Engine Sound

wait, did someone say they wear headphones( earbuds) while riding!! Now that I find crazy and dangerous.....not being able to hear your surroundings on a motorcycle.....same goes for bicycle and runners, always need to be aware of your surroundings by sight and sound.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
wait, did someone say they wear headphones( earbuds) while riding!! Now that I find crazy and dangerous.....not being able to hear your surroundings on a motorcycle.....same goes for bicycle and runners, always need to be aware of your surroundings by sight and sound.
So deaf people shouldn't ride (or run or cycle)? Totally agree that we should always be aware of our surroundings, but I think that most folks can do so while listening to music (not too loudly). it does raise an interesting question, though. Is wearing noise reducing earplugs (Hearos, for example) dangerous? If so, more or less dangerous than earbuds playing music (not too loudly). Also, do we know if listening to music (not too loudly) with a good set of earbuds has similar benefits to our long-term hearing as wearing a good set of earplugs?
 
I guess deaf people would not have a choice, but I would not deliberately reduce one of my senses I use to help stay safe and alive.
 
Your supposition that wearing earbuds effectively reduces one's ability to hear what is needed to be heard on a motorcycle is a supposition based upon your opinion. The key word there is "effectively".

You put on a helmet every time you ride. You have reduced your ability to hear, but your effective ability to hear something like a car horn is really not reduced. You still hear it, but it's not quite as loud as without your helmet. This works out well because you're protecting your noggin and still can hear what you need to hear. So, you decide to wear a balaclava under your helmet because it keeps your head from sweating up the nice helmet liner. You have reduced your ability to hear, but not that much, really. That siren is not as ear-splitting now, but your head is quieter, arguably less moist, and you definitely can still hear it and with plenty of time to react. You read a thread about how hearing loss can be reduced by wearing earplugs, so you slip some Hearos in under your balaclava and your helmet. Wind and engine noise all but disappear, but amazingly enough, you can still hear the fire truck. Everything is working great. You have protected your head, kept it dry, and saved your hearing so your grandkids won't have to yell at you when you're old. Then, you watch MG's Equinox video and decide that "Into the Mystic" would a perfect accompaniment to your ride and you remove your Hearos and insert a good set of earbuds that help block all that wind and engine noise. You fill a little of that noise vacancy with Van Morrison and guess what? You can STILL hear the car horns, the sirens, your wife on the bike next to you at a stop light shouting that you ride too fast, and the sirens.

In the end, it's a matter of one's preference, I think. It's not crazy or dangerous to listen to music when you ride. It IS crazy and dangerous, however, to create an environment in your helmet where you cannot see or hear the things you need to see or hear. I think a person just needs to be aware that there is a point at which they simply cannot hear what they need to hear or are so distracted that they hear it, but don't react to it. If they stay well short of that line, they will be fine.

Oh, and never ride too fast if your wife is following you. Talk about needing ear protection!
 
aschem_imp said:
Speaking of noise and getting off topic, I find my neighbor's weed eater (gas), leaf blower (gas) and lawn mower (gas) running for 25-45 minutes each is more annoying than a loud motorcycle that is only heard for a few seconds.
That's actually a good point - it illustrates how some noise is an INTRUSION, and other noise less so.

We choose some noises at every point - choose to mow the grass - with its noise. Choose to listen to the stereo. Some choose to run their bikes with open pipes.

But when that noise is FORCED on us, be it a neighbor blowing leaves when we're trying to enjoy a quiet morning coffee on the back patio, or a Harley rider blasting through and enriching us with his engine noise...or just some kid with is boom-box car...when it's FORCED on us, it's an annoyance. And in some cases more - when it wakes up neighbors.

If they wanted to listen to a motorcycle engine...they'd be out there WITH us. If they thought that rap-music MP3 was really great..they wouldn't wait for you to blast them with it, they'd have it on their own sound system, playing.

Forcing others to listen to noise that the perp enjoys, but no one else asked for...is the height of boorishness.
 
gossman_imp said:
I have had louder and throater sounding bikes, I love the sound of this with the stock system. It's gentlemanly, civilized, and doesn't shout "look at me". It's everything a motorcycle should sound like on the street. Plus I don't believe in the adage "loud pipes save lives" since it doesn't take into account the Doppler Effect.
RE Doppler Effect: True, however, not in effect at crawling speeds where much of the "show" noise tends to be.

Something else to consider: If so called "loud pipes save lives", then that implies a part of the rider's well-being lies in the hands of others who will react the way they do, which could be nothing or something unexpected. This implies that control is being given up by the rider in return for perceived respect. I would assume that responsible riders would rather have full control of situations to improve their probability of safety. But I digress, I did say responsible riders.

No disagreement here. Just another way of looking at the annoying problem.
 
I agree. Most of the loud pipe guys around here choose to ride without helmets. I'm not sure self preservation is the reason they go mufflerless. Their actions seem a bit hypocritical, don't you think?
 
Social pathological maybe.

Certainly at the discomfort of others, and risk of safety to themselves, their family (if they are breeding), and others.
 
