Equipping a Home Shop

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
Despite what the Euro 5 Emission Advocates may believe, the CB1100 deserves much respect. A case can be made that emissions are not the only consideration when you evaluating a motorcycle that could easily last 250,000 miles and 50 years with only basic maintenance. Our motorcycles iare more "green" than what an exhaust test might indicate. :)

For a relatively modest investment, it is possible to equip a home shop with the tools necessary to maintain a CB1100 with confidence. For whatever it is worth, here is what I have acquired along the way.

Safety Goggles and Gloves

PQS69sF.jpeg


Basic Mechanic Tool Set

Rlqvqrb.jpeg


Persuaders

upiyikL.jpeg


Torque Wrenches

nH9ON2F.jpeg


Scrapers, Sanders, Duct Tape, Electrical Tap, Zip Ties. JB Weld

OfW2cOF.jpeg


Pliers and Scrapers

zkhxg7b.jpeg


Tape Measures and Ruler

svmQ8Ea.jpeg


Lights and Roller Seat

mHx5HNB.jpeg


Manuals and Tablets (Windows and Apple)

uOi1P8K.jpeg


Fluid Collectors and Protective Floor Mat

gyiho9c.jpeg


We are all pressed for space in our garages. For perspective, see the total storage required for my tools relative to the size of motorcycle.

GLVqyb4.jpeg


I am not sure if this Thread will spark much interest. :) But if anyone would like me to add some links to learn more tool specifics, please let me know. I would be delighted to add them to this Thread.

Take care and stay warm. David
 
I have a large tool chest with a metal sign over it that says “Still Plays With Motorcycles”.

Oh and a small plastic tote with my brake fluid changing stuff.
 
rdprdp01, you always post such satisfying photos--they make me happy. It's really quite elegant the way you set everything up, the precision...the care. It makes me think that if I were every buying a bike from you, I'd feel totally good about it.

I look through your "list" of tools and think to myself, "yep, I got that, got that...oh, don't have that". It's fun.
 
Nice montage!

More: Bandaids (suhawk beat me to it), vernier calipers, chain tool, tire irons, bead breaker.
 
Thread starter
When I was 14 years old, I worked at a gas station. Folks would pull up, tell me how much gas they wanted, and I would pump away. I also washed cars, changed oil, and swapped tires, too. Those were some of the best times in my life. It was a kinder, gentler world. People seemed amused that my boyish self was so serious about doing things properly. 

However, I do remember an incident or two with the tire machine. We failed to reach a full detente prior to my retirement at 16. I never damaged a rim or hurt myself, but I still remember those moments when the tire was either going on or coming off, hoping I wouldn't have to explain to Mr. Ron how I managed to ruin a perfectly good tire. I think those moments of my mis-spent youth scarred me because I have absolutely no inclination to own a tire iron or one of the contraptions I have seen you true motorcycle men use to service your own tires!

The balance of my garage setup follows. And although it does not include tire irons, I do have two spare tires:

3F6o84K.jpeg


An impressive collection of shop towels and all the cleaning and lubricating solvents Honda ever made for the CB1100:

tdGQChf.jpeg


A six-foot rolling case containing the parts most likely to be replaced when I overestimate my riding capabilities:

bGRyeUH.jpeg


TC25OFq.jpeg


And spare RLETS, because the RLET Police are monitoring my parole. :)

1NYGpP1.jpeg


Enjoy your weekend. David
 
rdprdp01 said:
When I was 14 years old, 
................
     .......................
And spare RLETS, because the RLET Police are monitoring my parole. :)

...

You bet, David....padawan you are not  :)
MiLord, any comments..??
 
I would also suggest that a multimeter be added. Although I have Flukes, there are others that will be perfectly fine.

Also an analog meter (d'arsonval movement) can be real handy for looking at transients or varying voltages as analog meters respond instantly whereas digital meters do not. Yeah, I know, a scope could be used but most people aren't going to buy an o'scope. PB, me, Max, and the other techs have one but most people don't ever need one.
 
Thread starter
[quote="Lord Popgun" pid='272724' dateline='1769527806']
I would also suggest that a multimeter be added.
[/QUOTE]

Because I respect the Crown, I find myself drifting more frequently to the Fluke website. If you were not so charming and the Liege Lord of the CB1100 Forum, I might be disappointed that you have planted a $600 seed in my head that is probably going to sprout a Fluke 88V someday!

It may join its place alongside other tools I purchased but will most likely never use because the Honda CB1100 is an engineering marvel.

I guess I should openly admit that I am equally addicted to fine tools. Even if I never use it, it will bring me joy to see it in the mix and take it out every now and then just to hold it.

I think I need to find a support group.
 
:D

Thats is a nice one RD.  However, you do not have to pay list price by buying from Fluke.  There are a number of test equipment suppliers that sell them for less.
 
I own 3 different multimeters.
None of them is Fluke, and the cheapest cost me C$10 long time ago, when prices were normal.
At work, we have couple of different Flukes due to EVs.
Stay with a simple digital one, cos most likely one will only need couple of functions like volt/Ohm meter.

.. in case if you run into a serious problem, like RLETs showing good conductivity, then you hire our Lord Popgun, aka MiLord… but he is NOT cheap, and gives no discounts!! :P
 
The Cellar Master has ONE job. Keep the cellar stocked. Our Baron, PB, has the keys to the treasury. But our CM decided he has TWO jobs. Stock, and then sample, ALL of the stock. IDK what to do. I think that 50c heat is messing him up ;)
 
Back
Top