Houtman_imp
Road warrior
That was un horrible "thing " you went through , I have to greatly admire your outlook on life . I hope that you still have a good and healthy time ahead of you.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Maybe the following is all "too out there", but it's been on my mind...LongRanger_imp said:I hate this thread.
I believe I would agree with that testament today. No unnecessary "greedy" moves.The ferret_imp said:I think I was more aware riding today because of this thread.
Maybe the following is all "too out there", but it's been on my mind...pdedse_imp said:Maybe the following is all "too out there", but it's been on my mind...LongRanger_imp said:I hate this thread.
This IS a difficult thread. We enjoy our bikes for many reasons: the simple thrill of flying, the places we go to we otherwise wouldn't, learning about the mechanics of our spacecrafts, the friendships that develop who share a passion, the sense of freedom an outing offers up, the satisfaction of working on them to whatever degree we do--and we all could add many more ideas.
We rack up miles, experiences, trips, adventures...perhaps years and years on our bikes. And we do this all the while knowing that "IT" could happen on any given ride. We simply think "but it won't happen to me, not today". Yet we know it does happen to someone. I suppose a cyclist's decision to ride is similar to surfers who takes their chances knowing that a shark could utterly ruin their day, their very future.
So we block it out. IT happens to unknown "others" and we're reminded through the news reports, we're reminded that once again it happens to others and we remain convinced that while it could happen to us...it won't. Not today, not to me.
And then...VLJ starts a thread "End of the road" and before we even open it, a sick sense of dread begins to form. Now it has happened to one that we "know" as well as one can on an internet forum. Our thought process (promise?) of "not today, not to me" seems hollow, false. VLJ's reality reminds us of our vulnerable-ness "out there". So it is a difficult thread. But a good one. For it makes us ask ourselves the questions we need to ask if we're to continue to enjoy the ride.
May you continue to progress towards complete recovery.

My thoughts, exactly. The reason I had to stop riding sportbikes, or even sporty standards like my Street Triple, wasn't because I'd grown tired of them, or afraid of them, or anything of the sport. Nope, it was simply a matter of physiology. Following my second neuro-spinal fusion procedure, I was left with C1 and C2 as my only flexible vertebrae above the fixed-solid reconstruction. C3 through C7 are fused together and plated with titanium. They can't move. As a result, I can no longer tilt my head at the angle necessary to ride any bike that enforces even a semi-aggressive forward-lean riding position.EmptySea_imp said:If I had two spinal surgeries due to motorcycle crashes, I wouldn't give myself the opportunity for the third. I commend VJL for his commitment to the activity he loves and applaud his commitment to the people he loves.