I know I shouldn't make generalisations, but look at the image folks who tend to favour loud pipes generally want to create and you'll realise pretty quickly that the hullabaloo is more about intimidation than safety.
 
When I suffered my 'mid-life crisis', which fortunately coincided with a surfeit of disposable income, my attention and enthusiasm was directed toward Brit V8 sportscars (TVR Chimeara and Griffith) which was as much to do with sound as anything else (at 250hp, they weren't actually that quick) - but loved that V8 growl - until..... I got a 6 cylinder TVR Tuscan, 400hp of manic pleasure and the HOWL that engine produced at 7k rpm was other worldly (sounded like WWIII had started on the overrun!).

Now, the CB650 I did some of my learning on had some of that same howl as too (the Z650 just rattled and vibrated), to a more muted level, does the CB1100. This is a sound I am more than happy with and do not want to change it by putting on a loud can, for apparent safety, I'd rather put on a SoundBomb or something. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not too sure loud cans save lives?

For me, the character of the CB1100 isn't one where 'in yer face' is wanted, it is enough 'to be' by virtue of it's presence and yes, I cannot tell you the buzz I get simply knowing I am riding a CB1100, there was no other bike I really wanted and I'm happy with it the way it is - although maybe some RLETs to complete it?

Plus it scared the absolute crap. to the point of almost hysterics, out of my one granddaughter who we lovingly call Godzilla (not her name but you get the picture) - win/win I'd say!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I know I shouldn't make generalisations, but look at the image folks who tend to favour loud pipes generally want to create and you'll realise pretty quickly that the hullabaloo is more about intimidation than safety.
Yes, absolutely agree. That why their "loud pipes save lives" justification is so ridiculous.
 
Regarding "loud pipes save lives", I agree that it's at odds with some of the lack of precaution that you sometimes see with Harley riders. But I'll say that there have been more than a few times when I've been driving in a car that I've known without looking that a Harley was approaching from behind. In my opinion, it definitely makes drivers more aware. Would they be better off wearing more protective gear and driving more defensively? Sure. Is it obnoxious in general? Probably. But I do think that cars are less likely to change lanes into a Harley than they would be into a quieter bike.

Having said that, I have no interest in riding around on a loud bike.

Regarding the sound of the CB1100, I absolutely love the bike. It's my favorite of all time. But that has absolutely nothing to do with how it sounds. I ride BMW's after all. Until recently, I'd have said that I couldn't care less how a bike sounds. But I'll admit that my Triumph Speedmaster does seem a bit cooler than is justified because of its sound. Not loud at all. Just a nice deep soft growl.

At the risk of over generalizing, I'd say that somebody who puts a premium on the way a bike sounds won't be initially happy with the CB1100. But once you fall in love with the bike, the sound will remind you of it, and you'll love it.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I know I shouldn't make generalisations, but look at the image folks who tend to favour loud pipes generally want to create and you'll realise pretty quickly that the hullabaloo is more about intimidation than safety.
Yes, absolutely agree. That why their "loud pipes save lives" justification is so ridiculous.
Yes, absolutely agree. That why their "loud pipes save lives" justification is so ridiculous.
Maybe closer to the truth is they don't want to take ownership of the fact that their wants are obnoxious to most others. Even closer: They don't care.

- - -

Some might even be okay if they just said, " ... don't care" versus basically a lame excuse or lie.

- - -

Side story:

There is a hamlet about an hour north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada where provincial police have been ticketing bikes violating the noise law for a few years now. Most of them have been HDs. Not a profound statement by no means, but the locals did take the action.
 
Well let me chime in on the sounds our bikes make... First I do not like the loud roar of the Harleys. It really can be over the top some times. Yes there are others out there that are loud and not just Harleys.

I have a few bikes some are stock others are modified. My CB1100 is am amazing bike. The smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. But I also love the looks of the Yoshimura full exhaust too! There are people that make these for the old 4 cylinder Hondas and I always wanted to get a Honda 4 just to install the pipe on it. Well the 2014 Honda CB1100 and Yoshimura full pipe solved that desire. What a combination and the look is perfect. It also brings out a little meaner growl with out being annoying. It is actually a very complimentary exhaust system for the retro lovers out there.

I have a 1986 Honda VFR, love the bike. A very long time ago I installed a set or Kerker Slip-On mufflers. What a mistake! It sounded way better with the stock exhaust. So years later I changed it back.

So for me exhaust noise is all part of the beauty of the bike. It has to match it. The Yoshimura pipe on the CB1100 is PERFECT! My VFR stock for me is PERFECT. The XRs Only full exhaust on my 85 Honda XL600R is a sound to love! And lastly... my loudest bike... a modified 1967 Suzuki T-20 with twin chambers is just well just insane! I love pulling up next to a big a** Harley and my exhaust noise from my little bike is louder than theirs! When I leave the house/neighborhood I will idle it till I am well clear then it is game on! LOL!

Still need to find the time to finish my Kawasaki H2 with triple chambers on it. That will be pure heaven! LOL!

So the sound of the bike is up to the rider. For me it has to compliment the bike and add to the overall appeal of the machine. A bike can go from boring to amazing just by adding a pipe and getting the right sound.
 
Back
Top