End of the road

VLJ-

I can't imagine your situation, but truly my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am thankful you are alive but I will pray for both your healing and knowledge/ wisdom for your doctors.

Thank you for the update and please continue to keep us informed.
 
I am very sorry to hear that the healing is not going as well as hoped for. It might be better to leave the bike on the center stand , keeping it upright afterwards could be a challenge unless you have help.
It all shows that one's life can change so quickly in just a second of time.
We are thinking of you and all the best wishes for the future.
 
VLJ, you are in an unenviable situation, but I see that your positive spirit will allow you to overcome all your difficulties.
Having lovely CB with you (if possible) will certainly help with your lengthy recovery.
Good luck my friend !!
 
Well shoot, I was really hoping for better news. Here's hoping the magnetic thing starts working and the swelling in your foot goes down.
 
While not as severe as your predicament, 5 years ago I was involved in a collision. Recovery and therapy took many months before started to return to something like normal. I wasn't sure if I'd be getting back on a motorcycle, even after I physically could do it. It took a year before I'd even consider the possibility of riding again.
Not even trying to compare your situation to mine just saying I feel the loss. Hang in there man.
 
Not exactly pleasant news Veal, some of us remember their own accident, mine took 2 years and a lot of "memorable" exercises to get back on a bike.
The big prize for me was a brandnew cb500 four that i focussed on to get me well again and i just had a broken arm and elbow which recovered 90%.

The most surprising thing was at an oldtimers race meeting where an 80+ year old bent over limping guy climbed onto his bike and drove off on to the circuit, once he was moving i could not tell the difference between him and the other much healthier looking riders, amazing to watch that happening, sooo.......



Best wishes from nz.
 
VLJ_imp said:
furious_blue, did you ever start riding again?
After all the pain, not being able to sleep normally, etc, that you know all about, the first hurdle was just being able to live a life that is something close to normal, another thing that you know all about.
After that settled down, the association of that trying time with motorcycle riding naturally made me wonder if it was worth it all.
It was more than a year before I seriously considered riding again. All those nice summer days started having an effect on the psyche. Motorcycles had been a big part of my adult life for 40 years by then, that's a lot of neurons in the head !
Finally on a New Year's day after more than a year, it was cold but dry out and I decided that I'd take out the old ZX and see if I was 'in or out' with these things.
It was a bit scary but after a half hour I knew that I was back 'in'.
Since then, I've made edits of some of my ride videos knowing that 'this won't go on forever'.. If I make it that far, sometime when I'm sitting at home or in a facility and can't ride or drive anymore, I'll have these old videos to remind me: yeah ! that's what it was like, wasn't it great ?!

Yikes, I think I'm turning into an old geezer !

My CB1100 has been sitting non-op for 5 years since then, other bikes took priority getting out of hibernation. In June, I'll finally fire it up again for a ride, not just a semi-yearly oil circulation run in the garage. Reading this forum again is heightening the anticipation. I can't wait !

Best of luck to you whatever happens !
 
VLJ_imp said:
furious_blue, did you ever start riding again?
VLJ, had a bad motorcycle accident (as a ride pillion) 1/2 century ago... and started riding again before full recovery.....:biker:
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide, I don't know whether it's a sign, but it certainly has become a stark reality. I never imagined it would prove this difficult to sell a relatively rare, exceedingly beautiful, functionally perfect, cosmetically pristine, bone stock Honda streetbike. It may turn out that my only options are to sell her to a dealer and get my head ripped clean off, which I am viscerally opposed to doing, or keep her and eventually begin riding again, neck and foot willing.

The way things are looking financially, I just don't see that latter option as being a reasonable, responsible choice. State disability income, which I'm surviving on at the moment, is short-term. It doesn't last forever. Once it runs out later this year, and if it turns out that I am unable to return to work by then, I will have zero income. The process of applying for and being granted permanent disability usually takes two years. Almost no one is ever granted permanent disability on the first attempt. It nearly always requires a minimum of two tries, and the hiring of a disability lawyer. With all this staring me in the face, continuing to pay the $180 extra each month for motorcycle insurance and garage fees in order to keep a pretty motorcycle that I can't even ride is a luxury I simply won't be able to afford.

It's just basic math.

My attorney has filed a lawsuit against the guy who hit me. No one disputes that he is 100% at fault. He was eighty-five years old at the time of the collision, and his assets are limited to a paid-off $700,000 ranch up in Loomis, along with nearly $700,000 in cash in his bank account. He has full 100/300 auto coverage.

Here is where it gets tricky. His auto insurance is offering to pay the full extent of his policy, $100,000, and that's it. My attorney receives one third of any settlement. We know that if it goes to court then the old guy will lose, probably to the tune of an extra two hundred thousand dollars. His attorney's strategy is to wait me out in the hopes that I will cave in and accept only the insurance limits as a total settlement, knowing full well that I will run out of income long before a court case is settled, which will take a minimum of two years.

Again, just basic math, which, at the moment, is decidedly not my friend.

It's now a poker game.
 
Man, this really sucks. By State law I'm able to keep a bike unregistered for the road and uninsured as long as the bike is not ridden on public roads, for about $10 a year. Hope it works out for you.
 
Thread starter
Yep, I paid the registration because I thought that I might need to have my buddy ride the bike somewhere, such as to a dealer, to deliver her. I'm just amazed that no one has stepped up to claim my bike. There have been so many people here posting threads, looking for CB1100s. I thought she would sell within the first week. Now, with the price having dropped so much, I'm even more amazed that no one has jumped on this.

I'm clueless. Is it the coronavirus? Do I have spinach stuck between my teeth?
 
VLJ, sorry to hear that you haven't healed yet; but have faith. My friend broke his neck in four places in a motorcycle accident and was in a halo for almost two years. One of the four vertebra was not healing. I gave him the electronic bone stimulator that was prescribed to me for my broken wrist, and he it wore it 24-7. His neck finally did heal. I'm not saying it was because of the stimulator, but I just wanted to let you know that there is still hope your broken vertebra will heal. Will pray for your healing.
 
Thread starter
Dave, my electronic collar cannot be used 24-7. It's on a daily timer that will not allow the user to use it more than thirty minutes per day. They call it a bio-device. It can't be returned or re-used. It has a nine-month lifespan, at which point it dies and must be disposed of as e-waste.

If I try to use it more than once in a day, it just flashes a happy face at me, telling me to bugger off until tomorrow. The strangest thing about it is that it gives absolutely no indication that it's on. All you have is the countdown timer. Otherwise, it makes no sound. It doesn't hum, or vibrate. No odor. Nothing. You just start the timer, strap it to the back of your neck, let it count down its thirty minutes, and hope it's actually doing something.
 
(*sigh*) Disappointing Veal, everything. I don't know anything about motorcycle re-sale in California, however, I suspect that state has an abundance of bikes given the great riding opportunities of the state. So is the state market flooded with bikes? Is a timeless classic-styled UJM not in demand in CA? It must be well into spring riding season there, ..., however, I am sure COVID-19 is now a distraction to shoppers.

It appears the bike doesn't want to let you go.
 
Like others have mentioned, sorry to hear of the health issues. I still hope that your neck can heal.

Have you talked to any dealers about a consignment sale? I've read online of dearler taking 10% or more of sale plus monthly charge. If I remember right you went to dealer about an hour or two away for better price. Maybe you could talk to the guy who sold it to you, explain frankly what happened, ask him if they would maybe go for a flat fee of $X amount to help you out.

But it might take waiting this virus thing out for several weeks / months. So hard to say. It just takes one buyer.
 
Back
Top