Exhausting Decison

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
My son dropped my bike and damaged a few pieces, including the muffler. I am debating on whether to replace it with a stock muffler or to try something different. I'd love your opinion on what I should do. Incidentally, he wound up with a bruised an sprained ankle, another real world testimony that it's not a great idea to ride with inferior footwear.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
My son dropped my bike and damaged a few pieces, including the muffler. I am debating on whether to replace it with a stock muffler or to try something different. I'd love your opinion on what I should do. Incidentally, he wound up with a bruised an sprained ankle, another real world testimony that it's not a great idea to ride with inferior footwear.
Beat the kid within an inch of his life! :dodgy:


Just kidding. Got to feel sorry for the kid knowing how bad he must feel. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade if you think you could stand the noise. A Stainune looks almost like stock, just a little smaller. I imagine unless you can find a stock can in the forum sales section, the prices might be pretty comparable.
 
Thread starter
Bike is rideable and I may have just left it scratched for awhile, but then the medical bills came in (we thought his ankle might have been broken, so an abulance to the ER)...$700 for the ambulance, $1100 for the ER, and $300 for the ER doctor. The repairs to the bike, if I do them all, could be about $1200. We will see what I can work out with the insurance company.

He feels bad enough about dropping it. Not going to harass him too much about it....yet. <grin>
 
I'd be tempted to keep the buggered exhaust for a spell and get him some proper gear. Stuff good enough that he WANTS to wear it. Like Sidi boots (many good brands out there but I consider Sidi one of the gold standards).
 
I would keep it stock but sometimes I do wish that the exhaust note was just a bit "lustier". You could shave a few pounds off with an after market can.
 
The ferret_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
My son dropped my bike and damaged a few pieces, including the muffler. I am debating on whether to replace it with a stock muffler or to try something different. I'd love your opinion on what I should do. Incidentally, he wound up with a bruised an sprained ankle, another real world testimony that it's not a great idea to ride with inferior footwear.
Beat the kid within an inch of his life! :dodgy:


Just kidding. Got to feel sorry for the kid knowing how bad he must feel. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade if you think you could stand the noise. A Stainune looks almost like stock, just a little smaller. I imagine unless you can find a stock can in the forum sales section, the prices might be pretty comparable.
Beat the kid within an inch of his life! :dodgy:


Just kidding. Got to feel sorry for the kid knowing how bad he must feel. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade if you think you could stand the noise. A Stainune looks almost like stock, just a little smaller. I imagine unless you can find a stock can in the forum sales section, the prices might be pretty comparable.
dont waist 800 dollars on a staintune when you can get a decent one for less than 200
 
Thread starter
RBoe...he's away at school without a bike. He doesn't ride enough to make more gear purchases at this time. If he comes home for summer, then we will invest in gear.

4845..a big part of my decision will be based on how much money the insurance is offering me to replace the stock can. I will opt for what I think is the best value for me, but I wondered which exhaust/cans appealed to my cb1100 friends.
 
I was wondering what was a decent one for less than $200? I have not seen anything made for the CB 1100 listed in that price range.
 
ES,

Glad your son is OK. Personally i would go with the full Yoshi at the cost of replacing stock parts.

I have a perfect condition Muffler and down pipes that I was going to keep around in case the future owner wanted to return to stock. But for a member in need let me know what decision you make and we can work something out.

Steve
 
The ferret_imp said:
I was wondering what was a decent one for less than $200? I have not seen anything made for the CB 1100 listed in that price range.
Me either, or I would have one already. :biker:
 
Stock or not...such a subjective decision.
I couldn't take the quietness much longer and bought a Yoshi slip-on from a fellow forum member.
It isn't exactly what I wanted cosmetically, but for the price it was too good to pass up.
Must save my pennies for that darned Nojima system from samurider.
Sorry to hear about your injured son and bike. You take care of your son, we can take care of your bike,
or at least help you with it.
Good luck in which ever way you decide to go
 
I like my cb with the stock sound. But I would not buy a new can from honda. Some member will sell you one for about $150 to $200.
 
Unfortunately, this is a pretty subjective question.
While I've modded the wee out of my Bonneville, I prefer my CB looking as stock as possible, and would never consider anything but the stock exhaust - except maybe a factory 4-into-4 exhaust. :D
Anyway, that's my useless 2 cents worth!
Best of luck with your decision and the insurance coverage. Glad that your son had only minor injuries, too -
 
I voted "Other." I think you should always have the full complement of OEM parts that came with your bike, so you should replace the factory pipe. Somebody on the forum will probably sell one at a good price. But, it's also fun to have an obnoxiously loud exhaust to p-o the neighbors when you go to the homeless shelter at 5:00 am to do your volunteer work.
 
Sorry about the drop. Glad both your son and bike are repairable. I'm happy with the Staintune. Chromed, as is the OEM, compact and a sound level that suits me. IEV deactivated, but I recall that US models don't have that anyway, and a PAIR valve mod. Simple. So that's the way I voted.

Cheers.
 
Having heard Pterodactyl's bike, I'd vote Staintune if I had to replace the OEM muffler for some reason.

Although see this coincidental post.
 
Again, so subjective, but my .02 are as follows:

I personally find the sound of the bike to be an integral part of the experience and I find the stock system to be lacking in this area. I bought a motorcycle, not a vacuum, it should sound like one. ;)

I bought my bike with 200 miles on it and the previous owner had already installed a Staintune. While I like the factory-quality fit and finish, I would not pay that $$ for a slip on as the performance difference is negligible. I'm eventually planning to swap my Staintune for a full system (probably Pipemasters 4:4), but for the money I'd look at these 2:

K-Factory CSR Full system @ ~$643 USD:
http://www.samurider.com/?p=9151
It eliminates the stock catalytic converter and utilizes larger diameter tubing, so probably your best bet for maximum gains for your $$. Remove the sticker and it basically looks like an old Kerker, so it fits well with the period aesthetic. Multiple baffles are available so you can tailor the noise level to your liking.

If you prefer the stainless look, I'd go with the Moriwaki 1-piece @ ~$863:
http://www.samurider.com/?p=6448
Moriwaki is Honda's official aftermarket partner, so I would expect build quality to be quite high. Also kills the cat.

To get the maximum bang for your buck, you'd want to send your ECU to Don Guhl to re-map your A/F ratios and remove factory timing retardation - that's another $375 (edited). Again, K-Factory + Guhl ECU puts you just north of $1,000 = +~10 HP and SOUND! :banana:

grover
 
I voted for stock. In the subjective world of sound preference, I am a big fan of the ultra quiet stock exhaust.

Given all the folks on the forum that have gone with aftermarket cans, it shouldn't be too hard to find a lightly used stock muffler.
 
Back
Top