Welcoming myself back

BIGGREEK_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey all!! Its been a while since my presence here. Last June I was in an accident with my CB. I ended up being okay, bruised ankle (first thing that hit the car), saved by the boot.

Long story short, two way road, at highway speed, everyone stopped and swerved. I had nowhere to go, I tried to squeeze between a Subaru and a wooden 4x4 signpost, as the bike slid, it chose the corner of the Subaru. I bounced off and took a dive into a ditch.

The bike, with the exception of the exhaust and bottom of the frame and engine side cover, had no scratches.

Gas tank crushed, instrument cluster destroyed, left rear shock crumpled, bar bent, some misc. items damaged. I ended up riding it back home, after the hospital visit. I was super po'd, I had just waxed it and polished it up the night before.

Insurance got a hold of it, gave me an estimate of $5,500, the dealer looked it over, added $400 to the tally. So all in all, about $6,000 in damage. Very close to totaling out the bike, I wanted to keep the bike, since everything major checked out. It was all bolt on parts that needed replacing.

$1000 for the gas tank
$1000 for the inst. cluster
$500 for ONE rear shock/spring assembly
$900 for the muffler

I couldnt believe it. So after 3 MONTHS of waiting I finally got my bike back. And in the process of waiting, I purchased another bike, 98 Valkyrie. For those of you who dont know, its a more bada**, stripped down, more powerful Goldwing.

So, after feeling bad about hurting the CB, I havent really ridden it since I got it back, plus being returned to me at the end of August, it was already at the back end of the real riding season. Ive only added 85 miles and 20 of those were from riding it back from the dealer. Hopefully ill add some good miles this year.
 
Welcome back. A nice long trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas could really get you back in the habit. Perhaps in the last week of May?

Again, welcome back and enjoy both bikes!
 
Welcome back, indeed, BigGreek. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but glad you escaped with minor injuries and are OK. The Valkyrie is a great looking bike. The restored CB looks very handsome too.

Happy riding!
 
This stripped Goldwing with its 6 cylinder boxer engine is definetly a bike I digg.
There is also a black used one in my neighbourhood at a local dealer to sell. I'm tempted to buy it, but don't have the place to park it. And 2 bikes are still enough for one butt. But what is enough?

Wisedrum
 
Welcome back, BigGreek! Glad to hear the damage was limited to the bike.

BIGGREEK_imp said:
Hey all!! Its been a while since my presence here. Last June I was in an accident with my CB. I ended up being okay, bruised ankle (first thing that hit the car), saved by the boot.

Long story short, two way road, at highway speed, everyone stopped and swerved. I had nowhere to go, I tried to squeeze between a Subaru and a wooden 4x4 signpost, as the bike slid, it chose the corner of the Subaru. I bounced off and took a dive into a ditch.

The bike, with the exception of the exhaust and bottom of the frame and engine side cover, had no scratches.

Gas tank crushed, instrument cluster destroyed, left rear shock crumpled, bar bent, some misc. items damaged. I ended up riding it back home, after the hospital visit. I was super po'd, I had just waxed it and polished it up the night before.

Insurance got a hold of it, gave me an estimate of $5,500, the dealer looked it over, added $400 to the tally. So all in all, about $6,000 in damage. Very close to totaling out the bike, I wanted to keep the bike, since everything major checked out. It was all bolt on parts that needed replacing.

$1000 for the gas tank
$1000 for the inst. cluster
$500 for ONE rear shock/spring assembly
$900 for the muffler

I couldnt believe it. So after 3 MONTHS of waiting I finally got my bike back. And in the process of waiting, I purchased another bike, 98 Valkyrie. For those of you who dont know, its a more bada**, stripped down, more powerful Goldwing.

So, after feeling bad about hurting the CB, I havent really ridden it since I got it back, plus being returned to me at the end of August, it was already at the back end of the real riding season. Ive only added 85 miles and 20 of those were from riding it back from the dealer. Hopefully ill add some good miles this year.
Wow. I had this same accident on my first new bike back in 1981, except it was the back corner of a Cadillac instead of a Subaru. I hobbled away with a sprained ankle and a few cuts and bruises. My KZ750 was totaled.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Welcome back. A nice long trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas could really get you back in the habit. Perhaps in the last week of May?

Again, welcome back and enjoy both bikes!
Thanks, haha unfortunatly because im such a big guy (6'5" 300lbs), after about an hour, i need to stop and rest. I know a taller seat and crash bars (with highway pegs) would do the trick. I bought the Valk for the long trips. Plus, the other reason for the valk, the ol lady doesnt like riding on the CB. She says, small seat and no back rest....good more alone time on the CB for me! :D
 
so ride the Valkrie to the rally...no biggie
 
Thread starter
Well.....touche

Ill have to see, im going to ohio around that time and all leave not already approved has been capped for the rest of the year. Hopefully ill know something soon.
 
Nice pic, the CB looks good, so does the Valk. :thumbsup:

Glad you're on the mend.

I have a 97 Standard I picked up back in 97 and recently passed my Y2K Interstate on to my son.

Best wishes for a full recovery. Boy those replacement part costs sure hurt.
 
Great choices in motorcycles! I've owned two Valkyries. Sold the last to buy the CB. Loved everything about the Valkyrie except the weight and the heat, from the radiator fan in hot weather, at stop signs and slow traffic.

The Valkyrie handing was amazing, for such a large bike, but no comparison to the nimble CB. Enjoy both and welcome back!
 
don't take this wrong, i'm not fussing or judging or anything, but i wish before the next crasher pays those prices they would put a wtb on here. there are some of us wanting aftermarket bits that would love to sell our perfectly good stock parts... just saying...
 
Thread starter
jimgl353_imp said:
don't take this wrong, i'm not fussing or judging or anything, but i wish before the next crasher pays those prices they would put a wtb on here. there are some of us wanting aftermarket bits that would love to sell our perfectly good stock parts... just saying...
Yea that is quite ridiculous in prices, I chose to keep my old parts. I actually opened the box for the first time yesterday, since the accident. I took a look at the tank, set it down, and couldn't fathom why that would cost anywhere near $1000..... And it was extremely light compared to what I expected.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I love both motorcycles. I took the CB out for a little ride today, got the oil changed. BOY how Ive missed this bike.
 
I worked in the parts department of a motorcycle/snowmobile shop one year. When the parts came in we added 10% for local dealers price. They did the same for us. Then we added 100% for retail customers. So a $100 part would cost another dealer $110, and a retail customer $220.

That was in the early 70s. Things may have changed since then because the Internet has made things more competitive.
 
things have changed quite a bit! I worked at a Honda store until a couple of years ago. There isn't a 100% mark-up on anything.

And yes, the internet has changed everything. There are several Honda parts sellers online. Cost plus 20% plus shipping seems to be their rule-of-thumb.
 
I wrecked my 14 STD about a year and a half ago. I rear ended a car. The local Honda dealer gave an estament of $5950 to fix. All cosmetic damage. I got tired of dealing with them so I picked my bike up and fixed it myself. Cost me about $800 in parts. My insurance company would not take my estimate and said they had to use the dealers. So they sent me a check for $5700.
 
A Vetter Windjammer fairing?
I didn't think they still made those.

I had one on my Yamaha XS1100G in 1980.
Did a great job of keeping the wind off.
I added an AM/FM.CB radio to the dash.
 
Back
Top