Egocentric Actions/Results

Curly, I read once that that curve is banked more than it looks and does have sand on it much of the time.

I have no personal experience though, never having been on it. Maybe Ferret can comment as he has driven a car on Mulholland.
 
kmoney_imp said:
The thing is though, the stupidity isn't in the rider's technical skills themselves; rather, it's in the error in judgement in not leaving at least a 20-30% margin for things going wrong or for things you don't foresee. That's the problem with pushing it on the street, is even if you know the road, it's never exactly the same each time and you usually don't get to do a sighting lap before actually doing your high-speed run. If you're pushing it hard enough that things like corner clearance and overloading your front tire become problems, you should be dialing it back.
+1 well said
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Curly, I read once that that curve is banked more than it looks and does have sand on it much of the time.

I have no personal experience though, never having been on it. Maybe Ferret can comment as he has driven a car on Mulholland.
That was my first thought.
And something i noticed during my last vacation in Cali,
in Desert Areas is always some sand almost everywhere
and for sure on the streets.
So at least it´s the driver again who should know where he is driving.

Maybe a stupid question, over here in germany you need to join a
driving school to get a Motorcycle Licence.
You will learn avoiding obstacles, braking in curves, handling turns do emergency braking,
brake and swerve, beside that you need to ride in traffic, by night, on the "Autobahn"
and country roads.

But no matter how stupid some of those people drove, i wish the all get out of it without any serious body damage. Bikes can be replaced or repaired.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm not on facebook so can't view the video, but I agree with your sentiment.
Hi Ferret, I just clicked on the video and watched, I don't think you don't need to be on FB to view...
I have to say it was hard to watch ..I turned if off about halfway thru..
the cringe factor was very high .. :(
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Curly, I read once that that curve is banked more than it looks and does have sand on it much of the time.

I have no personal experience though, never having been on it. Maybe Ferret can comment as he has driven a car on Mulholland.

If the turned were banked correctly it would help hold you onto the road. iF it were off camber, ie banked incorrectly that would certainly cause problems. If there was sand that could certainly cause issues as well, and decreasing turns always seem to catch most people by suprise and unprepared. Since no one was around and I think I was coming from the opposite direction, I'm not sure exactly where that curve is, maybe Tink would know since he lives in the area. I believe all of Mulholland from basically the rock store to the ocean looked bascially like that and remeber saying to my wife how fun it would have been to ride on one of our bikes.

Since all the videos I have seen seem to be in that one spot, usually spectator type crowds, photographers, videographers etc I have to assume that's the trickiest curve on the whole road. They expect that riders are not going to be able to negotiate that curve successfully and apparently there are quite a few that don't dissapoint
 
I suspect there's a happily self-reinforcing operation at work there. Knowing that crowds are gathered to watch, out leather-clad heroes shake the knots out of their shoulders, flex their fingers and go for it on that corner to show how good they are. Only to find ...

Of course, the great State of California should levy a charge on those riders who achieve film star status by coming off on that corner. The charge should be equal to the cost of repairing their bike and should be called the squid tax. Because I thought of it, the take should be deposited in the Cormanus' Benevolent Fund to enable Aussie CB riders to attend the US CB1100 rally each year. :cool:
 
Good experience comes from poor judgement. :angel:

Sand/dust a problem here in Phoenix (as the sky is tan from a darn good wind storm going on right now) so not just from rain or road crews handling snow, wind out here will make a turn very greasy.
 
The person who took the videos is known on Youtube as RNickeyMouse (or "rnickeymouse"); I'm quite a fan of his channel.

I've never ridden on Mulholland Drive, but I'd certainly love to! As for that specific corner where the crashes occur, there must be something deceiving about it.
It's nearly flat (or maybe even off-camber) and probably a decreasing-radius turn, uphill. I think it just catches a lot of riders off-guard.

You can get a good look around 35 seconds in on this video:

I very much agree with the opening statement on this thread, but I think there are a great number of very skilled riders out there, who are just enjoying that road and the chance to let their sportbikes do what they were designed to do. There are exceptions, of course, and crossing the middle yellow is very much frowned upon...the police often react harshly when riders do. The guy has some great-quality video though, and I think he recently picked up a drone for even more shots. Check them out if you care to.
 
well heck no, those guys weren't "racing" at all lol
 
It would appear to get that situation under control speed bumps are required. The usual response to these situations. Here in Texas when entering the three twisted sisters there are signs posted as to how many motorcyclists died in recent years. I must admit it gave me pause for thought.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Lots of folks losing the rear. Too much throttle at the wrong time is an invitation for a high side - which fortunately most escaped.
 
That was tough to watch. I squinted, watched it sideways and managed the whole thing. Taking out the cyclist from behind was probably the worst of it for me. I have to question the wisdom of the patrol officer parking just around that corner knowing motorcycles will come flying around, resulting in exactly what we saw. Of course, I question the wisdom of flying around the corners like that but the officers have to expect the sight of their car will cause riders to panic at a moment when that's the last thing they need.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Using public roads like a personal race track has it's down side. Save it for a track day.

