ENGINE OIL

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi and hello to every :biker::hello::

As I surf through our forum threads, I noticed that members use different oil grades...and I wonder why, did you switch??
So please state: type & grade of oil, range of ambient temperature within driven season(s) and state/province::

Synthetic 10W40, 12-37*C, Ontario, riding only 3 different seasons within a year, this is the oil I bought from Honda dealer and I continue using it so far, never switched yet..

thanks
pb
 
Thread starter
Cormanus' pid='186883' dateline='1510198679 said:
This should get you started, Peter,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THANKS,
I just now see like an oil avalanche coming....it could be a good winter study before new, 2018 season:biker:

pb
 


I don't think that Peter got the argument he was hoping for when he recently condemned the use of O2 Sensor Eliminator Plugs in the "How To Section"...
Having recently traded my CB, I didn't think it was worth the effort... ;)
 
Honda GN4 10w30 I ride year round in Ohio... between 0 and 100 degrees, but usually between 32 and 95 though... But I prefer 60-80.....and dry...but I do ride in the rain. Started using it 36,000 miles ago and never switched lol
 
Rocky_imp said:
The owners manual says to use 10w30 so that's what I use.
That's what the Owner's Manual says, but my Honda dealer only stocks jugs of 10W40 Honda oil. I used it for 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA with no problems. So it should be alright for the CB1100 EX.

The jugs are 1 US Gallon 3.8 liters. Which is the perfect measure according to the service manual for an oil change without a filter change. But who changes the oil without replacing the filter. However given that difference is only 1/10th of a liter, the jug will probably do. If not, I will probably buy a quart for top ups.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The owners manual says to use 10w30 so that's what I use.
That's what the Owner's Manual says, but my Honda dealer only stocks jugs of 10W40 Honda oil. I used it for 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA with no problems. So it should be alright for the CB1100 EX.

The jugs are 1 US Gallon 3.8 liters. Which is the perfect measure according to the service manual for an oil change without a filter change. But who changes the oil without replacing the filter. However given that difference is only 1/10th of a liter, the jug will probably do. If not, I will probably buy a quart for top ups.
That's what the Owner's Manual says, but my Honda dealer only stocks jugs of 10W40 Honda oil. I used it for 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA with no problems. So it should be alright for the CB1100 EX.

The jugs are 1 US Gallon 3.8 liters. Which is the perfect measure according to the service manual for an oil change without a filter change. But who changes the oil without replacing the filter. However given that difference is only 1/10th of a liter, the jug will probably do. If not, I will probably buy a quart for top ups.
Lots of owners here are using 10w40 and doing just fine with it. You're not wrong for using it so I would carry on what you're doing
Any of the name brand oils are excellent. You don't have to use Honda oil. I use Motul in all my bikes because it's readily available.
 
Use what you like. Your bike doesn't know the difference and you won't damage anything. Personally, I stick to the book and try not to overthink it.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The owners manual says to use 10w30 so that's what I use.
That's what the Owner's Manual says, but my Honda dealer only stocks jugs of 10W40 Honda oil. I used it for 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA with no problems. So it should be alright for the CB1100 EX.

The jugs are 1 US Gallon 3.8 liters. Which is the perfect measure according to the service manual for an oil change without a filter change. But who changes the oil without replacing the filter. However given that difference is only 1/10th of a liter, the jug will probably do. If not, I will probably buy a quart for top ups.
That's what the Owner's Manual says, but my Honda dealer only stocks jugs of 10W40 Honda oil. I used it for 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA with no problems. So it should be alright for the CB1100 EX.

The jugs are 1 US Gallon 3.8 liters. Which is the perfect measure according to the service manual for an oil change without a filter change. But who changes the oil without replacing the filter. However given that difference is only 1/10th of a liter, the jug will probably do. If not, I will probably buy a quart for top ups.

I’m surprised that is the only weight oil your dealer carries since ALL Honda street bikes starting Jan 1, 2007 have been spec’d to use 10W30. Probably more an emissions thing than anything else, but that is what Honda spec’d. My 2006 ST 1300 calls for 10w40. The 2007 Honda ST 1300 which is the exact same bike except for color calls for 10w30. Btw I use 10w40 in the ST and 10w30 in the CB as spec’d. My dealer carries both.

Also both bikes call for 4.1 qts when doing an oil change with filter. I dump the gallon jug in each and call it a day. Got 100,000 miles + on the ST and 36,000 miles + on the CB, and it seems to be working out ok.
 
