Egocentric Actions/Results

I'm not on facebook so can't view the video, but I agree with your sentiment.
 
That is less about speed or "racing" and more about lack of skill and intelligence. There is a reason there are so many people there to film all these idiots along the same stretch of road. It's a fun ride, and they were all pretty much within the speed limit. The problem is with the ability of the riders.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
Well, clicked on the link again and this time the video came up. Yep that's Mulholland Dr in Cali. Crazy huh? My wife and I were out there last spring (in a car) for a wedding. We drove it on a Monday and no one was around, either there or at the Rock Store. Pretty tricky road in places. Their version of the Dragon, only a little more open.
 
That one videographer (I think there is a YouTube channel devoted to basically crashes from this one corner) probably put his kids through college with all the click through revenue from these.

Also, that guy taking out the cyclists is just brutal. It's not so bad when they go down by themselves, but that...
 
That was a painful 3:02 minutes to watch. The guy in shorts on the scooter obviously wasn't a member of MENSA. :dodgy: Betting that guys over 50 don't account for more than half a percentage point (if that) of the wrecks that take place there. There are some upsides to age...not many, but a few. :thumbsup:
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
That is less about speed or "racing" and more about lack of skill and intelligence. There is a reason there are so many people there to film all these idiots along the same stretch of road. It's a fun ride, and they were all pretty much within the speed limit. The problem is with the ability of the riders.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well said. Some of those turkeys displayed monumental ineptitude. How many were laid over and really "racing"? Most just didn't know how to ride around a relatively innocuous corner. What were they looking at? The cameras, the spectators? The only certainty is they weren't looking where they wanted, or needed, to go. Running off the outside with about 20deg of lean angle? Come on! One turkey even ran off on the inside. Some classic footage of very poor throttle control from riders, and the appellation "riders" is being used loosely, on bikes that seemed to have too much power for their ability.

Good title for this comedy video might be "Looney Tunes". I re-ran a few highlights while splitting my sides with laughter.

Cheers
And I do feel for those cyclists. Riding into a Tarmac asylum is fraught with danger for anyone. That is one reason I avoid some of the more popular motorcycle roads on weekends or holidays. Nothing worse than seeing a bright red Panigale coming at you on the wrong side of the centreline.
 
Well, it may not have seemed like speed or racing to some of us, but I guarantee in their minds, they were racing and going fast and showing those standing around that they could conquer those curves, even if they lacked the talent to do so. They almost all had very fast sport bikes (replica race bikes) and were decked in full leathers (racing suits).. Well except for the scooter dude. They may have been going one at a time, but they were in essence racing that road.

Ive seen some of that guys videos before and in some of them these riders don't just hurt themselves, they run into other riders and cars head on, and plow into the crowds that gather to watch them try and make the curves.
 
Speed yes, particularly measured against ability. Racing is a sport that requires some training and regulation. I don't "race" down to the shop to pick up a six pack. I might use that term but in fact I just walk briskly. I didn't see much racing going on in that video. Just idiots who were well outside their capability envelope. And one thing I have observed is that a supersport and racing leathers doth not a competent motorcyclist make.

Cheers
Also, if you join a crowd to watch those turkeys then you don't get any sympathy from me.
 
It think the county should install bleachers and charge admission. I'd pay if I lived there, good entertainment.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
That is less about speed or "racing" and more about lack of skill and intelligence. There is a reason there are so many people there to film all these idiots along the same stretch of road. It's a fun ride, and they were all pretty much within the speed limit. The problem is with the ability of the riders.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Gotta agree with you there. The level of skill displayed was just appalling.
 
Many had some skills, just very poor judgement.

E.g. the fellow that applied front brake as soon as he saw the cop; problem: He was leaned way over so he pulled a Marquez.

Others were doing OK until they suffered from target fixation - something I myself have a problem with. sigh.

One guy had great form, looking ahead, leaned over, then properly low sided. I suspect it was a decreasing radius corner that bit them as I couldn't really see what was causing the problem since most entered the corner just fine. Which means they displayed poor judgement in "racing" a road they did not know.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Many had some skills, just very poor judgement.

E.g. the fellow that applied front brake as soon as he saw the cop; problem: He was leaned way over so he pulled a Marquez.

Others were doing OK until they suffered from target fixation - something I myself have a problem with. sigh.

One guy had great form, looking ahead, leaned over, then properly low sided. I suspect it was a decreasing radius corner that bit them as I couldn't really see what was causing the problem since most entered the corner just fine. Which means they displayed poor judgement in "racing" a road they did not know.
Most seem to be trying to accelerate out of the curve too soon and losing the back end. Or, they drag a peg and flinch, going upright and heading for the dirt. Not the kind of riding I will attempt. I likes my bike too much to risk it... not to mention my hide :-)
 
The thing is though, the stupidity isn't in the rider's technical skills themselves; rather, it's in the error in judgement in not leaving at least a 20-30% margin for things going wrong or for things you don't foresee. That's the problem with pushing it on the street, is even if you know the road, it's never exactly the same each time and you usually don't get to do a sighting lap before actually doing your high-speed run. If you're pushing it hard enough that things like corner clearance and overloading your front tire become problems, you should be dialing it back.
 
I've seen the vid a number of time now.. I think it boils more down to the lack of experience..

There were three things I was taught that I always remember to redo when I start riding after the winter..

At speed, push the bar in the direction you want to go.. Push left to go left.. It the motorcycle equivalent to turn into the slid.. Yes technically you are turning the front the wrong way, but welcome to counter steering. Don't believe me.. Try it very gently, it works

The second is that the throttle is your friend and will save you more than the brake.. Remember, if you're in a turn and you slow, the bike will stand up and you will go straight.. So if your going quickly and a harsh turn comes up and you slow up, you'll go straight off the road..

Lastly, and this has saved me more times than I can count, look where you want to go.. Target fixation is natural..the best way to deal with it at least for me is to target where I want to be.. If the two items above are practiced, if you know where you want to be, the push in the direction of the turn and use the throttle to get you there, it can happen automatically..

I'd like to think I'm older and wiser now.. However to get here, I was first young and stupid.. I rode roads faster than I should have.. Doing that sooner or later you will meet a ugly decreasing radius turn (fancy way of saying the turn gets tighter as go).. Your choices are to either run wide into a ditch or oncoming traffic. Or to push to the inside and roll on the throttle..

Trust me, I get it.. It's counter intuitive..

Just about every bike in the video shows some kind of hesitation..either entering a turn and the going off the road. Worse, they make it thru the turn (but it's not smooth) and they don't roll on the throttle, they wack it, so the bike either jerks or spins and hello ground.. It as if by having to scrub off too much speed they want to make up on the exit. Which conversely can put you too hot into the next turn..

I was always taught smooth is fast.. So if you lose time in one turn,
You will lose more time overall if try and make up time by using the throttle as a light switch (you know, on off on off)..
 
Natural selection at work there.

In addition to rider error, there had to be a coating of dust/dirt on those corners. Hopefully the guy that took out those cyclists was cuffed and thrown in jail and charged with assault.
 
Back
Top