These are very old videos, it is a compilation. Guys are doing this every day in the week up there. Perfectly routine. No one got hurt seriously in any of the incidents, not even the cyclist.
Perhaps you would be kind and elaborate, Ulvetanna? I'm not sure I quite understand the point you're making.
metallyguitarded_imp said:
That was tough to watch. I squinted, watched it sideways and managed the whole thing. Taking out the cyclist from behind was probably the worst of it for me. I have to question the wisdom of the patrol officer parking just around that corner knowing motorcycles will come flying around, resulting in exactly what we saw. Of course, I question the wisdom of flying around the corners like that but the officers have to expect the sight of their car will cause riders to panic at a moment when that's the last thing they need.
I'm with you about it being tough.

You don't think Officer Friendly was parked there purposely do you? When I think about it, he was on to that [not so] hapless victim like a greedy shark.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Using public roads like a personal race track has it's down side. Save it for a track day.

These are very old videos, it is a compilation. Guys are doing this every day in the week up there. Perfectly routine. No one got hurt seriously in any of the incidents, not even the cyclist.
Perhaps you would be kind and elaborate, Ulvetanna? I'm not sure I quite understand the point you're making.
metallyguitarded_imp said:
That was tough to watch. I squinted, watched it sideways and managed the whole thing. Taking out the cyclist from behind was probably the worst of it for me. I have to question the wisdom of the patrol officer parking just around that corner knowing motorcycles will come flying around, resulting in exactly what we saw. Of course, I question the wisdom of flying around the corners like that but the officers have to expect the sight of their car will cause riders to panic at a moment when that's the last thing they need.
I'm with you about it being tough.

You don't think Officer Friendly was parked there purposely do you? When I think about it, he was on to that [not so] hapless victim like a greedy shark.
Perhaps you would be kind and elaborate, Ulvetanna? I'm not sure I quite understand the point you're making.
metallyguitarded_imp said:
That was tough to watch. I squinted, watched it sideways and managed the whole thing. Taking out the cyclist from behind was probably the worst of it for me. I have to question the wisdom of the patrol officer parking just around that corner knowing motorcycles will come flying around, resulting in exactly what we saw. Of course, I question the wisdom of flying around the corners like that but the officers have to expect the sight of their car will cause riders to panic at a moment when that's the last thing they need.
I'm with you about it being tough.

You don't think Officer Friendly was parked there purposely do you? When I think about it, he was on to that [not so] hapless victim like a greedy shark. Go to the rnickeymouse youtube channel and you can get an idea of the situation. That is "r" and then "nickeymouse"; clever the way it looks like "mickeymouse" no?

The officer was doing right, exactly as he was assigned. Thank goodness they are up there and paying attention. They scrape a few of those guys up every weekend. He is up there to discourage that kind of riding but not everyone gets the message.

Of course all the riders who crashed did so due to lack of skill and no other reason. A parked car on the side of the road oughtn't cause anyone to crash even if it is painted black and white. There are cops all up and down that road Saturday and Sunday, everyone knows it, and the posted limit is 35 mph.

Those falls are lessons to the guys who fell down, they all got up and dusted themselves off lived to ride another day. As I said, even the cyclist received only minor injuries. The guy in yellow climbed back up and over the guard rail and was fine as was everyone else.

This is just a very popular spot to show off and test one's riding skills. Obviously there were some shortcomings with these particular riders.

As we've said and heard for a long time, there are two kinds of riders, those who've crashed and those who will. The guys in the video just got it out of the way, and now they can reflect on their need to improve. And also have something to laugh about later. Some might even sign up for a track day, something I heartily endorse.:thumbsup:
I just watched it again and just was laughing my butt off.

Doesn't everybody know that's just how we ride in California?:rofl:

You all do understand those were not all on the same day? They were compiled over many weeks of standing on that hill and taking video.
 
I love the video where the guy flips his BMW and crawls out through the sunroof.

"Turn your car off"
"I'm okay!"

"Turn your car off!!"
"I'm okay, 100% okay!"

 
Elipten_imp said:
Some of the car accidents are far worse.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
Yes. This location is just a flash point for people trying to test their limits, and the audience up there probably exacerbates the situation. Not the best way to get your 15 minutes of fame.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Using public roads like a personal race track has it's down side. Save it for a track day.

These are very old videos, it is a compilation. Guys are doing this every day in the week up there. Perfectly routine. No one got hurt seriously in any of the incidents, not even the cyclist.
These are very old videos, it is a compilation. Guys are doing this every day in the week up there. Perfectly routine. No one got hurt seriously in any of the incidents, not even the cyclist.
I'm sure you're right in that guys are doing this with regularity and I hope you're right that everyone involved in these particular crashes wasn't seriously injured. The fact that the cyclist (or many of the others) didn't get seriously hurt is pure luck. You don't have to try hard to find reports about motorcycle fatalities on roads like Mulholland. If you want to take the position that it's no big deal, you're entitled to do so. I just see it differently.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Some of the car accidents are far worse.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
Yes. This location is just a flash point for people trying to test their limits, and the audience up there probably exacerbates the situation. Not the best way to get your 15 minutes of fame.
Definetely not. Unless you do a perfect Marquez style drift around the corner you're not really going to make it onto YouTube, but if you crash you're basically guaranteed a spot -- it's kind of a no-win.
 
Back
Top