EmptySea's SS1000 attempt

Thread starter
The organization I am hoping to help by doing this ride has set up a donation page. I already get so much from the folks on this forum, I am hesitant to even post this, but if you choose to donate, you can follow the link below to do so. Thanks!

Events - Avenues to Independence
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the support, Blockhead.

Funny thing, this 'support' idea. Turns out that I've been a bit apprehensive about this ride. I suppose that's a natural thing; something new, venturing into unknown territory, etc. I know that, to LD riders, this is a walk in the park, but the distance, the record keeping, and the rest have been sources of worry for me over the past few weeks. That is until I started publicizing the ride. Once I put word out that I was doing the ride and doing it for charity, support began to pour in. Monetary support for Avenues is great, but I'm talking about the moral support from friends, family, and the riding community. I've had two people message me on Facebook, one who I know and one who is on the Iron Butt FB page, offer to be my witnesses. I've had 3 private messages and several public ones from folks on this forum. I have had friends who I haven't seen since high school and who live in California donate to the ride.

The support has been quite amazing and it has pushed much of my trepidation about the ride out of my mind. Oh, don't worry, I'm still cautious and I still know that I have enough common sense to quit if I get too tired or sore, but the support has energized me about this ride. It's just about 10 days away and I'm anxious to get on the road.

So thank you all for your support. You have provide me with the mental support I need to make this a successful SS1000 ride.

MTC
 
Candidly, you'll do great. Consider the ride as five successive 200-mile days, not one 1000 mile day, and you'll be surprised at how far you can get down the road before you begin "feeling it." When you get fatigued, get off the bike and take a break. You'll feel replenished and impressed with the miles you've covered so far, and ready to continue. Certainly nothing wrong with that. Wish I could join you!
 
ride.... when tired sleep. when hungry eat .. and eat the beef jerky on your back pocket.... gas up... pee.... try not to engage folks as they will slow you down with small talk....... save small talk for other rides..... HAVE FUN BE SAFE... ride on ....,
 
And sleep,when you're completely knackered.
 
Sensible. I'm confident you'll nail it, MTC. But you've nothing to prove. To anyone.
 
You can do a saddlesore on the CB1100 on a stock seat. BTDT :cool:

However, I used a windshield, which was a good idea, as we were unlucky and had a lot of rain and cold.

Small fuel capacity of my 2013 CB1100 was a little bit annoying.

I wrote a short report of my SS1600K of April 2015 here:
Looking for spring in Tuscany

That was in Italy:
f373c96d17be5c93f40f355acbae1d46.jpg


Have fun!
 
Thread starter
Bought a Ram mount for my phone, a new tailbag (Nelson-Rigg), new gloves (Aerostitch Competition Ropers) today.

The charity I am supporting has raised over $1400 in support of this ride, some of it from people on this forum who I have not even met! Our goal is $2000, so we're inching closer!

Thank you for supporting this organization and my ride.

Matt
 
I see you've cracked $2K, MTC. Well done.
 
Thread starter
Thank you, Cormanus, but the real thanks goes to those who contributed -- and more than a couple from this very forum did just that. You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda..and even on a Honda forum. :)

Mostly packed. Interestingly, I'm packed much lighter than I thought I would be. I guess when I started thinking about this trip, I was focused on the miles, but for packing, I'm only gone for a day. Aside from some extra food, emergency toiletries, and a change of clothes, I'm pretty much packed like I would be for a day ride.

Went for a 100 mile ride and I noticed every bump, ache, and pain. I think it's psychological because I feel great now. Pretty excited about this try. Hitting the road just about 33 hours from the time of this post -- 3:30 Tuesday morning.
 
Good luck, mate. Ride well and safely. 200 miles at a time.
 
Try and relax. Breath slowly. Hope you are able to get some good sleep this evening. Pulling for ya buddy. Don't let the cheesehead on the scooter show you up lol.
 
[quote='The ferret' pid='175965' dateline='1498474793'Don't let the cheesehead on the scooter show you up lol.
[/QUOTE]

Don't go there ferret. An iron butt is not a race or rally.It is nothing but an individual competition with yourself and a 24 hour clock. That is all.

Go for it MTC! Have extra gloves in case you lose one or they get soaked.
 
Back
Top