Efficient Alternative to Backpack Carry

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am required to bring some gear to work that I carry in a backpack. This pack also allows me to bring my lunch and my Nalgene water bottle. I wear it on my back, but it is much more comfortable to ride the bike without the pack on. I was looking to purchase a luggage rack and strap the pack to that. Would that be relatively pain free and efficient process? Am I headed in the proper direction? What are your thoughts?
 
I find luggage racks useful, but is there a reason you can't simply strap it on the rear seat?

Edit: it seems to be pain free installing and removing the OEM rack. Pterodactyl has written a tutorial in the 'How to' section of the forum.
 
Do you wear this back pack when you're off the bike, as part of your job or because you have a long walk from the parking lot? If so, I'd figure out how to strap it to the seat, as Cormanus suggested. It's the cheapest alternative and works just fine. A cargo net or bungees (look at rok straps) are easy purchases and can be used to secure other items. If you don't really need to use the backpack off the bike, then a solution like JPT suggested would be great. I think REI sells a dry bag that top loads but has an over the shoulder carrying strap. Pretty easy to strap something like that to the rear seat, too. My wife commuted to work on her CTX for a year using a backpack as a tail bag. Hope this helps. Good luck :)
 
I have a Nelson-Rigg expandable tail bag. Big enough to hold a full face helmet plus but when zipped it pretty short. A lap top easily fits in it. I paid under a $100 for it on line and it has a waterproof cover that comes with it.
LeatherUp USA
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Do you wear this back pack when you're off the bike, as part of your job or because you have a long walk from the parking lot? If so, I'd figure out how to strap it to the seat, as Cormanus suggested. It's the cheapest alternative and works just fine. A cargo net or bungees (look at rok straps) are easy purchases and can be used to secure other items. If you don't really need to use the backpack off the bike, then a solution like JPT suggested would be great. I think REI sells a dry bag that top loads but has an over the shoulder carrying strap. Pretty easy to strap something like that to the rear seat, too. My wife commuted to work on her CTX for a year using a backpack as a tail bag. Hope this helps. Good luck :)
The tailbag I got has a retractable handle in it - zips into its own slot, a slot big enough to double as a pocket for water bottle or cellphone.

If you don't mind using your hand, as you would a briefcase, you can quickly take it off and with you.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I find luggage racks useful, but is there a reason you can't simply strap it on the rear seat?

Edit: it seems to be pain free installing and removing the OEM rack. Pterodactyl has written a tutorial in the 'How to' section of the forum.
Never tried this, but did it this morning and it worked really swell. Thanks!
 
Back
Top