price point.

A full Yoshi will give you full inch larger downpipes, no cat and with the pair mod no farting on decel. You will notice nice gains in performance without any piggyback controllers, with perfect A/F ratio as noted by one of our members charts. Those richer A/f ratio will make the motor run much cooler than stock with the added fuel delivery.

As far as noise on the highway, I notice nothing abnormal than stock ( i do wear ear protection) but I'm sure i would notice some sort of hum,drone if it was there.

Now the thing is appearance, i personally like the look of the beefy exhaust against the black motor and the rear wheel showing off its appearance.

I will be honest with my opinions, I had a ZRX1200 a few years ago that came with a aftermarket can and drilled airbox. I closed the airbox and bought a stock can from a member and returned it to stock. The bike farted like crazy on decel. I caught a lot of crap on the site telling people stock was better, but its not the case here.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your input, CIP. So, if I'm reading it correctly, you're saying that I need to modify my fuel controller in order to avoid popping on decel? How much does that cost?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for your input, CIP. So, if I'm reading it correctly, you're saying that I need to modify my fuel controller in order to avoid popping on decel? How much does that cost?
The only thing you need to do to avoid popping on decel is the pair mod, which is the cost of a bolt (10 cents) and 3 minutes of your time. Its a very simple mod

PAIR Valve Mod

No need for a fuel controller, the bikes ECU will correct A/F ratio unlike bikes with carbs.

Look at Rick's Numbers with no PCV, perfect 13.0 a/f running much richer than stock running the full Yoshi. He is running a bit rich on top like my bike which a fuel controller can correct but not necessary. You will add 8% HP which you will feel in the seat of your pants.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....369&page=2

I piggyback controller can be added for additional fine tuning, Fuzzy's chart shows 92HP with a PCV and tune which is about 5hp more(no A/F ratio chart was shown) not sure if it was a happy dyno or not but his results are up there. Again the PCV is not needed for spot on throttle response.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
"Coming into the final turn it's Keepitstock by a length with Staintune gaining ground in the run to the finish. Yosh and The Other look as though they were given a green apple and will still be running tomorrow ........."

ClassicVW, I would keep away from the drilling the stock. A friend did that, not to a CB but similar can. He listened to it for a week. It did not sound good. He then went for a replacement aftermarket. You could try it though. You might just get lucky.

Cheers
Hey, I didn't say "I" was brave enough to try it! :s
 
Back
Top