Engine Sound

Dareius_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Tried to "listen" the voice of the four cylinders but on YouTube it usually runs smoothly a 900/1000 rpm. I wonder: is the sound exciting? Do you like it? Any video where I can hear it "singing"? :thanks:
And don't forget to answer the poll!
 
I have had louder and throater sounding bikes, I love the sound of this with the stock system. It's gentlemanly, civilized, and doesn't shout "look at me". It's everything a motorcycle should sound like on the street. Plus I don't believe in the adage "loud pipes save lives" since it doesn't take into account the Doppler Effect.
 
gossman_imp said:
I have had louder and throater sounding bikes, I love the sound of this with the stock system. It's gentlemanly, civilized, and doesn't shout "look at me". It's everything a motorcycle should sound like on the street. Plus I don't believe in the adage "loud pipes save lives" since it doesn't take into account the Doppler Effect.
Exactly my impression the first time (and every time) I heard it. It just oozes refinement. You can hear the machinery, rather than the noise. First time I rode into one of the old historical neighborhoods around here, I was starting and stopping all up and down the street to read the historical markers. People out working in their yards. Dogs wandering about. Not a soul was offended, or even took special note of my presence. As cool as that was, and is, a part of me is getting restless for a bit more rumble and growl though...
 
Sounds like a Honda 4 should and that's exciting to me.
 
Thread starter
As cool as that was, and is, a part of me is getting restless for a bit more rumble and growl though...
[/QUOTE]
That's the point, I like a bit of growling rage in my hears...
 
Perhaps one of the Italian naked bikes, they have a great sound. I enjoy the CB1100 four sound through the stock single pipe exhaust. I echo the comment on refinement and beautiful sound. "Growl" is not a Honda 4 sound, not normally. I've never heard a Honda Four with such a sound. However, I am 61 and did buy the CB1100 for a refined ride and sound and handling and look but who am I to say thats the only way to have a CB1100/750 ? I see a modern CB750 in her and someone else could see an inline four blank canvas waiting for the first brush strokes in a unique painting.
 
I'm on the fence. On one hand I'm really looking forward to the CB and not getting the dirty looks that I get when I ride my Harley through neighborhoods. It's hard in the historic neighborhoods where the houses are only 6' back from the street and the sound just reverberates. I'm always very respectfull in these areas, but not all riders are and it gives motorcycles a bad name in general and I tend to take the dirty looks too personally. On the other hand, I love the sound of my stock Harley's as well. I think I'm going to want my CB to be just a little throatier, not necessarily louder. I am also hoping that some other mfgrs come out with slip-ons for the DLX.:worship:
 
Dareius_imp said:
As cool as that was, and is, a part of me is getting restless for a bit more rumble and growl though...
That's the point, I like a bit of growling rage in my hears...
[/QUOTE] That's the point, I like a bit of growling rage in my hears...
[/QUOTE]

You would probably want an aftermarket muffler if you'd like a CB1100 to sound in a rage. It sounds pretty composed stock to me.
 
The engine sounds good with the stock set up but I wish Honda had made it a little throaty. I'm satisfied enough that I don't wish to change.
 
I really like how quiet it is , but as the years go by my hearing gets worse and worse( runs in the family ) but if I
need to hear a new sound I always have my wife. She is always saying " Don't you here that noise"
 
My CB came with a dealer installed Yoshimura RS-3 and never having met another person who rides a CB11 and only having seen one at a distance, I really don't know what the stock sound is like. Even with the RS-3, my vote was "politically correct." My other bike is an '07 VFR800 which, once the VTEC engages, emits a beautiful, visceral growl that only those familiar with a V4 can fully appreciate. That growl is music to my ears and perfectly fitting coming from the VFR. I'm undecided whether I'd feel the same if the sound was coming from the CB.
 
Idling on stock pipes I think it sounds like a burbling. It is definitely a pleasing sound. I would contrast it with the rumble of a v twin. At higher revs, it's neither loud and cracky like a harley nor loud and revvy like a supersport. I think they folks saying 'refined' above are exactly right.
 
Mine has the stock exhaust and I wish it was just a bit louder, but as the mileage increases it is getting slightly louder. :celebrate:
 
Agree with OP. The gray hairs around my ears must mean something as I think my F-150 EcoBoost, that is as quiet as a Lexus, and my CB sound just fine. A tiny bit more sound on the CB might be nice, however, you (and those around you) have to live with all of that noise all of the time. I once owned a Ducati Monster that had Termignoni pipes that did sound heavenly but it wasn't loud, just deep. I also owned a very gaudy, fluorescent yellow Harley 25 years ago with flames, apehangers and straight pipes that my neighbors hated!
I'm past the point in my life where my motorcycle or truck has to shout "Hey! Everybody, LOOK AT ME! I'm a kick butt, tough dude with a big pecker and my vehicle has POWER!" :rofl:
 
Idle sounds good, I like the sound when you roll in some throttle off idle in a low gear, good burble.

Overall, way to quiet stock. Can't hear it over the wind
 
DGShannon_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
I have had louder and throater sounding bikes, I love the sound of this with the stock system. It's gentlemanly, civilized, and doesn't shout "look at me". It's everything a motorcycle should sound like on the street. Plus I don't believe in the adage "loud pipes save lives" since it doesn't take into account the Doppler Effect.
Exactly my impression the first time (and every time) I heard it. It just oozes refinement. You can hear the machinery, rather than the noise. First time I rode into one of the old historical neighborhoods around here, I was starting and stopping all up and down the street to read the historical markers. People out working in their yards. Dogs wandering about. Not a soul was offended, or even took special note of my presence. As cool as that was, and is, a part of me is getting restless for a bit more rumble and growl though...
Exactly my impression the first time (and every time) I heard it. It just oozes refinement. You can hear the machinery, rather than the noise. As cool as that was, and is, a part of me is getting restless for a bit more rumble and growl though...
Ditto. I love the quiet refinement, but I'm also a huge inline 4 fan and would love to hear a little more of that (sportbike-ish) turbine-like howl. Nothing too obnoxious mind you, would just be nice to hear more exhaust than mechanicals.
I think a Staintune slip-on is in my future... :D
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Agree with OP. The gray hairs around my ears must mean something as I think my F-150 EcoBoost, that is as quiet as a Lexus, and my CB sound just fine. A tiny bit more sound on the CB might be nice, however, you (and those around you) have to live with all of that noise all of the time. I once owned a Ducati Monster that had Termignoni pipes that did sound heavenly but it wasn't loud, just deep. I also owned a very gaudy, fluorescent yellow Harley 25 years ago with flames, apehangers and straight pipes that my neighbors hated!
I'm past the point in my life where my motorcycle or truck has to shout "Hey! Everybody, LOOK AT ME! I'm a kick butt, tough dude with a big pecker and my vehicle has POWER!" :rofl:
Now there's a funny thing. I thought the generally accepted view was that 'big' in your final sentence actually meant 'tiny'.
 
Back
Top