Engine Guards / Crash Bars

jmc1100_imp said:
Just installed Motech crash bars 2days from Twisted Throttle I also ordered shop manual need info on ft. lbs for 3 point motormounts..Other than that easy install Thankyou for all the great ideas....
Hi JMC1100. I purchased the Motech engine guards and they are in my garage waiting to be installed. Wondering if I need to ask dealership to install it. Not sure if I want to mess with engine mounts.
Any feedback? Words of encouragements! Thanks in advance.
 
If you're mechanically-inclined even in the slightest, slightest bit...they're an easy install. You'll only be removing & replacing one motor mount at a time, so there's really not much to worry about. A torque wrench is the only specialty tool you'll need (which you can buy, borrow, or rent for much cheaper than anything a dealer might charge).
 
Jim21680_imp said:
If you're mechanically-inclined even in the slightest, slightest bit...they're an easy install. You'll only be removing & replacing one motor mount at a time, so there's really not much to worry about. A torque wrench is the only specialty tool you'll need (which you can buy, borrow, or rent for much cheaper than anything a dealer might charge).
+1^^^^^^^:thumbsup:
 
I installed mine, while still suffering from a broken clavicle :) I'll submit it's no great task. Some of the engine mount bolts were a bit tough but using the noggin a bit I worked through it. I would rate the task as easy and a good one to do if you need to build some confidence in wrenching.
 
Having broken a clavicle myself, I'll say that I'm pretty impressed for such a feat (I doubt your doctor would share my enthusiasm). Some of the bolts were indeed pretty tough, and required a firm second arm to hold back the opposing nuts. Doing that with a broken collarbone just doesn't seem like a very pleasant task.

On a side note to any new installer, you might prefer to have some black spray paint and some Q-tips handy. The chrome washers that come with the Motech kit look much better (or, hide much better) in black, and there's also a small ring of bare engine block that becomes visible with the new setup. You'll see exactly what I mean when you're doing it. They're a nice set of bars, enjoy them!
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Having broken a clavicle myself, I'll say that I'm pretty impressed for such a feat (I doubt your doctor would share my enthusiasm). Some of the bolts were indeed pretty tough, and required a firm second arm to hold back the opposing nuts. Doing that with a broken collarbone just doesn't seem like a very pleasant task.

On a side note to any new installer, you might prefer to have some black spray paint and some Q-tips handy. The chrome washers that come with the Motech kit look much better (or, hide much better) in black, and there's also a small ring of bare engine block that becomes visible with the new setup. You'll see exactly what I mean when you're doing it. They're a nice set of bars, enjoy them!
I just put a pair of SW Mo crash bars on my CB and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! That shiny washer and the shiny circle of engine block that has been revealed is driving me nuts! I will have to take the bars off this winter in my 72 degree basement and touch those areas up with a tiny paintbrush.
Ya, I am anal,,,,,,

edit to add a pic
the bars do look nice

2473d086d0f069949e46d2dc8052780c.jpg


the shiny revealed

a1a1b4d2e8d566f4c68079c816f30f95.jpg


the bolt head itself has a nice black plastic cover provided by SW Mo I just have not put it on yet
 
There is a reason why mother Honda has that shiny surface. The engine needs a good ground to the frame. After years of static electricity/"grounding" jumping around this could cause accelerated corrosion. Paint the visible part but not actual surface to surface contact.
 
cbfan_imp said:
There is a reason why mother Honda has that shiny surface. The engine needs a good ground to the frame. After years of static electricity/"grounding" jumping around this could cause accelerated corrosion. Paint the visible part but not actual surface to surface contact.
what's the difference since the bars are already painted. Where's the path to ground?
 
Deanohh_imp said:
cbfan_imp said:
There is a reason why mother Honda has that shiny surface. The engine needs a good ground to the frame. After years of static electricity/"grounding" jumping around this could cause accelerated corrosion. Paint the visible part but not actual surface to surface contact.
what's the difference since the bars are already painted. Where's the path to ground?
what's the difference since the bars are already painted. Where's the path to ground?
Looks good, but I want chrome bars. I've seen some smaller ones in chrome, but I don't know if you can get them here the US yet.
 
RonLyke_imp said:
Has anyone installed engine guards? I see what apparently are mounting holes on the frame.
I just bought a new black 2014 CB1100S/SA.
I did a lot of looking around before I bought my case guards from Twisted Throttle.
I went whith these for a number of reasons. They are low profile. Their black finish is excellent that compliments the look of my bike. They are also about $100 less than most of the other case guards out there.
These reasons account for 50% of why I went with them. The other 50% of the reason I went with them is because of the engineering and build of them.
All the other case guards I looked into mounted their steel structure directly to the engine mount/frame, as do the TT case guards. This is OK if you lay the bike down in a parking lot or your garage.
However if you lay your bike down at any kind of speed these case guards will deliver the full force of the shock to the engine mount/frame.
The Twisted Throttle case guards have an offset built into them that will absorb some of that shock and deform/bend a bit, sparing the full force of the shock to the engine/frame mounts while still protecting the cases.
I'd rather spend another $170 for new case guards rather than have to deal with a possible engine mount/frame warp.
 
I just bought the Honda CB1100 last month and it came with the SW Motech engine guards. I was noticing scraping on corners while riding on curvy mountain roads so I got under to investigate. I had thought it was the center stand since I had this happen once before on an adventure bike. It turns out it was the SW Motech Guards. The left guard rubbed on the bottom of the guard as depicted in the photo and the right one rubbed pavement on the clamp itself. Notice the nut about halfway gone. I'm thinking about changing to the chrome H&B guard because its a bit higher. Hitting metal at speeds on what I consider to be relatively easy curves is quite distressing. Has anyone run into this problem with these?

e134ae4365eb51d2a11f3168c33d534c.jpg


3060a1c56feac975604f630dc19bb9f3.jpg
 
^That's what I was thinking. I have the same SW Motech bars, so I'm hoping that's the case.
You must be running the twisties pretty hot for this to happen...good for you!
 
Jim21680_imp said:
^That's what I was thinking. I have the same SW Motech bars, so I'm hoping that's the case.
You must be running the twisties pretty hot for this to happen...good for you!
I was thinking the same thing - wow, very extreme lean angles through the twisties.
I have the SW bars on my CB, but I'm not brave enough to lean that far so I don't foresee a problem with them :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
^That's what I was thinking. I have the same SW Motech bars, so I'm hoping that's the case.
You must be running the twisties pretty hot for this to happen...good for you!
I was thinking the same thing - wow, very extreme lean angles through the twisties.
I have the SW bars on my CB, but I'm not brave enough to lean that far so I don't foresee a problem with them :D
I was thinking the same thing - wow, very extreme lean angles through the twisties.
I have the SW bars on my CB, but I'm not brave enough to lean that far so I don't foresee a problem with them :D Lol, nothing extreme about any lean angle from this bike!:D

It has plenty of clearance if suspension is set up right but not possible with stock shocks, they are terrible for anything but cruising.

I got the OEM guards on the way, when I get them I'll eyeball the fit and make sure I'm not losing any cornering clearance. They look pretty tucked in and Honda generally would have a design not to compromise the lean angle.

I never scrape anything on this bike, it's too heavy and would not want it to get away from me. I like the rubber to be the only thing touching the ground.
 
My bike is stock but I cranked up the pre-loads on the rear and front suspension to just about max. I'm about 185 lbs and I didn't think I was pushing it that hard on the corners compared to what I've done on modern sport bikes.

The twisties are fun. I spent the last three days carving up the mountain roads.
 
Back
Top