My OEM Honda Service Manual (and I think also the owners manual) suggest different oil for 2 different temperature ranges:

15°C and below: 10W-30
10°C and above: 10W-40

As most motorcycle are only ridden in the season, when it's not too cold, it makes totally sense to the shops, to provide just 10W-40, same here in Germany. Also these ranges do fairly overlap.

I used 10W-30 during the dark time of the year and 10W-40 from May to October.

However, I don't think, it's critical and either will work.
 
Here, where, according to the manual, temperatures ought to dictate 10W-40, dealers offer oil change ‘kits’ with 4 litres of Honda 10W-30 and a filter. Go figure.
 
"Also both bikes call for 4.1 qts when doing an oil change with filter."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Prods us into buying that extra quart unnecessarily. :dodgy:
 
I have two hard and fast rules concerning oil:
1. Any oil is better than no oil.
2. Oil is much cheaper than engines.
I use what is convenient. Note that most owners manuals have a large overlap of 10W-30 and 10W-40 for temperatures at which they are recommended. This means they will both work in the broad band of temperatures when most riding is done.

jim
 
Blockhead_imp said:
"Also both bikes call for 4.1 qts when doing an oil change with filter."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Prods us into buying that extra quart unnecessarily. :dodgy:
There are only .95 liters in a US quart. So you get 10 top ups and we only get 9 1/2. :D

Either way, if you want to be able to rely on the sight glass you need the extra 1/10th of a quart, unless the jug is enough. And it may be if 1/10 of a liter or US quart remain in the motor after draining.

I am not surprised the Honda Canada jug is filled in the USA. Almost all of our oil is exported to the USA for refining. Canada supplies the USA with more than 40% of its crude oil, mostly from the Alberta tar sands. A good arrangement for two friendly countries joined at the hip. :thumbsup:
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
"Also both bikes call for 4.1 qts when doing an oil change with filter."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Prods us into buying that extra quart unnecessarily. :dodgy:
There are only .95 liters in a US quart. So you get 10 top ups and we only get 9 1/2. :D

Either way, if you want to be able to rely on the sight glass you need the extra 1/10th of a quart, unless the jug is enough. And it may be if 1/10 of a liter or US quart remain in the motor after draining.

I am not surprised the Honda Canada jug is filled in the USA. Almost all of our oil is exported to the USA for refining. Canada supplies the USA with more than 40% of its crude oil, mostly from the Alberta tar sands. A good arrangement for two friendly countries joined at the hip. :thumbsup:
There are only 9.5 liters in a US quart. So you get 10 top ups and we only get 9 1/2. :D

Either way, if you want to be able to rely on the sight glass you need the extra 1/10th of a quart, unless the jug is enough. And it may be if 1/10 of a liter or US quart remain in the motor after draining.

I am not surprised the Honda Canada jug is filled in the USA. Almost all of our oil is exported to the USA for refining. Canada supplies the USA with more than 40% of its crude oil, mostly from the Alberta tar sands. A good arrangement for two friendly countries joined at the hip. :thumbsup: You probably mean 0.95 liters in a quart .
 
Houtman_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
"Also both bikes call for 4.1 qts when doing an oil change with filter."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Prods us into buying that extra quart unnecessarily. :dodgy:
There are only .95 liters in a US quart. So you get 10 top ups and we only get 9 1/2. :D

Either way, if you want to be able to rely on the sight glass you need the extra 1/10th of a quart, unless the jug is enough. And it may be if 1/10 of a liter or US quart remain in the motor after draining.

I am not surprised the Honda Canada jug is filled in the USA. Almost all of our oil is exported to the USA for refining. Canada supplies the USA with more than 40% of its crude oil, mostly from the Alberta tar sands. A good arrangement for two friendly countries joined at the hip. :thumbsup:
There are only 9.5 liters in a US quart. So you get 10 top ups and we only get 9 1/2. :D

Either way, if you want to be able to rely on the sight glass you need the extra 1/10th of a quart, unless the jug is enough. And it may be if 1/10 of a liter or US quart remain in the motor after draining.

I am not surprised the Honda Canada jug is filled in the USA. Almost all of our oil is exported to the USA for refining. Canada supplies the USA with more than 40% of its crude oil, mostly from the Alberta tar sands. A good arrangement for two friendly countries joined at the hip. :thumbsup: You probably mean 0.95 liters in a quart .
Thanks! Had time to fix it. :thanks:
 
Back
Top